Rapid Fire range

Cpt_Reaper

While reading through my Grey Knight codex I saw that hot-shot lasguns are rapid fire at 18 inchs. The rulebook shows 24 inch as the example of the maximum range, with the rapid fire distance being 12 inch. When a weapon with a different range rapid fires, such as the hot-shot lasgun, does it half the maximum range or fire at 12 inch?

While reading through my Grey Knight codex I saw that hot-shot lasguns are rapid fire at 18 inchs. The rulebook shows 24 inch as the example of the maximum range, with the rapid fire distance being 12 inch. When a weapon with a different range rapid fires, such as the hot-shot lasgun, does it half the maximum range or fire at 12 inch?

Rapid fire is 12inches. In 3rd edition I believe it was half range, but now it is always 12 inches.

It might also be worth pointing out that the entry you'r elooking at is actually that Hellguns are rapid fire weapons with an 18" range. Not rapid fire at 18".

It took me quite a while to get adjusted from 4th ed. I spent much of my time staying 16 in. away from the Tau.

Huh? Even in 4th Ed rapid fire was 12", regardless of maximum weapon range.

I'm not joking, and don't call me Shirley :D.

I haven't played 3rd Ed, but I have played 4th Ed, and it's always been played as 12". It's a common misconception that Tau rapid fire 15", even in today's 5th Ed of the game, purely because most people play Marines, and Marines have 24" range rapid fire weapons. So people think it's half the total range rather than a fixed value. If it was half then my Sternguard would have 9" Vengeance rounds.

I only fought Tau once in 4th, and the Daemonhunter Hellguns were 24" which is why I had little experience with the new hot-shot lasguns.

Also I know the rapid fire range is now 12", when I say Rapid Fire at 18" I mean the max range, although I see how that would confuse my point :rolleyes:

Bizarrely, I always assumed rapid fire was half maximum range. I don't even know why I ever assumed that. It must have been the diagrams with the marine and the bolter and just assuming that it's 12" because bolters are 24" - 2+2 does equal 5, right?

when the tau first came out, me and my friend assumed that their rapid fire range was 15, which was half of 30, because 12 is half of 24...

happily, the extra 3 inches of range didn't make a huge different in games anyway :cuss

That's probably what most people assumed. Before the Tau were released there weren't any Rapid fire weapons that didn't have a 24" range. And to give the assumption more fuel you often referred to it as "being at half range" if you were within 12".

Archived