GW submissions

Colrouphobic

Tried my luck at getting a job at GW's in-house studio.

These where my submissions (yes, one of them is a longsword. If it is bad then please remove it or ask me to).

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/200/e/9/bloodangel_by_1mpact-d40uvtz.jpg

I'd agree with Olgerth that the BA pose is a bit awkward but both pieces are excellent. The BA's pose makes him look like he's twisting his torso to far in the wrong direction to be natural. His hair is nice though, obviously the Emperor's hair stylist. :)

JG

Your shading and color choices are excellent; your proportions are wrong.

It looks like the top half of the marine is leaning forward, so it makes sense that his arms are their current size and his body seems a bit short. However, the leg looks like it belongs on another marine entirely; one that is fully upright running to the left of the picture (whereas the marine's body seems to be coming forward).

The swordsman's legs are not long enough considering the size of the hips/thighs; the arms look too short (thought that may be a matter of perspective with his left arm "sticking out towards us"...but if that's the case, that is not rendered clearly).

Keep try! :) They are not terrible, and the shading/coloring looks very good.

Thade, the Empire Greatsword is supposed to have thighs that thick... it's the clothes. If you've ever seen the Empire range of models, they all have fluffy pants like that. That is also probably the best art of a Greatsword I've ever seen, completely matches the model and the shading is great! Great job!

I understand what you were going for with the Marine pose, and while the coloration and all that is good, the pose didn't really work out. If you reverse the directon the legs are running that might look a little better!

Great job overall!

Thade, the Empire Greatsword is supposed to have thighs that thick... it's the clothes. If you've ever seen the Empire range of models, they all have fluffy pants like that.

I am aware of that. Nevertheless, the legs look too short, in my opinion. It's the thickness of the calves that really do it, I think.

I love the "greatsword" he as others have said is probably one of the best renditions i have seen :wub:

the Bloodangel looks great but yes...the leg pose seems awkward :HQ: ,great artwork doubtless!!!

@ thade -(this is not a flame or trolling) but can you put your drawing skills where your mouth is...lets see some of your work :) so Colrouphobic can understand how you tackled the problems your telling him to fix....

i always think/suspect critics who never show their work are armchair artists...kinda like overweight/lazy people who have never played a game of anything in their life watching a sport event and bagging the players for their lack of skill.....

Mithril

Thanks guys,

GW was hiring an illustrator for their in-house studio. It came up on their website, so I sent in a few example images. These above are what came out of the second phase.

Sad as it is, there was one illustrator better then me and I didnt get the job. Thats why I posted these, since they do not longer need to be exclusive to the GW HR-department.

your proportions are wrong.

Well, he was submitting to GW studio. It's never been a major issue for the art department there.

:)

Good stuff, keep at it and develop your skills further and you can make a living doing something you love to do!

@ thade -(this is not a flame or trolling) but can you put your drawing skills where your mouth is...lets see some of your work

Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this board; does it not exist for constructive criticism and feedback? That is what I offer. Forgive me for not cushioning my entire post with smiley's and implicit hand-waving. His color work is very good. His proportions need work.

I don't appreciate you directly flaming and trolling me.

your proportions are wrong.

Well, he was submitting to GW studio. It's never been a major issue for the art department there.

:P

Good stuff, keep at it and develop your skills further and you can make a living doing something you love to do!

Ibm, I already do. I earn a decent living on this.

The GW thing would have provided more stability, not more cash...

Thade- I believe the forum for critique is the wip-forum, but no harm done. I take constructive critique anytime...

Thade- I believe the forum for critique is the wip-forum, but no harm done. I take constructive critique anytime...

I meant no offense, so hopefully none was taken. I still think they should give you a job. <3

I meant no offense, so hopefully none was taken. I still think they should give you a job. <3

Absolutely none taken!

Cheers guys.

Hey, I sent some stuff to GW too, but have yet to get an answer. Actually, if I´m not mistaken, the artist who got the job is a friend of mine (workmate, actually). GW guys were suppossed to write back before Monday last week and I´m still waiting; not very professional from them.

@ mithrilforge. So in order to comment on a subject you need to be skilled at that subject? So unless you are a director/actor, you shouldnt critisise films? If you're not a professional tennis player, you shouldn't complain about how the match is going? etc etc

In my opinion (and yes, I'm entitled to my opinion, I am the intended consumer of the images after all), the empire soldier is awesome, I can see what Thade means about the legs, but I didn't notice until he mentioned it. The marines pose does look awkward, but the rest of it is good.

This is not intended to be a flame or troll ;)

Archived