Prototype Land Raider Achillies 'Daelus'

So late last year I bought and built a Land Raider Achillies from Forge World. It sat, fully assembled but unpainted until about 2 months ago when I decided that I didn't like the multimelta sponsons. A very brief and ultimately unsuccessful attempt was made to scratchbuild a pair of mk II pattern sponsons followed. Finally I hit upon the idea that you will see shortly. My line of thought went something like this; in the last desperate days of the Great Betrayal, during the Battle for Terra the loyalists would have used every weapon and every vehicle they could get their hands on. Even working prototypes would have been pressed into service to defend the Emperor's palace:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/Achillies6.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/Achillies1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/Achillies2.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/Achillies3.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/Achillies5.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/Achillies7.jpg

Now some of you may be asking why it's silver. Well, this resulted from and was inspiredby the short story 'The Iron Within' in Age of Darkness. In short a small contingent of Iron Warriors not only remained loyal during the Heresy, they were also probably present on Terra as well. 'Daelus' was found in the stowage bays of the ship that they captured from their traitorous brothers. It appeared that the Iron Warriors had attempted with very limited success to duplicate the Imperial Fists designs. Ultimately the vast expenditure of time and materials required to create the Achillies was deemed too costly and only a handful were ever constructed... Daelus is the only known remaining example of this experiment.

I also wanted to try out some ideas for weathering that I gleaned from Forge World's Imperial Armour Masterclass book, hence the weathering that Daelus is recieving.

I hope to bring you more on this project soon, in the meantime any thoughts, comments or criticism will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

James

Thanks Sergeant Antilochus :HQ: as soon as I figure out the cheapest way to aquire some custom pre-heresy IW decals I'll be adding some yellow in to break up the mass of silver. Once that's done I'll be revisiting Daelus hull and retouching the dirt and weathering as well as adding some dust to it as well.

Cheers

James

What about some large Ad-Mech machina opus badges for the blank panels? I happen to know someone who could hook you up with the old FW resin badges. They would look perfect on the sides. Nice to see you posting again my friend. Don't be a stranger.

@ Sergeant Antilochus: Freehanding is a great idea but I want to convey a utilitarian, prototype look upon the vehicle. Should it survive the seige of terra and be gifted to one of the loyalist legions or displayed in an armoury somewhere then I expect it would be rightly decorated for it's service. However at this point in time it isn't a lauded 'hero' but rather a vehicle pressed into service because the enemy is at the gates and we need every gun we can lay our hands on, even this half abandoned, bastardized copy of another legion's work. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for your suggestion though, thank you :D.

@ mikhail: It feels good to be back :) I truly hope it's for good this time, however I can't make any promises yet unfortunately. Back on topic, I'm thinking that that could be a cool idea, but aren't they quite big, both in size and depth? I was thinking more a long the lines of some simple yellow IFF stripes and some of our very own pre-heresy IW decals if I can find someone to print them for me. As I said above I want to convey the feeling that this vehicle isn't being used entirely willingly at this time. It will probably write it's name in the blood of it's enemies but for the time being it's an untried, 'green' machine :D.

cheers

James

Loving that LR!

I really like the paint job. I like how you left it spartan since it had been rushed into the field after production. I ALS need to get a copy of that IA Masterclass book.

hey man, long time no speak. good to see your latest endeavour and it looks fantastic! is that the new ForgeWorld Thunderfire cannon in the front weapon bay??? or some kind of punisher variant??? anyways ill keep it short as im going mountain biking again for the 4th time today lolz ~grins~ Tron - Legacy was Epic and well i like to ride my Scott Aspect 30 S like a light cycle, ~grins so much the top of my head is at risk of falling off lolz~ but anyways see you on the B&C real soon.

adios amigo

peace

• 1 month later...

So a mild update on this slow burner, I've added some identification/manufacturing markings so the hull of Daelus and I wondered if I could get some opinions of the weathering:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/DSCN3102.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Heresy%20Era%20Stuff/DSCN3104.jpg

I'm still new to this weathering thing so I'm a little unsure whether it looks 'good' or not

@kanan: it's a thunderfire cannon, it comes with the Achillies kit, I'm debating building a super-flamestorm/inferno cannon for it as well as I've not glued the cannon in place.....

thanks

James

Daelus truely looks like it's driven through everyone of the battles raging around the Emperors Palace - and survived! I can just imagine the Machine Spirit be woken by a techpriest and being given one simple order - go forth and kill everything.

The weathering looks suitablly dingy and dirty - just what you want for the 31st millenium. I assume that the yellow panels will be hazard stripes? The recessed panals near the front of the tracks would be a good place for the Legions symbol - just my 2 pence :)

By the way, I like your attempt at subliminal messaging in the pics - I am now craving a cup of tea!

@ Sir Tancrede: thanks :D before embarking upon this project I read as much as I could find on weathering miniatures and the one thing that stood out most was 'less is more' I've tried to stick to this principle by not overdoing things. I've gone for more wear and tear dirt, grime and damage than actual physical battle damage because I didn't want to hack chunks out of this kit :)

@ Lestat: cheers mate, the battleworn, too stubbon to die look was just what I was aiming for :D. I was thinking of leaving the yellow stripes as they are and applying the legion marking over them. I know that hazard stripes are an Iron Warriors staple but I want to move away from their conventions a little to make it clear that Daelus is a loyalist vehicle. If I can find someone (hint hint) who'd be willing to print me a sheet of waterslide decals (which I would of course pay for) then I'll be adding some nice crisp legion markings, if not I'll have to have a think about free handing them. Oh and the subliminal messaging's working on me too... I'll have to select Daelus patrol routes and photo backdrops with more care in future :D.

I ordered a pair of redeemer flamestorm cannon off of a well known auction based website this morning so I can try out my inferno cannon idea.... I'll get some pictures up once it's assembled

thanks again

James

@ Sir Tancrede: thanks :) before embarking upon this project I read as much as I could find on weathering miniatures and the one thing that stood out most was 'less is more' I've tried to stick to this principle by not overdoing things. I've gone for more wear and tear dirt, grime and damage than actual physical battle damage because I didn't want to hack chunks out of this kit ;)

@ Lestat: cheers mate, the battleworn, too stubbon to die look was just what I was aiming for :). I was thinking of leaving the yellow stripes as they are and applying the legion marking over them. I know that hazard stripes are an Iron Warriors staple but I want to move away from their conventions a little to make it clear that Daelus is a loyalist vehicle. If I can find someone (hint hint) who'd be willing to print me a sheet of waterslide decals (which I would of course pay for) then I'll be adding some nice crisp legion markings, if not I'll have to have a think about free handing them. Oh and the subliminal messaging's working on me too... I'll have to select Daelus patrol routes and photo backdrops with more care in future :D.

I ordered a pair of redeemer flamestorm cannon off of a well known auction based website this morning so I can try out my inferno cannon idea.... I'll get some pictures up once it's assembled

thanks again

James

If it wasn't for the fact that my printer is currently dying on me (it currently leaves a long black smudge down one side of the paper :( ), I would be more than willing to print out some decals. I'm going to wait until the end of the month and replace it as I get a bonus from work then.

Just had an idea - as Daelus has essentially rolled out of the Mechanicus weapons testing yard, how about painting on some vehicle identification numbers in binary or similar. Kind of like a vehicle chassis number or prototype number.

Is the silver finish to represent a painted finish or unpainted straight from the factory to the front line? If it is a painted finish why not add some sponge chipping to the edges to help give some definition to the large slab sides? Otherwise as work in progress it's looking good ;)

Not neccessarily GW hobby standard, but then I don't like GW hobby standard personally.

Sorry for my misunderstanding but I'm not entirely sure whether this is a compliment or not :rolleyes:

James

I would say it most certainly was a compliment, you went for (and clearly achieved) a very realistic weathing look using Forge Worlds techniques and powders - GW hobby standard is usually 2-3 layers of drybrushing.

I have the Forge World weathering set in front of me, I've had it for 6 months now but have been to scared to use it - any tips?

Edit - I have the Forge World Iron Hands decal set, they have a load of Adeptus Mechanicus symbols on there, I'll never use them so PM me if you want them and I'll send them up

@ Lestat: I wasn't specifically hinting at you :) but i'm sorry to hear about your printer... I think electronic devices sense when it's 'bonus time' and commit suicide deliberately! Back on topic, I had a wee think about your suggestion and thought that some stencilled numbers might look good as a hull serial number. A quick text to my brother and I'm now the proud owner of an un-used Baneblade Decal sheet which just happens to have serial numbers that are stencilled on it! I'll trim them out of the sheet and have a play with them before I commit to a location though. Thanks for the idea :).

@ PJ1933: Thanks. It could be either I guess but since it's an Iron Warrior's vehicle. I guess they probably wouldn't bother painting something that's silver silver if that makes any sense. I do like your idea though, although I may save it for a future project.

@ Rogan: thanks. This is actually my first try at weathered markings. It was fairly easy though; having used masking tape to mark out the edges of the stripes, I took a piece of the sponge that comes in blister/clam packs and sponged on some slightly watered down Iyanden Darksun. This was built up over several layers to give an uneven, patchy finish. Once the yellow was dry and the masking tape was removed I took a different pice of sponge and lightly sponged on Chainmail to 'chip'the paint. Then once that was done I re-applied the grime that's run out of the panels at the top. You could replicate this with any colour combination obviuosly and this is something I'll definately be doing again.

@ Brother Melice: What I really, really wanted to do was build a MKIIb Achillies because I don't really like the look of the MKIVc remote sponsons but I couldn't afford both kits. I tried scratch building some MKII sponsons but my plasticard-fu is still weak and they didn't look too great. So I settled on this 'prototype' hull and used some plasticard and greenstuff to fill in the side hatches. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll actually buy and combine both kits. I'm glad you like the stripes though :).

@ keith: I thought that might've ben the case but I wasn't sure ;). As for tips for weathering powders, I'm afraid I don't have any. I've not actually used any yet, I've only used washes and paints on Daelus. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for weathering powders and would love to get my hands on some but for now the expense is keeping me from getting any. What I'd suggest though is finding a spare rhino hatch or something similar an practicing on it :). Thanks for the offer of the decals, I think I'm gonna keep to the two moulded Mechanicus icons that are on the hull.

@ Retributis: I know, I know,it's not really IW without them is it? I might add some in appropriate places but this vehicle has gone from the forge to storage to the battlefield so it hasn't really had time to be embellished.

Lastly, the bits for the flamestorm cannon have arrived so I'm gonna have a play and see what I can come up with :D

cheers

James

Archived