Marneus Calgar: can he be played in a competitive army?

Cmdr Shepard

I've long had Calgar on my 'to get' list...though i've got a heck of a lot to be painting up already and i'm not 100% sure on this 'finecast' they've released....I see so many people with problems on their models it kind of puts me off!

I would LIKE to run Calgar AND his Honour Guard (I agree with Idaho here and have to say that I wouldnt use Calgar unless he was in his terminator armour), but that makes things rather hard to work with....at least in lower point games (land raider costs, plus the fact it ends up with a 'shoot me first sign')...so i've sort of resigned myself to seeing that I would have to make it work in a different way, using him with a small number of bodies on foot (perhaps terminators) who can then shoot on the go and retain decent assault prowess as opposed to the poor HG who, if walking would struggle quite a bit as everyone would shoot them knowing full well what they could do (or learning very quickly) I like HG, but I agree and say they need more options and something a little sweeter to make them more viable!

Calgar with a small number of bodies is potentially enough to help dominate a flank, he could spearhead an attack on an objective or provide an excellent distraction and with his teleport homer, hes guaranteed to get some decent support if you have something nasty in reserve..that way he can act on his own, or as part of the army to make a meaningful impact on the battlefield

After I built my kustom Calgar this weekend I went to throw a list together to go along with him.

It was mostly your typical MEQ stuff, but I had some point left over, points I would normally spend on dreads, and was drawn to devastators.

Calgar really helps these guys more than you would think.

If you combat squad them or not, they aren't going anywhere if they take casualties.

I'm gonna try them out, likely with 1 Las Cannon and 2 ML in case of objective games and see how they do.

As mentioned above, I think Calgar becomes quite effective with more bodies on the board. I am currently scrounging up models to give him a go with 3 Tactical Squads, a bunch of Attack Bikes, and Devs/Sternguard.

Not quite sure on that. It's the same old way of doing things like maxing out melta and flamer weapons because you have Vulkan; sure you have a strong hook but you are also stunted tactically.

I'd probably have slightly less bodies (like 30 Tacticals and 5 or so Tacticals) so I can have more quality like Typhoons and the like.

You are giving me several ideas about Clagar lists, Battle Brothers.

The Calgar/Vaguard CC combo appears very interesting. An infantry army will need a way to reach objectives or getting into weapon's range and I suppose the more infantry models we field the less points we can allocate to transports.

Typhoon land speeder sounds a nice way to delivering a long range "fire support".

Calgar/Vanguard was how I got into the game. He's a beast, and his presence means the Vanguard need not take any power fists...so they can take a lit claw or two and a host of storm shields and suddenly they're the most annoying tarpit since Hammernators. The difference? They don't kill you in a round. Or two. But they still take stupid amounts of punishment before they go down. Not to mention they ride in on another bullet sink...a land raider. Even if they lose combat, they can choose to stand their ground if I want them too. Also, Calgar in PA + a PA Vanguard means they can Sweep. *starry eyes*

That monstrosity of a unit would hold the majority of my opponent's army mid table while my tacticals skirted around into position, taking objectives or preparing for my Vanguard to flee (choose to fail) so they could rapid fire those targets just before the V went back in again.

I miss Calgar.

Calgar/Vanguard was how I got into the game. He's a beast, and his presence means the Vanguard need not take any power fists...so they can take a lit claw or two and a host of storm shields and suddenly they're the most annoying tarpit since Hammernators. The difference? They don't kill you in a round. Or two. But they still take stupid amounts of punishment before they go down. Not to mention they ride in on another bullet sink...a land raider. Even if they lose combat, they can choose to stand their ground if I want them too. Also, Calgar in PA + a PA Vanguard means they can Sweep. *starry eyes*

That monstrosity of a unit would hold the majority of my opponent's army mid table while my tacticals skirted around into position, taking objectives or preparing for my Vanguard to flee (choose to fail) so they could rapid fire those targets just before the V went back in again.

I miss Calgar.

Do you think the capability to sweep is a good reason to not giving Calgar the TDA? I just ask because first I really like the TDA Calgar model ;), secondly because I wonder if he really needs a 2+ armour save.

What Land Raider do you use for them?

My take on Calgar: don't take infantry armies just because of him, mech your vanillas up anyway - sooner or later the enemy will peel you out of your shiny mech and then GoW will see use.

Since Calgar is so expensive and he has an army-wide rule it stands to reason that he becomes more useful at higher point games, say 2500+. Below that, other HQ choices are more interesting in my mind.

Also I wouldn't stick him to Assault Terminators: they can handle themselves. I'd stick them to more shooty guys (Tac Termies or Sternguard, for example) and thus dissuade anyone who isn't highly specialized in combat (or has the numbers) to stay away from charging.

Alex

I pretty much completely agree with ak-73 on all the points, after all Calgar is pretty monstrous in a fight, so it makes sense to use him in a unit that doesnt have any melee teeth. If you so chose, you could have honour guard in a different vehicle and then have 2 pretty nasty melee units roaming around....

I've always wanted to field calgar (albeit in a lower, 1500 points game) as he is so awesome...

I miss Calgar.

Why not change back to nilla marines? You already know the power of the Calgar side Thade :tu:

Archived