Dark Angels

Crucially, you're dealing with two distinct types of enemies with Terminators: they're either 2+5++ or 2+3++ armour saves and that makes a large difference to how I would deal with them.

The standard Terminators without storm shields are hugely susceptible to AP1 and AP2 shooting and power weapons. A charge with five Death Company including two or three power weapons against a unit with no storm shield will pretty much guaranteed wipe them out. In fact, I think three power weapons are pretty much killing three Terminators, so five Death Company with five power weapons will probably wipe out a Terminator Squad and cost fewer points. By the same token, if you can back up Sanguinary Guard with a Sanguinary Priest or Sanguinary Novitiate, you're laughing.

People make the argument that a match-up is unrealistic because, say, my ten-man Death Company with three power weapons and a Chaplain costs over 150% the cost of a Terminator Squad. I say these people are missing the point. I spend my games absolutely looking for opportunities to fight battles that are weighed in my favour. Why would I ever fight a combat against an enemy I'm evenly matched against?

Games Workshop do their best to make you fight an even battle. I say your job as a general is to make sure that every fight you engage in is weighed as heavily in your favour as possible.

I recently fought a battle where in one stage I had the option of charging four different units with my four assault units. I chose to assault two of the enemy units each with two of my assaulting units and then consolidated AWAY from my opponent, giving me an opportunity to reform and come back in for a second attack on my own terms.

Don't look for one unit that can kill one of your opponent's units: look for combinations of units that you can work together to support each other and destroy whatever gets thrown at you. An example? One Honour Guard squad with four plasma guns sitting directly behind two ten-man Assault Squads, both armed with two meltaguns and a power fist. You have twenty-five Space Marines all with Furious Charge and Feel No Pain, you have plasma made safe by Feel No Pain to take on elite infantry, you have Assault Squads to take on hordes and you have melta and power fists to take on tanks. Not cheap, admittedly, but if you can make your 1,750 or 2,000 point army out of two, three or four completely distinct and wholly self-supporting units of troops, you'll find yourself doing well.

Archived