Land Raider Kurske

FireFist

These are the first pics of the flame-storm cannons turned plasma cannons. Here's a link to the rules for the Kurske.

gallery_47148_6322_60885.jpg

gallery_47148_6322_173179.jpg

that's one sponson down and one more plus the Land Raider to go. This only my second green stuff requiring project as my first conversion only required a simple repositioning and weapon swap.

I wont lie, it needs some real work, honestly I would have used plastic sheeting, much easier to make it symmetrical

I did have a sudden thought that the Leeman rus kit has a relatively similar sized plasma cannon turret main weapon.. it would probably fit perfectly with a sand down.

Going to agree with the sentiment. This isn't very good. I'd recommend you take a flat piece of card to even out the side of the cannon. Also, you're going to need to put detail on that side as well, because it's going to look wrong without anything detailing it.

Right now it looks like a moldy Cheeto.

in hind sight my above comment may have seemed harsh! SB is correct though you have the shape and detail down, a future advice on sole use of Greenstuff, I would make draw out the shape on paper, and make it against a flat surface. just the basic shape you want, and slightly slimmer by 2 mm all over. let it dry, sand it, shave it or whatever then glue into place, onto that you can sculp your basic detail, as it seems the problem is a large piece of soft greenstuff being pushed in different directions causing lumpiness! making an "inner structure" first will save all that! :D

good going and a worthy first/second try! its all about learning and finding ways that suit you to make it easier and more to your liking!

Experience breeds knowledge.

Like the above posts have mentioned, you have the shape and some of the details, but without a base, GS is very hard to shape into a flat neat detailed shape, especially such a large quantity. Definitely try plastic card/just make a base to sculpt over out of some sprues or something. It's all about trial and error. Sometimes it can make you feel like this though ---> ^_^

I may over my own piece of advice though; I noticed there was some yellow stuff in the GS, that is unmixed/hardened putty and is most likely making those hard lumps which are a pain. When you're mixing the GS, if you notice any lumps or what not, remove them, you may lose a little GS but trust me, it will make life allot easier. :tu:

Just keep going and just keep breathing :D

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

[EDIT] BTW, cool idea with the LR Kurske, may I ask where the name 'Kurske' comes form?

@Chapter Master Ignis Domus+ Olisredan, ah true sons of the Primarchs. you are actually some of the first to think there was any relation between my LR and that most wonderful battle. But see if there was I most likely would have made a tank killer, which is some thing my army really needs. Though I do hope to eventually make some predator or LR tanks that look like tanks from WW2. If you wish to discuss the rules or the name please go to the rules for the LRK using the link in my first post.

However on the topic of how my tank is coming along I have started on the second set of plasma cannons. Unfortunately I am still needing to obtain a LR to mount the sponsons on so I am expecting this thread to go into hibernation after I finish the second set of plasma cannons.

sounds cool,couple of questions though

@Khargan, are talking about the executioner cannon or is it actually the sponson cannon?

@Chapter Master Ignis Domus, are you also talking about executioner cannons or sponson cannons?

Because I've been pondering holding off on finishing the second set of plasma cannons and instead ordering then converting FW dready plasmas.

@Chapter Master Ignis Domus, if I were to use executioner cannons for my plasma I would need to green stuff half the gun to make it look like an more or less normal plasma cannon. Also how big are the sponson plasma cannons, because I would prefer them to be around the size of inferno cannons, so they can match with my GS plasma cannons.

Hey guys would I use super glue or plastic glue for the plasticard?

Plastic glue will make the bond permanent. Super glue will allow you some flexibility as you can usually break the pieces apart or use a de-bonding agent to get the parts separated. So plastic glue if you are sure about the parts, super glue if you might change your mind.

Wouldn't the plasma cannons that come with the Stormraven be about the right size for twin linked plasma cannons?

If you get two sets of them, you'd have two left hand and two right hand which could be fit into the sponsons?

Haven't tried this myself, but often though about a plasma based LR variant and using those parts.

@Coopervisor, maybe but the reason I am using GS, plasticard and flamestorms is because I already have them and at the current moment and for the foreseeable future I am and will be broke.

Hey guys thanks for the tip to use plasticard. It really makes a difference. I just finished my 3rd plasma cannon and it looks so much better than the others. I'll post pictures of them after I finish my 4th plasma cannon.

Well finished my both plasmas for the second sponson so here they are. The sides have plasticard to give them shape so the don't look like "moldy cheetos." On the otherhand that patch of yello is a dry bit of yellow GS that refused to mix properly and so looks like a pat of butter.

gallery_47148_6322_41909.jpg

gallery_47148_6322_94496.jpg

Now I need the Land Raider itself.

Archived