Pair Frag Cannon with which weapon?

appiah4

It seems almost everyone pairs their Furioso Frag Cannons with Heavy Flamers..

I mean, ok, 3 templates is nice but..

Why does nobody retain the Meltagun?

It seems everyone's been programmed by internet wisdom to think the Meltagun arm has to be replaced..

Which is odd to say the least. The codex allows for either arm to be replaced.

And if I'm not missing something, losing the Meltagun is a bigger blow than the HF.. You already have 2 small S6 templates, do you really need that S5 template? Would you rather not have an automatic death MEQticide that's also S8 AP1?

The S6 frag cannon wounds MEQ/orks on a 2+, so causes a hell of a lot of wounds. The single ap2 melta gun hit will simply be allocated away into nothingness, better to have another template to cause a few more wounds, which is ultimately more likely to kill an important model.

The S6 frag cannon wounds MEQ/orks on a 2+, so causes a hell of a lot of wounds. The single ap2 melta gun hit will simply be allocated away into nothingness, better to have another template to cause a few more wounds, which is ultimately more likely to kill an important model.

Yeah but what do you do when you need to pop armor? S6 will go only so far. It can't even glance AV13.

And besides, even if the instant kill can be alloted away after the S6 templates, it will still kill anything and everything reliably if you lose the Frag Cannon to enemy fire. Just how good is an S5 AP4 template by itself? Not very..

Yeah but what do you do when you need to pop armor? S6 will go only so far. It can't even glance AV13.

the frag cannon is rending.

I keep the meltagun arm... mostly because I bodged together a frag cannon from the Missile launcher arm so I had to do the other arm and the extra one I had was a meltagun. But I also put a magnagraple on mine as well. In the event I don't have any inviting infantry targets I can melta and grapple any nearby armor and the punch it to death if it wasn't killed by the shooting.

-Samirus

Frag cannon, heavy flamer and magna grapple.

That's what I'd say. Haven't tried it myself so you've been warned, but adding the the Magna Grapple means that you've got a S8 shot that's almost as good as a melta beyond 6" and doesn't hamper your infantry fragging capability. And if you are under 6" away where melta pulls ahead handily, you're in charge range so use that Blood Fist as the Emperor intended! :(

As has been stated, the frannon is rending, so penetrates AV12 on a 6. With 2 shots, thats a 1/3 chance to pen AV12, while not better than a meltagun in melta range (~5/9), its better than a melta at 6+" (melta is 2/3 to hit, 1/3 to pen = 2/9).

Dont forget, you still have the S10 fist as well.

And besides, even if the instant kill can be alloted away after the S6 templates, it will still kill anything and everything reliably if you lose the Frag Cannon to enemy fire. Just how good is an S5 AP4 template by itself? Not very..

Seems like youre dead set on the melta. If so, why make this thread? Just go with the melta.

Point is, just how good is a single melta by itself? Not very... Melta kills 1 marine of youre lucky, heavy flamer will probably kill one marine on average.

I'm in the template-stacking team here; a Dread with a frag cannon is anti-infantry specialized...so I'd capitalize on that with a third template. (To be clear, the frag cannon is Assault 2...which is two stacked templates.) I will have other solutions in my force for anti-armor. If I'm concerned that this anti-infantry Dread will have to confront armor, he won't be alone in his little section of table.

I have tried both versions, and I think it just boils down to what the role of the dread is and personal taste. Currently I run mine with meltagun, magna grapple and frag cannon. I play mostly against marine armies, keeping the dread close to my own army. Personally, I think the flamer is redundant when going to town on marines (remember that the wound allocation shenanigans work for the frag/flamer as well) and I much prefer the added anti-tank capability of the melta. An all-rounder for me.

Archived