Another Carcharodons Thread

ephrael

I have been waiting a long time to start this topic. I have been in the hobby for about twenty years and all that time I only ever painted my beloved Dark Angels. The thought of taking up another force after selling them off never crossed my mind until Forge World put out the Badab War books. I was fascinated with the images and the unknown factor of the "Carcharodons" as new information appeared about them. I have gathered a good deal of FW kits for this project and have assembled the first five marines and undercoated them. I am using molds for the chapter badge custom made for me by Lamenter of true scale fame. Every marine will sport an icon from this mold and hopefully some transfers from FW when I can order them. I would also like to point out that I have been greatly inspired by all of the WIP topics on this board, especially 1000heathens and his Marines Malevolent thread. I am hoping that by creating a WIP thread myself that I will keep interested in this project. I have intentionally used FW and maxmini armor components to add to the mysterious look of the marines. Any and all comments, critiques are welcome. I hope to get some paint on them later today and have an update this evening. On to the pics.

gallery_12217_6295_557914.jpg

The commission piece made for me by http://goatboy40k.blogspot.com/ that got the whole thing started.

gallery_12217_6295_2070785.jpg

The Vet Sgt created to match the picture.

The rest of the squad:

gallery_12217_6295_539050.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_3521622.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_199934.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_1340223.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_741551.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_1765070.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_1286912.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_737962.jpg

Good stuff so far, interesting chapter symbol. (Lamenter you say?) Would very much like to see more. :)

Here is a link to his blog; http://masteroftheforge.com/

He is quite reasonable with price and time to complete the work. I had him make icons for power armor and terminator armor facing both ways as the Carcharodons put them on both shoulders. He also made a large vehicle sized icon mold, You can actually see the molds on his blog, he took pics before sending them off to me.

You are off to an awesome start brother mikhail. I definitely like the trophies on the 6th and 7th picture. Did you use brass wire for that or is it green stuff? I also have to point out that i love that you got your hands on Lamenters sculpted symbols. They look amazing. Cant wait to see some painted up. Are you going for heavily damaged like 1000heathens Marines Malevolent or for a bloody crazy look like THESE?

You are off to an awesome start brother mikhail. I definitely like the trophies on the 6th and 7th picture. Did you use brass wire for that or is it green stuff? I also have to point out that i love that you got your hands on Lamenters sculpted symbols. They look amazing. Cant wait to see some painted up. Are you going for heavily damaged like 1000heathens Marines Malevolent or for a bloody crazy look like THESE?

Thanks for the compliment Mr.Malevolent. I am thinking of going with a light battle damaged look like Machinepriest did with his sharks here; http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=230406 . I used very fine copper wire for the trophy cords and also for extra cabling on some marines. I bought a three pack of wire at Radio Shack a few years ago for winding my own RC car motors. I use one size for the trophies and coil the wire over other pieces for cabling. The stuff is very sturdy but bends quite easily. Much better than guitar strings to bend to fit too.

Thanks for the compliment Mr.Malevolent. I am thinking of going with a light battle damaged look like Machinepriest did with his sharks here; http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=230406 . I used very fine copper wire for the trophy cords and also for extra cabling on some marines. I bought a three pack of wire at Radio Shack a few years ago for winding my own RC car motors. I use one size for the trophies and coil the wire over other pieces for cabling. The stuff is very sturdy but bends quite easily. Much better than guitar strings to bend to fit too.

You are very welcome. Thank you for the info on the wire. I may have to go buy some next paycheck and give a go at making some sweet trophies like that for my Assault squads in my Knights of Blood army.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been slowly working on these assault marines. I need to paint the weapons and equipment and backpacks yet but the armor portions are pretty much done. I plan on adding some weathering powders after I base them. I'm planning on doing my bases as the decking of a star ship as I want to build a modular ship board to fight on. I was hoping to get some feedback on the colors and battle damage on the armor. I'm going for a pretty heavily damaged look for these guys but I don't want the chipping and scratches to detract from their overall apperance. I would appreciate any constructive criticism and advice. Thanks for looking everyone.

gallery_12217_6295_140368.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_2172464.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_3240103.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_3011147.jpg

gallery_12217_6295_790229.jpg

I think the weathering worked perfectly! it's soo hard to know when to stop without overdoing it but yours are fine, don't do any more.

Are you planning on doing some of the strange rune-ish patterns on the armour like the illustrations in IA:10?

I think the weathering worked perfectly! it's soo hard to know when to stop without overdoing it but yours are fine, don't do any more.

Are you planning on doing some of the strange rune-ish patterns on the armour like the illustrations in IA:10?

Thanks for the input, I thought more damage would look unrealistic and cluttered. I think that I'll add the weathering powders sparingly and not do any more scratches. I do plan on adding the tribal style patterns on these guys, possibly with a FW transfer sheet if my freehand abilities don't look good.

• 3 weeks later...

An army I wish i had decide on when i was starting on my Sons of Gorgon.

One bit of advice, make the red helm on the sarge a deeper red, the one you have right now is deff too bright. Make it closer to what goatboy did on your commission piece.

ad go Sharks!

I agree with you on the color of the red. I just have one coat of red to see how it looked with the gray. I was all hung ho on this project and stalled for some reason. I'll have to put some more paint on them tomorrow and try to get back on track. I'm glad that you did your Sons of Gorgon instead of the Sharks. Your work is so impressive that I would hate to compare my stuff to yours. The nose art on your vehicles is a particular favorite of mine.

I like the weathering, and it may look different in person, but from the pics, it appears to be a bit too heavy in places giving the appearance of a big solid clump from a distance. It makes them look more dirty than weathered. I had a similar issue with my weathering tests on my IFs, and I found if I took a very thin brush and filled in some of the edges, it broke up that "clump" and made it look more like chipping paint.

I also learned I need to do that before any kind of shading, highlighting, or weathering with chalks/powders, as the bright base color then stands out like a beacon against the darker/lighter paint.

Overall, looking good and loving the conversions! Particularly the model representation of your avatar. :D

I'd say I actually like how the weathering is turning out, although id like to see more reds and browns in the lower parts, maybe some rust???

If I can make a suggestion, take a 3 regular plastic marines (id hate for you to experiment on those gorgeous FW models) and paint them in your sharks colors, and then try out different weathering techniques, like blending the weathering onto the model, like I've done, dabbing it on, like you are doing it, and maybe even experimenting with weathering powders and oils.

After that, have some warm tea and contemplate on what you like best. I think there is no point in staggering on such beautiful models, just find the groove that works for you, and run with it.

In anyway, you're on a great start. Just jeep feeding us pics on your progress Tovarish.

Archived