Tactica: LS Loadout

Ecritter

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/davey8oy/P7140001-1.jpg

Been having my army painted for me and this came up in the commission thread. Here's how I see it.

Typhoon Launchers can fire 48", with either Heavy 2, or Heavy 2, Blast; and,

Heavy Flamer fires on a template with Assault 1; so,

I see them as both having a good medium/long range and a superb close range loadout. Am I wrong?

The problem is, you've got a really short-ranged weapon combined with a rather long-ranged weapon. With the missile launcher, you're going to want to be running around far away from things and popping off shots, where with the flamer, you're more looking for a cheap unit to drop in and toast some infantry. I'd stick with the base heavy bolter. Still gives you anti-infantry firepower, as well as a range more suited to it.

yeah i think thats a decent build..

you can fire krak at long range, or move up and fire the flamer with the frag templates as defensive weapons too...

lots of blast and templates, should ruin most horde armies day

Yes, it's fine, I've used it.

You have 2 Krak Missiles at long range with a Template and 2 Frags at short range. It's true you lose 3 HB shots at 36", but you gain a superior close-range repulsion unit.

I don't think a flamer with Typhoon is any good. It contradicts the prime role of the most expensive weapon system and to get any use out of the heavy flamer you need to close and put your expensive Landspeeder in the firing line.

I'd go with the Heavy bolter to keep down costs and it compliments the Typhoon Launcher.

The cost is identical. And in my experience, things will get close to your typhoon, the Heavy Flamer is there for when it happens.

And really, how often do you need the Heavy Bolter? Early game you mostly fire Kraks at Transports, Late Game things will be up close and personal anyway.

My idea was to use ML early game, and then close with the HF later after bigger targets are neutralized. Also, as was stated ... someone is always gonna get close eventually and its nice to have something heavy to hold them off.

Also, fluff wise Orks are the most hated enemies of this chapter ... so horde hammering is a must with the HF.

But in the end I do want it to be a viable unit.

One of the guys from the White Scars blog uses the HF Typhoon and in fairly large tournaments.

I think the HB version is easier to use, especially if the Typhoon is in a squadron.

Firing the HB at AV10 open topped is still valid [which would be Deldar and Orks] with the kraks. Also, the HB and defensive weapons are nice against light infantry, yet you are not exposing the Typhoon to their small arms fire.

Pretty much what the others have said.

But like Koremu and GC08 have said, there comes a time when the ferocity of the HF will be much greater than the HB.

HF are one of the best weapons in the game, much better than flamers.

With MM HF Speeders, in the middle turns, your opponent might not know which weapon to destroy if he has both transports and men on the table.

With a HB Typhoon, it is very obvious to take off the ML over the HB. But mid-game, is it so obvious to take off the ML when you have the HF too?

I think the HB version is easier to use, as you can chip away at the opponent all game. The HF version has more of a juxtaposed armament, and so will be harder to get the most from it.

I think the kill rate of the HB Typhoon would be more like a steady line graph, whereas the HF Typhoon would be more of an exponential graph.

Give the HF a go. You might find you love it. If it does work out, switch back to the HB. Extra easy if you have used magnets :P

I think the HB version is easier to use, as you can chip away at the opponent all game. The HF version has more of a juxtaposed armament, and so will be harder to get the most from it.

This is what I'm going to personally take away from this thread. Both builds are viable; like everything else, the bottom line will depend on what kind of list they are used in.

This build certainly does have a lot of utility. And yeah, it can do a number on any light infantry that gets near it.

Could be a really good first turn scouts hunter too--swoop up from behind terrain and bust thru any lightly armored infiltrating nonsense.

Cheers.

This is what I'm going to personally take away from this thread. Both builds are viable; like everything else, the bottom line will depend on what kind of list they are used in.

Part of my 1500 pts army list in the Commission Thread.

Archived