Space Marine display army - "Executioners"

Khargan

Looking awesome! I really like the contrast of the purple seals to the rest of the dread. Looks great.

- Nat

Cheers Nat, yea I wasn't sure if purple would be an appreciated colour by my critics but I wanted something that was essentially so different from the scheme but at the same time complimentary to it.

Right now I am toying with should I make the Halo look glowing and lightsourcing or not! the cannons have yet to get a base coat but the left shooting arm is getting a pair of muzzle flare sculpts which will have light sourcing, also it has a stream of ejected empty shells, the immediate ones will be some what glowing hot and have a slight bit of light source :P

Khargan,

Amazing stuff here.

The more of these 'Contemptor dreds' I see, the more I want one.

Rhino doors with the chapter symbol are excellent.

A thought, based on a misread photo...

(I tend to scroll wheel through posts for the eye-candy first then go back and read - thus this mishap...)

On page 4 of this thread, there is a high angle shot of the dred showing the left shoulder and chapter markings.

In the same shot, the dred appears to be holding a bearded axe with a hexagonal haft in its right hand.

And I thought to myself, "wow, that is really well done. The weathering on the haft looks very weathered iron, the axe is 'used' looking - well done."

Moving on - I realize (in later photos) that the right arm is not on attached.

LOL! Wait. Back up.

Ahh, it's a hex wrench and an xacto blade in the shot.

However... not out of character for this dred or chapter.

Just a thought.

Khargan,

Amazing stuff here.

The more of these 'Contemptor dreds' I see, the more I want one.

Rhino doors with the chapter symbol are excellent.

A thought, based on a misread photo...

(I tend to scroll wheel through posts for the eye-candy first then go back and read - thus this mishap...)

On page 4 of this thread, there is a high angle shot of the dred showing the left shoulder and chapter markings.

In the same shot, the dred appears to be holding a bearded axe with a hexagonal haft in its right hand.

And I thought to myself, "wow, that is really well done. The weathering on the haft looks very weathered iron, the axe is 'used' looking - well done."

Moving on - I realize (in later photos) that the right arm is not on attached.

LOL! Wait. Back up.

Ahh, it's a hex wrench and an xacto blade in the shot.

However... not out of character for this dred or chapter.

Just a thought.

hahahahaha, this took me about 5 minutes of :cussness to figure out and then burst out laughing.. however I am ordering a second to be all close combat and now you have given me ideas :P

SO here's the deal

orange dust storm weather is out, I love my rust so there however i'm thinking light settlement rubble dust and basing?.. anyway :D check it out and tell me whats wrong :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/argosis101/DSCF8959.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/argosis101/DSCF8964.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/argosis101/DSCF8972.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/argosis101/DSCF8975.jpg

All the bolts will get a final ring wash of devlan mud.. but at least this guy is starting to look more like a painted figure and less like a mess! I am also aware that there are two different types of rust weathering going on, Verdegris on the bronze and actual water rust on the metal bolts on the armour however given how metals react I figured this was the best choice to make given the realism.

I was going to enter him into golden demon but I still think I have a year of practice left to make first cut.

as always,

Cheers.

personally i think the eyes should be more red (reference to imp armour again.. would also tie in more with the other red details rather than the shoulders, however that is just personal preference)

other than that, you've finally beaten me.. i cant find anything to make you hate me with..

a light coat of dust on him would look good just dont go overboard (i doubt you would, but worth saying)

and finally, enter him.. even if its just for feedback and entry an hour earlier than the peasant folk i think its worth it :P

personally i think the eyes should be more red (reference to imp armour again.. would also tie in more with the other red details rather than the shoulders, however that is just personal preference)

Thats actually why I didn't choose red from Imp armour, it would get lost in the colour scheme and wouldn't look great light sourced, I did however love the screens from "kill zone" and thought that would make a mighty fine just off red glow :lol: the Marines however will get a deeper red but still have that orange hue to it. Note however the light in its face does detract from the red the eyes and glow are actually lined with.

He will only get a light layer of dust and dust wash ( the boots around the bottom and rims will probably get a little caking but that's it really.

the one thing I am looking forward to is the muzzle flare and red hot ejected rounds causing an ever so light glow against the armour and ejector port ;) there are two shells close to the dread, others on the floor. the muzzle flare however will cause quite a bit of light sourcing ;) fun times!

great job...

Please, oh please tell me how you achieved the rusted weathering and ESPECIALLY those orangeish eyes, i love them...

rust was done in 3 stages,

1 - all bolts washed with devlan mud then brushed downwards as though leaking (this stage wont really look like much and don't add more devlan yet because you think its not heavy enough). once this is dry repeat the previous stage but try to do it within the previous area, to build up the layer within the previous, it will look like the stain has spread without being a heavy brown colour. again let it dry then finally apply devlan mud straight from brush as though painting a streak down from the bolt. this will give it a final nice tarnish.

2 - get yourself some "Old rust" MIG pigment, dab your brush in (wet) and then into your palette, then add a healthy brush of water or two as this needs to be more wash than heavy paint consistency, carefully line around each bolt (1mm width around each) and then with a different brush draw it away from the bolt carefully to appear as though spreading (it should naturally blend itself into the previous stage and paint scheme)

3 - finally use "standard rust" MIG pigment again creating a wash (refer to stage 2) repeat stage 2 but only .5 mm around the bolt? let that dry off slightly, then using the was paint a streak down from it following the devlan mud approach we used in stage 1. allow to dry then finally find a less wash consistency patch of your standard rust and carefully paint a streak down from some of the bolts )not all of them as it becomes "OTT"

Generally painting rust is a careful thing as it can appear over the top, this is where using multiple mediums and tones to build up to your final rust allows you to have it where it blends into the base layer as though turning into rust without being directly on top!, also dont forget to re paint your bolts slightly, and even cosider flicking some silver/metal medium paint back onto the rusted area as though it has truly worn it down to its metal plating.

and my musical inspiration at the time, an odd mix of bombay bicycle club and pendulum

Pendulum - Salt in the wounds

Enjoy!

Looking for the forum opinion on this - golden halo, gleaming silver. OOOoorrrr glowing ice blue (not overly, but from the spikes and underbolts) with either a gold or silver under colour? this will have a light hue over the top (lightsourced)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/argosis101/DSCF8959.jpg

Tell me what you think

Epic Contemptor dread Khargan, really cool weathering fx and good tone of gold/brass . And the TwLascannon arms conversions are top noch.

My vote goes for glowing ice with gold under color.

On a side note what colour are you gonna paint the aquila in the left leg?

Wowzers in my trousers, that dread is fantastic, the weathering adds so much character!

I think i have to agree with alejandrius, i think ice blue would look awesome.

If you were still going with the blue eyes I would say blue for the halo. With the orange eyes though, blue would be a complementary (opposite) color and stick out too much IMO. Go with the red you have for the chapter emblems on the halo and silver on the skull.

leave the iron halo metallic coloured.. i dont think 90's gw colour saturation is the way to go.. i think simplicity is key and just by making it suitably clean rather than grubby will make it stand out enough as is.

Epic Contemptor dread Khargan, really cool weathering fx and good tone of gold/brass . And the TwLascannon arms conversions are top noch.

My vote goes for glowing ice with gold under color.

On a side note what colour are you gonna paint the aquila in the left leg?

Que? those are scratch build auto cannon marksman arms ;)

oh and I need to take some pics but can only do so tomorrow (the better half has... stolen.. my camera for her art course ;)) entire left leg is actually done now which is why i ask about the halo. The aquila is done in a light gold (actually white metal washed with gryphonne sepia a few times and re worked up) but now its had a good old dusting and wash n glaze of Industrial City Dirt (MIG)

So here is what I am going to do, I am going to paint the halo in a really clean silver and slightly glowing but will not light source the rest of the model from it until you all reach a mutual verdict ;) if it looks messed up then plain silver :P

by shade do you mean add depth or tone? because its many many things.. the base coat was black obviously, followed by a coat of boltgun followed by a couple glazes of boltgun, LOTS of asurman blue and a dab of black.. to build up that dark blue.. finally a glaze of asurman blue.. now don't be fooled you CANNOT just put asurman blue on and wait, you actually cant ever do this with the washes... well I don't think you should anyway..

I generally apply them generously but then manipulate it around the figure, let it settle for about 10 seconds then move it again, never want puddle stains anywhere but at the same time you want that pigment stain to take to the figure ever so slightly.. washes cure VERY fast so a lot of fine attention and micro management is needed.

after that some messy glazes of gryphonne and then devlan mud in various places just to mottle it ever so slightly.. and in cases it isnt even really noticeable but it does detract from that entirely same everywhere look..

battle damage/scarring/scratches, tutorials on this from other members in the tut boards

add more wash glazes over damage to bond the damage to the armour then re pick out the scratch lines of damage AKA edge of light with white metal/metal medium

done!

as for the rest? careful and slow pigment powder application :P

Regards

Khr

Cheers CoD, The more I work with it the more I feel...Iffy about it.. If I had left it as is out of the box I would entirely agree, it needs a great deal of outside work on it to not look plain..

Nice work with the contemptor, i'm not a fan of the model but you've painted it really well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
so its been a rather hectic september, getting my new.. room? in a house share set up! unfortunately this is starting to draw me to the conclusion that I most likely have to sell my executioners army when it is done or as a WIP until I have a new job in bournemouth ;) however I will still keep posting up so no fear, the khar is still here!

Archived