Prototype Land Raider Achillies 'Daelus'

@ Lestat: I wasn't specifically hinting at you :) but i'm sorry to hear about your printer... I think electronic devices sense when it's 'bonus time' and commit suicide deliberately! Back on topic, I had a wee think about your suggestion and thought that some stencilled numbers might look good as a hull serial number. A quick text to my brother and I'm now the proud owner of an un-used Baneblade Decal sheet which just happens to have serial numbers that are stencilled on it! I'll trim them out of the sheet and have a play with them before I commit to a location though. Thanks for the idea :).

No problem! Glad I could provide some inspiration.

If you want the ID number to look more realistic, a Haynes manual or similar will tell you how its made up - make, year of manufacture and so on. For example, on my Harley the VIN number starts HD................. and then has a bunch of numbers I can't remember off the top of my head :D So your Land Raider could be LRA49-09-30 (Land Raider Achilles 49th year of the 9th century in the 31st millenium)

As for location, a VIN number is repeated in several places on a vehicle - engine block, chassis, bodywork so can go just about anywhere.

No problem! Glad I could provide some inspiration.

If you want the ID number to look more realistic, a Haynes manual or similar will tell you how its made up - make, year of manufacture and so on. For example, on my Harley the VIN number starts HD................. and then has a bunch of numbers I can't remember off the top of my head :) So your Land Raider could be LRA49-09-30 (Land Raider Achilles 49th year of the 9th century in the 31st millenium)

As for location, a VIN number is repeated in several places on a vehicle - engine block, chassis, bodywork so can go just about anywhere.

That gives me another idea on the markings, I bought an ex-team 4X mountain bike a few years back and the frame number was simply stamped into the frame as Proto No.4 - obviously short for prototype number 4. So maybe some kind of marking reflecting the LR's protoype status could be included, things like letraset dry rub transfers can be used for this succesfully. I know in 1/35th scale it's possible to buy etched brass templates for painting vehicle numbers on tanks and such like rather than use a decal as this allows for uneven surfaces and weathering of the markings too but not sure what else is available in smaller sizes. 1/48th scale is closest to GW figure size.

Archived