3D Smurf

Bava

It´s been a while since I did some 3D modelling but I pretty happy with the progress so far. And with the bad weather here, the progress this weekend is going to be even better :lol:

No textures yet, just the basic mesh. But I like it how the grey looks pretty similiar to the one on the minis.^^

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/Southampton/th_1d.jpg

(click to enlarge)

C&C more than welcome! B)

The legs and pauldrons look spot-on. The chest and head, however, look a bit off. Shrink the chest and enlarge the head a little, and I think it'll look a little less bulbous. Now, if he's going to be Death Guard, then that's not so much of a problem, but otherwise his proportions are just a little wonky.

Thanks for your comments!

The chest and head, however, look a bit off. Shrink the chest and enlarge the head a little, and I think it'll look a little less bulbous

You're right, its really a tad bulky. Modelling and wine don´t mix very well ;)

I hope the proportions are better now:

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/Southampton/Smurf1.jpg

(the aquila and the omega on the pauldron is just a test)

Those proportions are much better - pretty much bang on, I'd say. ;)

The aquila is nice but I can't shake the feeling it should be curved (like on a miniature's chest plates).

Thanks for the comments, guys, much appreciated :D

Which modelling package you using for this?

The one with the best cost/performance ratio: Blender ^_^

Okay, there are other free 3D apps like Sketch-up and Wings, but Blender is the most powerfull, imo.

Are you going to rig the mesh for movement?

Most probably, yes. Never rigged before, so it should be a nice learning experience.

That helmet looks strangely different

I know what you mean, Dan :D

I tried to model the 'standard' helmet, but the result was abysmal, so I just combined all the features of the various Mks I liked.

You might see a MK IV helmet in the future, though...its my favourite design, it just looks boss .

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/Southampton/Smurf22.jpg

Small update, the basic mesh of the body is complete and most of it is rigged. I`ll redo the ultra aquila, the hands and feet, though, as I'm absolutely not happy with it. Bleh...

Before I start working on the details and textures, I have to decide what he should look like in the end.

These are the three options I´ve been thinking about:

- an Ultramarine with a roman touch

- an Iron Snake with a heavy greek touch

- Talos (Soul Hunter) :devil:

Modelling Talos would allow me to go crazy with details like battle damage, weathering, gore and all the other fun stuff. And I really like that guy. AND he's a Night Lord.

But the other two are pretty tempting, too :) Decisions, decisions...

Why is he armed with a falchion?

Because his bolter isn´t done yet and he needs a weapon to defend himself against all the naked ladies on my HD :P

And, as Retrograde already pointed out, its a kopis/makhaira (looks way better than the UM standard issue gladius or a combat knife imo) ;)

@Bava: I think your model is proportionally perfect, great stuff.

Thanks!

Was too early to rig imo. Lower Torso and Belt still look like the box you used to work out the nice Upper Part of the Breastplate. Mesh at the Side of the feet looks like bad smooting groups or overlapping faces.

Fast and very good job overall. Nice shaped and detailed helmet. Im eager to see some updates and fixes. Nice!

And the quest for an anatomically correct SM continues...

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/Southampton/Sm223.jpg

New shiny shoes, new skull on the breastplate, new lower torso, smaller pauldrons, etc...

Now that the basic mesh is pretty much (cough...backpack...cough) complete, its time to visiby make him a member of my DIY chapter, the Sons of Enyo (UM successor with a thracian background).

Was too early to rig imo. Lower Torso and Belt still look like the box you used to work out the nice Upper Part of the Breastplate. Mesh at the Side of the feet looks like bad smooting groups or overlapping faces.

Most probably, yes :D But I as I said, I´ve never rigged a model before and hence no idea if my usual way of modelling would work.

And Blender's autoweight feature is great, it took only an hour or so to get him ready to be posed (after watching tutorials for 3-5 hours >.<)

Anyway, good criticism, keep it coming! It sounds like you know what you're talking about :)

Looks great! But I thought the armoured cables on his lower torso were not parallel and so close together, I thought they sort of spread apart, the middle cable going straight up and the cable on either side going off at a slight angle.

Otherwise, awesome.

Its looking good I think the proportions are right, I would suggest that you break the model down more into multiple small meshes it will make the whole thing a lot easier to handle, especially when you are smoothing elements. for example the boot and the toe section, if you make them separate objects it will look more realistic and be much simpler to rig later if you decide to.

When I did a my marine one of the biggest problems I had was that the miniatures not show how bits would move if they where real, the toe it always just there :P no joint or anything.

Can I ask what your planning for the final thing? Just a render or is it going into a game or an animation?

I would suggest that you break the model down more into multiple small meshes it will make the whole thing a lot easier to handle, especially when you are smoothing elements.

Oh, I already do. My last project had over 100.000 faces before subsurfacing, so working with multiple meshes was essential. Most of the smoothing errors on the marine are the result of normals facing in the wrong direction (and me being a bit lazy ;) )

When I did a my marine one of the biggest problems I had was that the miniatures not show how bits would move if they where real, the toe it always just there smile.gif no joint or anything.

Hehe, same problem here. And looking at miniatures didn´t exactly help either, so when in doubt about proportions and how things could work, I use this really nice pic as reference:

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/Southampton/th_Best-battlesuits-Space-Marine-Warhammer-40k.jpg

Btw, got a link/picture of your marine?

Can I ask what your planning for the final thing? Just a render or is it going into a game or an animation?

No idea yet. When he´s textured, posed and rendered , it'll most probably be a desktop wallpaper ;)

But it has been a great learning experience for me so far, never made a complete human figure before, never rigged, never used blenders sculpting tool, etc...fun all the way!

---------------------

Small update: new hands, new boots (again), resized pauldrons (again :P)...

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/Chapmanfan/Southampton/SM445.jpg

And thanks for all the C&C so far!

Archived