Chaos Dice

Who'd have thought I'd be posting new topics of my own in here? :lol:

In any case, to business. My girl is getting into the game, and she LOVES you spiky gits. We've bought her a Chaos box set as well as a box of Noise Marines (she hates the pewter, by the way :) ). She hasn't assembled much yet, but she's already looking around for dice.

She's found a few designs she likes, mainly Chessex speckled colors, but she really wants to do dice with custom faces.

The problem is, she's stumped for what she wants to put on her dice. Of course she wanted cult/god icons on her dice, but I let her know the company can't do that or risk a GW lawsuit.

So how about it fellas? Do you have custom Chaos dice? Any pictures or ideas you can share that won't invite lawsuits from GW if we were to act on it?

Thanks in advance!

I have six 16mm black dice with red markings. For the sides 2 to 6, they are just the regular pips. On the "one face" is the chaos star with a small skull in the centre. I bought them off eBay. I use them for leadership test and the like, otherwise I use different coloured 12 mm dice.

Why not get some of the B&C dice? they're currently taking orders, check out the news section in amicus. All the 1-5 pips are skulls, and the 6 face is a skull with 2 crossed femur bones behind it. Just get a chaotic color combo like black dice with red pips.

Who'd have thought I'd be posting new topics of my own in here? :)

In any case, to business. My girl is getting into the game, and she LOVES you spiky gits. We've bought her a Chaos box set as well as a box of Noise Marines (she hates the pewter, by the way :lol: ). She hasn't assembled much yet, but she's already looking around for dice.

She's found a few designs she likes, mainly Chessex speckled colors, but she really wants to do dice with custom faces.

The problem is, she's stumped for what she wants to put on her dice. Of course she wanted cult/god icons on her dice, but I let her know the company can't do that or risk a GW lawsuit.

So how about it fellas? Do you have custom Chaos dice? Any pictures or ideas you can share that won't invite lawsuits from GW if we were to act on it?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, there is a way to get chaos symbols on the Chessex dice and Chessex will do it.

At the Store birthdays a few years ago, GW sold custom dice made by chessex (I know they did, because I bought 60 of them in 3 years).

Each Dice had what looked like 3 mountains on the 6 side of each die. When you placed 4 dice in a square pattern together, it made the Chaos star.

Ask Chessex for that symbol ( they will make them, I've spoken to them about making more like mine and they still had the symbol pattern the last time I spoke to them about it.)

The colors used for the ones I have match up like this, all are from the Speckled Dice line and have white pips and symbols:

Nurgle:Recon

Tzeentch: Water

Slaanesh: Earth

Khorne: Mercury

Undivided #1: Fire

Undivided #2: Cobalt

Undivided #3: Granite

Undivided #4: Urban Camo

Undivided #5: Arctic Camo

Undivided #6: Ninja

I don't think they do the Speckleds anymore as custom dice, but you can call and ask.

Give that a try.

Hmm, that's encouraging... If they've done Chaos dice in the past and are still doing them, looks like we'll just have to ask for those!

I showed her the B&C dice, but she's not interested. I'm the B&C'er, not her- that and they're not Chaosy enough for her :)

Thanks for the answers... Any chance I can get some pictures of these?

Hmm, that's encouraging... If they've done Chaos dice in the past and are still doing them, looks like we'll just have to ask for those!

I showed her the B&C dice, but she's not interested. I'm the B&C'er, not her- that and they're not Chaosy enough for her :cuss

Thanks for the answers... Any chance I can get some pictures of these?

I can try and post one within the next day or so on here as to what one looks like.

In any case, to business. My girl is getting into the game, and she LOVES you spiky gits. We've bought her a Chaos box set as well as a box of Noise Marines (she hates the pewter, by the way :HQ: ). She hasn't assembled much yet, but she's already looking around for dice.
This is going a little OT, but I know of a way to make "sonic blasters" using boltguns, backpacks, and some modelling sand. If she doesn't like the pewters, there's other ways to feel the noise.

Here you go. It's not the best pics of them, but you get the idea. These are the Nurgle Dice (Recon Speckled).

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Kottonmouths/010.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Kottonmouths/011.jpg

Fantastic, Alpharius, thanks for that :D I can see that those dice are well-loved and well-used!

Heh, Possessed Marine... The B&C dice are really not Chaosy enough. Skull & X-bones? And more skulls? Come on now, skulls without spikes is Loyalist iconography ;) "Death is a servant of the righteous", and all that. But perhaps I'd better stop before I get thrown out of this corner of the forum :drool:

If anyone else has other examples of Chaos dice, she'd like to see them :jaw:

Fantastic, Alpharius, thanks for that ;) I can see that those dice are well-loved and well-used!

LOL I wish GW still sold them at their Store Birthdays. I prefer them over the crappy ones they sell in the cube in store.

Plus the ones they sell are 12mm. Mine are the larger 16mm.

I'm not sure if they were a limited thing or not, but the skull dice for fantasy were quite chaosy I thought. That's why I bought them anyway. :rolleyes:

I personally didn't care for the skull dice. They felt too light to me.

BTW, The SoM dice that are now sold out are essentially the same dice design.

not chaosy enough? then they never will be, short of using actual knuckle bones.

:D So she took a look at this thread, and she declared that you are not a true Chaos player- that you are not corrupted enough since you think plain skulls are plenty chaosy. ^_^ (All in jest, of course.)

She's very gung ho about this, eh? :D

I think she's settled on the idea of a Chaos star, but she doesn't want it spread over multiple dice, she wants it all on one die. She's basically debating between either the Chaos symbol where all of the arrows are varying lengths or the one with one arrow very long and the others short around the circle.

Now to find some decent line art versions of those so we can send them to Chessex and make her traitorous Marines some traitorous dice!

not chaosy enough? then they never will be, short of using actual knuckle bones.

;) So she took a look at this thread, and she declared that you are not a true Chaos player- that you are not corrupted enough since you think plain skulls are plenty chaosy. :lol: (All in jest, of course.)

She's very gung ho about this, eh? ^_^

I think she's settled on the idea of a Chaos star, but she doesn't want it spread over multiple dice, she wants it all on one die. She's basically debating between either the Chaos symbol where all of the arrows are varying lengths or the one with one arrow very long and the others short around the circle.

Now to find some decent line art versions of those so we can send them to Chessex and make her traitorous Marines some traitorous dice!

chaos isn't a competition, I could tell you about how chaosy I am, but I'd rather have my friends sing about it. :lol: and besides, skulls are universal, and certainly better looking than plain old pips or numbers :P

Not sure why people think this, but the Chaos star was NOT invented by GW. So yes it is fair game on dice.

For the same reason people think the swastika is a German invention when it actually originated in the Indus Valley civilizations, way back in antiquity; not everyone knows the things you know :lol: I appreciate the input though, it's good to find out as a certainty that I can safely get dice with the "chaos" star. :devil:

this thread on warseer features sme chaos dice from chessex

the 8-pointed chaos star is from Michael Moorcock right?

According to wikipedia ....

The Symbol of Chaos originates from Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion stories. In them, the Symbol of Chaos comprises eight arrows in a radial pattern. In contrast, the symbol of Law is a single upright arrow. It is also called the Arms of Chaos, the Arrows of Chaos, the Chaos Star or the Symbol of Eight.

Moorcock contends that he conceived this symbol while writing the first Elric of Melniboné stories in the early 1960s. It was subsequently adopted into the pop-cultural mainstream, turning up in such diverse places as modern occult traditions and role-playing games.

There are a number of traditional symbols that have the same geometrical pattern as Moorcock's symbol of Chaos, such as any of various eight-pointed stars (like this one from a Greek vase from the fifth century BCE), the star of Ishtar/Venus, the Eastern Dharmacakra and the Wheel of the Year, but none of these were symbols of chaos and their limbs are not arrows.

Furthermore, the '8' of Wands in Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot deck features prominently an eight-pointed star with arrows at the ends. Crowley described the card as representing "energy" scattering at "high velocity" that had managed to create the depicted eight-pointed figure.

Moorcock says, about his version —

The origin of the Chaos Symbol was me doodling sitting at the kitchen table and wondering what to tell Jim Cawthorn the arms of Chaos looked like. I drew a straightforward geographical quadrant (which often has arrows, too!) – N, S, E, W – and then added another four directions and that was that – eight arrows representing all possibilities, one arrow representing the single, certain road of Law. I have since been told that it is an "ancient symbol of Chaos" and if it is then it confirms a lot of theories about the race mind. … As far as I know the symbol, drawn by Jim Cawthorn, first appeared on an Elric cover of Science Fantasy in 1962, then later appeared in his first comic version of Stormbringer done by Savoy [iSBN 0-7045-0226-7].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos

[Edit to add]

BTW, the dharmacakra -- which is closest ancient symbol to the chaos wheel we are so fond of -- is a Buddhist symbol for order and enlightenment.

Archived