Iron Hands

KJB

I've always been an Iron Hands fan and after seeing topics like Brother Argos and Doghouse's Iron Hands forces, Bannus' Iron Hands IA article and even SCC's Raven Guard, I decided that it was back to Ferrus's finest for me and that I would actually complete at least 2 squads and an HQ.

So, I dettoled a load of bionic parts (heads/torsos/legs) from my old models and sat down to think what I wanted my new army to look like.

Reading Imperial Armour 10, it mentions in the armour article near the back that the Iron Hands use a lot of Mk IV armour, great, I love Maximus armour - so it was decided, Maximus armour and bionics.

I was at Warhammer World 2 weeks ago so stocked up on load of Forge World goodies, namely 2x Mk IV armour packs, 2x character conversion packs, 1x Iron Hands transfer sheet, 1x Phobos bolter pack, 1x special weapon pack, 1x Mk IV dreadnought, 1x dreadnought close combat weapon, 1x dreadnought heavy bolter (I love heavy bolters) oh and I picked up the Mk II assault squad for some reason... Oh, and I've just ordered Sevrin Loth as my HQ - thanks Barclaycard!

Here is my first tactical marine, he may even get a gun at some point - SCC's Raven Guard tutorial was a big influence with the black and highlights

gallery_576_6329_489292.png

gallery_576_6329_911871.png

Comments and critique welcome as always

Besides the eyes needing attention, it looks fantastic. No other quibbles, really. ;)

Ah, you've found the one part of a marine I'm awful at painting... :lol:

I've just had another look through Brother Argos' Iron Hands thread, he has a few gold/brass patches in the bionics, I may go back and add a little extra colour in there

Looks very sharp and tidy, well done :lol:

I much prefer high contrast highlights on black, it's how I do my Templars.

Look forward to you putting those forgeworld goodies onto the assembly line in the near future and posting more pics!

Cheers for the comments guys, appreciate them

Question, what colour for the bolter casing? White? (seems to be popular) or Red? (ties to the mechanicus and mars etc)

Looking good mate.

IMHO I'd say a slightly thinned down wash of badab black to tone things down and put everything together, and white bolter casings. Blammo !!

Keep 'em coming...

/lb/

Yeah, they were white in the IA article, all silver on the front of the Iron Hands tactical squad box and the solitary painted Iron Hand in the codex has a red weapon - I love GW's consistency!!

I think I'll go with white...

++edit++

Actually... Started undercoating the bolter casing codex grey and I quite like the look of that... Hmm, I might just go with a nice grey casing...

.... and that I would actually complete at least 2 squads and an HQ.

No! Darn you! Then I will be the last hold-out and have to start painting my models!

Don't do it!

All kidding aside - your IH Marine is looking pretty sharp. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Actually... Started undercoating the bolter casing codex grey and I quite like the look of that... Hmm, I might just go with a nice grey casing...

I went with a very light grey myself (Codex Grey) - highlighted with Skull White. I thought it looked real good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time - I've added a bolter onto the tactical marine and have completed the sergeant of the combat squad.

++Disclaimer++

I am awful at photography, truely I am - You'll have to take my word for it that the highlights aren't as bright and the black isn't as flat (honest...) ;)

Tactical marine.

gallery_576_6329_453116.png

Sarge - I'll probably go back to him and touch a few things up (like the highlight on his belt)

gallery_576_6329_839018.jpg

Group shot.

gallery_576_6329_1448286.jpg

Now the dilemma, do I finish the combat squad off or do I paint something else to keep me sharp and prevent boredom? I've made this guy, converted him slightly by adding a Forge World bionic left arm, removed the hand and re-added Loth's original "Harry Potter" hand - The base at the front was reclaimed from an old Blood Angel I made (who has since slept in the dettol) - or, do I go for the Dreadnought that keeps looking at me accusingly...

gallery_576_6329_677419.png

keith am very impressed so far mate! That base is awesome! I defo think that bases really do make a huge difference to the way people view the model. As for what to do, my personal opinion would be a dread - I am not hugely up on my IH info/background but I would say that the must really revere dreads more than most chapters??!! Great job on the vet sergeant btw, any chance of some more views of the two mini's so far? Keep up the great work mate!!

First, terrible photography aside (mine is worse, fear not), your IH look great.

I'd say do the librarian up first, but that's simply personal preference; I like to build my armies around central theme, said theme most commonly being based on a leader or leaders.

But it's really up to you, and I'm curious to see the dread! Is it converted, or simply stock?

Cheers for the kind words guys, really appreciate it - and it keeps me motivated!

Here's a picture of the dreadnought... will get him undercoated tomorrow

gallery_576_6329_728234.png

Very smart, clean lines and good colours. I'd possibly go for a wider and lighter highlight around the bolter casing, the grey is a little flat and too clean. It may just be the shot that isn't doing it justice, but to me it is too close to the metallic colour and seems to blend in to the highlights of the armour. (I promise to get a pic up here as soon as I actually near finishing anything at all - 20+ years in the hobby and still to paint anything that I'd want to share. :HQ:)

Sarge looks awesome, would be interested in a side on shot to get the bolt pistol, purity seal and chapter insignia in focus.

The base for the Librarian is excellent, is that weathering powders used for the rusted grate?

If the choice were mine, I'd be painting the Librarian, the Dred looks great, but that Librarian is really going to stand out from the crowd.

Archived