To DIY or Not To DIY

Evil eyeball

Since I've never played loyalists before but I love DA and DA fluff I want to get some and complete the HATE triangle that my girlfriend and I have 2 sides of allready. I have Thousand Sons and She has Space wolves, So logical progression is I get DA who dislike Chaos and Dislike Wolves.

My question comes down to Do i want to do Standard DA marines or a DIY sucessor as outlined here.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;#entry2817293

looking for input either side

The Purist in me says that the trifecta should be completed with standard DA. Though the 2nd Founding could be seen to carry on the same tradition as their first heroes may have borne witness to the two Primarchs fighting.

The Modeller in me says to do what you think is cool and would be fun to paint and play. The Wolves heightened sense of smell may help them identify those who have the blood of the Lion and would challenge a successor chapter to the honor dual. To become a battle the challenge wasn't taken in good faith and the successor thought the Wolves traitorous or their honor besmirched and then a battle ensues. Any known successor or a totally invented one could be used in this case. DIY have the benefit of allowing creativity to have free reign and as they are not established they could be used with another codex to allow some gaming flexibility.

Now if you want to honk off a fellow DA player (and what self-confident Wolf wouldn't want to), you could paint up a Fallen Dark Angels group. They would remember the battle between the Lion and the Wolf and as they have gone to Chaos, they would freely go to battle with the Wolves and the Sons. Their questionable devotion to the Powers or the Lion opens them up to use at least 3 Codexes without too much fuss. My own group followed the idea set forth by the 13th Company and have mix-matched armor to illustrate that some have fallen further than others.

funny part captain semper when she started i had her look over all the codecies to see which army she liked best. she came down to WH and SW... when i told her the WH models were due for a redeux and were all metal and expensive she said SW... I then told her she'd picked my mortal enemy. we both laughed

as for you grand master belial im tending to agree about standard DA. and they have a sweet colour scheme too. i just need to come up with a nice list and buy units when ive got money. i did trade some 2nd ed books recently (tomorrow hopefully) for a 10 man unassembled dev squad and a land raider which was cool

NO NO NO NO NOT those preciousssssss.

:Goes to his rogue trader era stash of books and codices,unlocks the chest and pets his grimouars:Dont get stressed,daddy still loves you:

Ahem,those books are really priceless,hope you wont regret it.I would trade my girlfriend for those!

No,i am just trying to be funny without results.Anyway,the fallen theme would indeed be great,the only fluffwise point against would be that the fallen dont get into such large groups(up to date that is)to have armor dreads and stuff.

Wait a minute...What did i just said?A fallen dreadnaught?!?!?!?!?!?!?Checks prices...

:Honeyyyyyyyyyyy,you are going to Arabia first class no return,i just got a nice deal for you,happy permanent vacation!!!!:

There is a black library short story with a single Fallen Dreadnought. So I gave one to my unit.

Cypher used to / still has this ability to draw Fallen to him. I used that as my inspiration for my small force. Cypher was doing something that took a while to complete and the next thing he knows, there are fellow Fallen seeking him out. They form a warband and go off to fight for redemption/personal glory. With only Cypher having the mysterious benefactor, he gets whisked away and the rest of the Fallen are left to fend for themselves or dissolve back into hiding.

I'm sorry you had to exchange 2nd Ed. books... But hey! You started your force -with devs no less! Well I know you are going for DAs but can't I sway your opinion to Disciples of Caliban? Similar overall visual effect (only a tad darker as black comes into play) and a background that kicks butt! Nice work on the Plasma Cannons btw... Keep walking!

EDIT: I recall this short story "Unforgiven" with the fallen dreadnought (re-read it after it was brought up in another thread here like a week ago). A chilling description for sure!

Its ok, I bought the second ed books on Ebay back in 2003 to re-sell to a friend who collected 2nd edition books, I figured i'd only slightly mark them up from the sweet deal i got and just profit slightly while helping him out but then he told me he was on a hiatus in his collection at that point. Anyway fast forward to now and I havent seen the dude since like 2005 so I traded them.

Yes they are devs, but I still need to get some Bolter marines when i have steady work to mix into the squad as right now after giving away the 3 Missile Marines to my Girlfriend I'm left with 2 Plasma Gunners, 2 Las Cannoners, 2 Heavy Bolter dudes and a Multi Melta marine. Though nice not a devistator squad does that make. Though if i get some Tac marines I'll have plenty of heavy weapon options for the squad LOL.

Question for you DA people, DO you base coat your DA black or white? I've only ever done black base coat armies... yet i'm finding the DA green is so dark over black.... Is this what i want?

I have made it my goal to include in this army things I can't get in my thousand sons force...

Help me if I'm missing anything here

Chaplains

Apothecarys

Land speeders

Attack Bikes

Cyclone Missile Launchers

Storm shields

Command Squads

Scouts

Tech Marines

Whirlwinds

Rqzorbacks

drop pods

Land Raider Crusader/Redemers

Not only should you probably base coat black before painting the DA green, there are some who only use the DA green as a heavier first highlight and don't paint the entire model DA green, but leave it black so that only the highlights actually hint at the green. It is also very nice looking that way.

Question for you DA people, DO you base coat your DA black or white? I've only ever done black base coat armies... yet i'm finding the DA green is so dark over black.... Is this what i want?

If youre going traditional green then yes, Id highly recommend over black...this saves a lot of frustration with getting wierd white points when the paint doesnt quite cover the whole area.... yes yes this can be avoided, but its still frusterating when it happens.

As I am currently repainting my whole collection into the DA schemes....yes, after long hiatus i decided to return to my orignial chapter choice... I found a nice easy way: Army Painter Angel Green primer is almost EXACTLY dark angels green in a primer form. My current run is prime with angel green, wash with thrakka green, drybrush snot green... but then I do really like dark dark angels green so this works quite well. a thicker drybrush of snot might brighten it up for anyone who doesnt want so dark.

and then paint the white robes over top? I did that when i used robed minis for my Tzeentch Thousand Sons Chosen Sorcerers and it was heck to get the white on. I figured a white undercoat on the robes, with bleached bone over top, and then a bone and white mix next with highlights of white then put black on the undercoat of the non robed sections and do da green

Two thinned layers of a light color Foundation Paint (I know they say you don't have to thin them, but it just seems to coat smoother to me) such as Astronomican Grey (if you are trying to do actual white) or possibly Dheneb Stone for a light bone color should go over and cover the black base coat just fine.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the threadomancy, But I'm bringing this back from the dead

And also informing everyone who said to keep the girl, August 24th 2012 is the date for the wedding, I'm making a bride of her.

Also I think i will not be DIYing, I'll just do plain old DA, but make some characters for my greenwing and make them be from companies with no established characters.. We must after all complete the <| (Triangle) of hate with actual DA such that DA HATE SW and TS, SW hate DA and TS, TS Hate SW and DA

Archived