Tactical Squad Tactica

Master Melta

No Heavy pros: 1 more bolter round when in rapid fire range, 1 more bolter round when at 24 inches(Instead of a Heavy weapon shot so this may not even be a pro), no temptation to stand and shoot a single heavy shot.

No Heavy cons: No long range shot limiting flexibility, potentially harder time dealing with armor when you need it and don't have support.

I think, as with most things in this game, you weight the pros and cons while considering the risks you are willing to take with your decision.

Thanks for the little input on my comment, think I may try it out next week in a game and get back to this thread with a update on how it went etc

No Heavy cons: No long range shot limiting flexibility, potentially harder time dealing with armor when you need it and don't have support.

It's funny you mention this. It depends on your heavy weapon selection. This is the pro of a ml over a mm. Flexibility. Unless you consider 24" range long.

It's funny you mention this. It depends on your heavy weapon selection. This is the pro of a ml over a mm. Flexibility. Unless you consider 24" range long.

It was not necessarily meant to be an all-inclusive statement. You could include a missile launcher or lascannon for real long ranged hitting ability - one more universal, the other is dedicated anti-tank (48"), a plasma cannon or heavy bolter for mid-ranged hitting power - though not particularly geared towards anti-tank, the plasma cannon can do in a pinch (36") or a multi-melta for a dedicated anti-tank ability (though not necessarily long-ranged).

I can't see the advantage of not taking one of the free heavy weapons at least.

If you stand still, you lose 1 - 2 bolter shots depending on range but gain a much more powerful shot.

If you move, you lose one bolter shot if you're within 12''.

Kinda a no brainer.

Archived