The Inheritors

Welcome. :lol:

Here I intend to document the tabletop progress of the Inheritors - my current DIY creation. After going halves with a friend on Black Reach, I've set out to create a 1500 point army. I haven't had the luxury of enjoying an entirely painted force since the beginning of fourth edition, and I've never finished a game during fifth's tenure. I hope to provide many updates while I expand my tabletop Inheritors and their background as well. I have a good idea of what my army will consist of and lots of conversions are planned. As always, the backbone of my force consists of two mechanized Tactical squads. In other words my first targets. I've nearly finished building the first one, and I hope to begin painting them as soon as I complete the last member. Here's a little snippet to describe the Inheritors (though more can be found in the link above):

The Inheritors are a Chapter that faces extinction as their bodies often reject the gene-seed of their Primarch. Originated during the glorious Fourth Founding, the Inheritors were once a proud and magnificent Chapter. As time has passed their gene-curse has revealed itself and they struggle to even muster half-strength. Though the Inheritors face a duel war within and without, they are pure of heart and relentless in the pursuit of their duty.

INHERITORS 2ND COMPANY FORCE DISPOSITION

(1000 pts.)

• Brother-Captain Rubicon
  • Sternguard Veteran Squad (attached from 1st Co.)
    - Razorback
  • Dreadnought Procyon
  • I Tactical Squad - led by Sergeant Anaxander
    - Rhino
  • IV Tactical Squad - led by Sergeant Gracchus
    - Rhino
  • Whirlwind

++Space reserved for incoming pics++

--------------------

I do find myself in a bit of a conundrum. I can't begin painting until I know what colors the Inheritors sport! I'm thinking silver for the bulk of the armor, but I'm having trouble developing their color scheme. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to the journey ahead and I hope this log can serve to be entertaining and helpful to both the readers and myself. Good day and thanks for looking. :P

• 1 month later...

Okay, so while I feel like I should have much more to represent my progress since the first post, I do not. I haven't even gotten around to fluffing them out any further. I guess I could go on about how real life contributed to my lack of an update, but that isn't exciting. Anyways, I've completed my Captain, minus an arm being blu-tacked into place.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/captain1.jpg

What're your thoughts? I really did brainstorm on how I wanted him to look prior to kitbashing this sucker. In the end I think I'm pretty happy with the result. Should I position his storm bolter arm differently? A shooting pose looks a little odd, but a more at rest pose could work. Also, what should I fill the gap in his chest with? I'm not a great sculptor and he already has a gem on his belt so I'm a little stumped. Perhaps a roman numeral "II", designating him as the 2nd Co. Captain?

I should have an updated shot of the first Tactical squad pre-undercoat before tomorrow. I've changed half the poses as I couldn't stand some of them staring back at me, sitting on my shelf. They were eating away at the more perfectionist side of me and I got tired of it. ;) One more thing. In regards to their color scheme, I've decided on a deep metal for the bulk of the armor with some red, yellow, or blue tossed into the mix. Maybe all three!?

I know it's not much, but any feedback is motivating enough to get some paint on 'em. Lemme know what you think! :D

I think every thing is starting out good looking! How tall off of the back pack is the banner/shield squad marker? With the close up it looks rather tall.

As for the captain I think the bolter should be aimed forward. He just doesn't look right to me with the weapon aimed down the way it is... and almost forced rather then natural. Maybe just a change in the arm is what is needed?

As for what to do in the center? Not a gem? Why not a skull?

Anyway, I am looking forward to how you proceed. This might also end up helping me keep up with my blog out when my stuff gets here to start it.

Conversion work is excellent DP, really nice work on the Captain. I quite like his pose, it's more 'surveying the battlefield' than 'in the middle of killing' but that's entirely appropriate for a commander model. Really like the squad shield instead of banner idea too.

As to colours, I think maybe I'd use more metal/yellow rather than blue or red, simply because if you go blue they'll be associated with the (currently very popular) Astral Claws, and the red would look like either Grey Knights or Doom Eagles (if my memory of their scheme is right anyway).

How about something like:

sm.php?b62c=@hCEct_iaj7O.hidDl@@@@___i7K9K_.@@i6bAsi6bAs@@@@@@@@@@@____@@@@@@@@@@..@@@___@@_@@@@.iakk7&grid=TRUE

I think the darker metal contrasted with a brillliant yellow would look quite striking and for the moment I cant think of any established Chapters that use that combo? (I'm sure someone will point out any I've forgotten! :tu: )

Some excellent work Darth, loads of character in those figs so far.

As for your colour problem, i'd go with yellow as the secondary armour colour, probably on the shoulder pad insets, that way you can keep red for a spot colour on purity seals, eyes etc.

I think that if you go with a silver base color your models won't stand out very much against the huge backdrop of Grey Knight armies that seem to be all over these days.

Since you're looking for paint scheme ideas, I figured I go goof off in the painter, this is what I came up with.

sm.php?b62c=@hk8Yt_i8y3o.hYbiB@@@@@@@hGxVO@.@@i8TzJi8TzJ@@@____@@@@._.@_____@@@@@hozqShozqS________i6hFq____hozqSiakk7&

The trim is silver, and if I was doing that scheme I'd make the sgt helmets silver as well, metallic sgt helmets turn out really well in my experience. That and Orange isn't a common Space Marine chapter color, so.

One question, where is the chest the running Mk3 helmeted bolter marine has from? he's one handing a bolter and sprinting, that chest is converted, but I really would like to know what the base for it was cause I love it.

And as a last thing, as a converter, I love this army so far, cause each model looks awesome.

P.S, just looked at the captain again, I'd tighten up his pose a little, he feels a little splayed with his sword and gun out to each side, try pointing the stormbolter almost straight down.

EDIT: Just came up with a neat dark purple scheme, with silver trim as well.

sm.php?b62c=@hnsaQ_hYbiB.hozqS@@@@@@@hGxVO@_@@i8TzJi8TzJ@@@@@@@@@@@_hk8Yt_hk8Yt@@@@@@@@@@..@@@@@@@@@@@@@.iakk7&

I'm done with schemes now, I'll quit spamming the thread with images, for some reason it isn't making the image a spoiler....

Some of you may have noticed that I've updated the images of Tactical squad Senectus in the first post. That's due to my indecisive mood toward the first Inheritors I created. Hopefully these boys'll still please.

++++

The Dilemma (Not that crappy movie with Vince Vaughn I had ...hopes for...): :D

I tried out a metallic scheme, and planned on adding purple and yellow but it's just not looking like how I had imagined. So I've scratched that and I might try grey in place of the metals. Now being more of a novice painter, grey might be a difficult color to tackle. I could try weathering it with some silver. I'm unsure, really. Typical. Painting time arrives and I can't decide on a scheme for the life of me! To be honest, I don't think inspiration is the problem. If anything it's that there's too many attractive Chapter colors out there! Ugh.

Anyways I'm back to the drawing board on a scheme that suits the Inheritors. I just need to find something that really captures the essence of the Inheritors, and something that can really tie these models together. Neat, cohesive, and evocative of justice, duty, honor - what they stand for. I'm almost ready to resort to a predominantly black scheme but I'm not sure it's really fitting.

++++

I think every thing is starting out good looking! How tall off of the back pack is the banner/shield squad marker? With the close up it looks rather tall.

As for the captain I think the bolter should be aimed forward. He just doesn't look right to me with the weapon aimed down the way it is... and almost forced rather then natural. Maybe just a change in the arm is what is needed?

Thanks for the comments, Slyen.

The Sergeant's heraldic shield is slightly smaller than the backpack itself. In comparison, it is shorter than a typical banner you see adorning Marines. In regards to the Captain's arm, I think you're right. I'm working on achieving a more natural look.

@ Magic Dragon: Yeah, definitely. There's actually a number of things the Iron Snakes have proven inspirational for.

@ Grotsmasha: Thanks, Grotsmasha. Working on it as we speak!

Conversion work is excellent DP, really nice work on the Captain. I quite like his pose, it's more 'surveying the battlefield' than 'in the middle of killing' but that's entirely appropriate for a commander model. Really like the squad shield instead of banner idea too.

As to colours, I think maybe I'd use more metal/yellow rather than blue or red, simply because if you go blue they'll be associated with the (currently very popular) Astral Claws, and the red would look like either Grey Knights or Doom Eagles (if my memory of their scheme is right anyway).

I think the darker metal contrasted with a brillliant yellow would look quite striking and for the moment I cant think of any established Chapters that use that combo? (I'm sure someone will point out any I've forgotten!)

Thanks for the compliments, Lysimachus, they're much appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't get the right tone of metal I had envisioned. I'm not saying I'm giving up on metal completely, but for whatever reason it's giving me a harder time than I had anticipated.

@ MNONE: Thanks man, I agree.

@ Midian: Great to see you around, Midian. Thanks for the idea!

@ Janitor101: Interesting schemes, certainly, and thanks for the reply. I'm reconsidering silver as the main armor color. Being big on kitbashing and converting, this army shouldn't be lacking really. Also, that torso is from the Death Company boxed set. Hope that helps!

@ Ferrus: Ahoy, mate! Thanks for the post, and the head is from the direct-order Blood Angels Vanguard Sergeant.

++++

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's helpful. I hope to have something more to show next time.

I like the suggestions that Janitor101 made for the color suggestions. I think orange or purple would look good and if you can copy that dark tone exactly that he put in his purple one I think that would look really good. I also think that a green mid tone might look good. The only issue I see with green though is people going, "Ooooh Dark Angels". The other issue I had was with the choice of where to put the silver. If it's a codex following chapter the first company can use either white or silver, much like how the second can use either gold or yellow.

I agree though where black does not feel necessarily proper, maybe use it as a background color? Such as on the shoulder pad inserts or maybe in a quartered scheme.

Anyway keep up the work!

Oooh, nice :P

As for the colour scheme, the orange one would look great ;)

Not too keen on the angle on the Captain, though. If you changed the angle of the sword arm (downwards), he would look more like he was surveying the battle. If you changed the angle of the gun arm (upwards), he would look like he was shooting someone with great contempt ;)

Anyhow, it's up to you :)

Looking forward to more!

Ludovic

• 5 months later...

So this won't be as explanatory as I would like, but I'm in a bit of a rush and just wanted to share (what little) I've been up to.

I tried a red and gold scheme that looked nice in the painter, but left me wanting once I painted a test miniature.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/5.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/paint1wip-1.jpg

Alas, my journey for the right color scheme continues!

++++

Now, I've made some progress on the modeling side of things, finishing the two Sergeants that will lead my Tacticals into battle.

Sergeant Gracchus

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/gracchus1wip.jpg

Sergeant Anaxander - Currently in search of something suitably cool for him to stand upon (and not another rock, dear lord), so if there's any ideas please leave a line. Was considering a statue of some kind, buried in the sand wastes bases that the Inheritors will sport.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/anaxander1.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/anaxander2.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/anaxander3.jpg

I decided to purchase a variety of FW bits to disperse throughout the force, so the Marines of first Tactical Squad have been relegated to the reserves, as they await for their more attractive brethren to be completed.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/tac1wipb.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/tac1wipa.jpg

-------------------

The next update will include more Tacticals (including some FW goodies) to round out my two ten-man squads, and I hope to show you what my new, renovated Captain looks like. The old one just wasn't cutting it, obviously. I've also begun writing a backstory for the characters that will feature within this log, and could post that up if there's interest as well.

Would love to hear your comments, especially any concerning color scheme ideas. Thanks for looking! :D

My deliverers Marine chapter is almost identical to that orange and Black posted above. It is a striking but a paint to center down the middle especially for every single marine in the army. Nice marines and its good to see an old school bolter too. :P

The poses of your Space Marines are very cool :P I especially like the two Sergeants.

As for the colour scheme, what is it that you don't like about it? Is the red not vibrant enough? Or is the gold not the right tone? Or is it just a combination of the two?

Anyhow, I hope that you'll keep up with the great work :P

Ludovic

Anaxander is glorious. Great use of parts and an awesome pose. Is the crotch area finished yet? It looks a little rough. Maybe a suitable tabard bit or a sculpted one could make that area more interesting. (Believe it or not, no pun was intended in the last three sentences)

As for what to stand him on, a piece of statue sounds great. Scibor make several basing kits (Click here and scroll down a bit) you could look into.

I also like the mix of parts and posing on the other Marines.

Wow. How did I miss this?! I remember the topic you started in the Liber Darth but had no idea you were building them too.

As for a colour scheme... One moment...

*LIBER HERALDRY DEPARTMENT ASSEMBLE!!!*

sm.php?b62c=@hXbsb_iakk7.hyvFn@@@@@@@hyOv1@.@@hk8Yt_@@@____@@@@__@@_____@@@@@..________@____._&

Basic half and half colour scheme, from your discussion on the Inheritors a bit of Genesis Chapter in the colour scheme could work well.

sm.php?b62c=@hLL9J_hXbsb.hyvFn@@@@___hyOv1@.@@hk8Ytiakk7@@@@i8khi@@@@@@@_@_@@@@@@@@@@..@@@___@@@@@@@.iakk7&

Chainmail and blood red colours, red just because it's a great colour :ermm: Gold kneepad for 2nd Company and sergeants could have a white stripe on the helmet or something.

A good metal shade could be Chainmail with a light badab black wash and whatever else good painters do! :P I could show you a pic of my metallic scheme but be warned it's awkward and almost killed me when I tried to colour in the rest of the marine...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...6562_358730.jpg the guy on the right, he's a bit dirty and the picture isn't brilliant but the silver does like nice in the proper light.

• 1 month later...

++EASTER UPDATE++ - He has risen! (Well the Captain... anyway)

First and foremost, thanks for the replies fellas.

My deliverers Marine chapter is almost identical to that orange and Black posted above. It is a striking but a paint to center down the middle especially for every single marine in the army. Nice marines and its good to see an old school bolter too. :)

Thanks! :)

The poses of your Space Marines are very cool :) I especially like the two Sergeants.

As for the colour scheme, what is it that you don't like about it? Is the red not vibrant enough? Or is the gold not the right tone? Or is it just a combination of the two?

Anyhow, I hope that you'll keep up with the great work :)

Ludovic

I'm not really sure... maybe it's just lacking the cohesive look that I want to put forth with the Inheritors. :D The more I look at these unpainted models, the more unmotivated I get when it comes to the painting aspect. I just need to pick some colors and stick to it! Your comments are always appreciated, Ludo.

Anaxander is glorious. Great use of parts and an awesome pose. Is the crotch area finished yet? It looks a little rough. Maybe a suitable tabard bit or a sculpted one could make that area more interesting. (Believe it or not, no pun was intended in the last three sentences)

As for what to stand him on, a piece of statue sounds great. Scibor make several basing kits (Click here and scroll down a bit) you could look into.

I also like the mix of parts and posing on the other Marines.

Thank you. And I agree about his groin area, it needs to be smoothed out. Oddly enough, I almost ordered those scibor scenics on eBay, but the size kept me from pulling the trigger. I'm going to try and recreate a desert wasteland sorta look, using the most possible realistic resources I have. It could be fitting. I can just imagine ancient statues depicting warriors that once watched over travelers, obscured by the dust of sandstorms and marked by the scars of war and turmoil over the ages.

Wow. How did I miss this?! I remember the topic you started in the Liber Darth but had no idea you were building them too.

Thanks, Reyner. I like those but I'm a little dismayed by halved schemes. Too much patience with the brush, something I can't quite get a grasp on. Come on man, throw me a friggin bone - I can't even get one model fully painted, let alone with a nice looking half and half pattern. :D

-------------------

I'd originally intended to have this up earlier but the day got busy real quick. Anyways, same old, same old around these parts. No paint on the boys yet, but more modeling completed.

Brother-Captain Rubicon

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/rubicon1wip.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/rubicon2wip.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/rubicon3wip.jpg

Sternguard Veteran Sergeant Leotychidas

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/tych1wip.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/tych2wip.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/the_illuminator/tych4wip.jpg

So I still have some work to do on these two. I need to work out the mechanics of the strap on Leotychidas' bolter, and Rubicon has some green stuff work cut out for himself, as well. I've got a few Marines in the pipeline to bolster the Tactical squads, (these need to be finished already... I mean really...) and then I think I just might start on the motor pool. Obviously my biggest obstacle is getting past the paint scheme phase. It's been waaay too long and exaggerated of a process. I'm getting ready to just blatantly rip off an established Chapter's heraldry and change a color here or there, or throw some gold on a knee pad and call it a day.

Also, would you guys be interested in some fluff for the main players here? I've written some small backstories detailing the leadership of the army.

Happy Easter folks, and thanks for stopping by! B)

I love what you have going on here, the mix and match nature of the armour on the models really does make them stand out as heroes in their own right and you've got some fantastic positioning going on as well. Certainly shows a lot of thought going into each model and they just scream character, very impressive stuff!

I love the Captain. I really like the MK III helm with a centurion style crest. My captain is the same but I got the idea from the art in the space marine armour article back in WD 128. The art is re-used in the most recent SM codex on page 6 for those without ancient, disintegrating WDs :)

The MK V helm on MK III chest with MK II shoulders looks brilliant. I haven't combined any like that myself as yet, but having seen yours I will :) He looks really beefy, so I'll probably use that configuration for assault type marines, possibly with a boarding shield.

As for colour scheme...I don't know what to say really. It took me ages to settle on what I thought I wanted for my own DIY, and then quite a few iterations to get the effects I wanted (and associated paint stripping of those I didn't). Then they go and change the paints :) I'll be trying out the equivalents on my Tartaros termies when they turn up tomorrow.

However with the new paints here you could see it as an opportunity to experiment as you don't have a base scheme yet. All I can advise is keep it simple and striking, and try and have a few colours that contrast without clashing. I have found it is best to keep the palette limited, going for more of an impression than full strict codex adherence. The SM painter helps but obviously a "raw" GW colour isn't quite the same as a shaded, highlighted, and possibly battle damaged and weathered one. Think about the colours of your squad markings and chapter symbol at the same time, and whether you'll use company colours regardless of location (shoulder trim, kneepad, chest eagle etc), red helms for sergeants and white for veterans (or your own equivalent), and what shade of metallic the bling will be in (such as cruxs, metal eagles, skulls, and chains etc).

In the end I sat down with a dozen or so blank print outs from SM painter and some colouring pencils and felt tips and just had a play and eventually worked out what I liked and what I didn't. It was a very holistic and organic process, a bit like working out what bits kit bash nicely together and what will need greenstuffing. By considering all the permutations at the start you should come up wit something that is always cohesive, regardless of the variations in markings and colours that come with squad type and rank.

Also consider if you ever jump across to using a spray gun or airbrush that GW metallics aren't really suitable as the metallic flakes in them are too large, and foundation paints are quite claggy and clog nozzles frequently due to the high pigment content (which conversely gives amazing coverage with just one coat so it is worth the hassle IMO). It was this that opened up the world of Vallejo air paints for me which has been a fun world to explore :)

The Inheritors are a Chapter that faces extinction as their bodies often reject the gene-seed of their Primarch. Originated during the glorious Fourth Founding, the Inheritors were once a proud and magnificent Chapter. As time has passed their gene-curse has revealed itself and they struggle to even muster half-strength. Though the Inheritors face a duel war within and without, they are pure of heart and relentless in the pursuit of their duty.

I especially like this mate, very nice bit of background for your Chapter.

Sergeant Anaxander, Brother-Captain Rubicon & Sternguard Veteran Sergeant Leotychidas are excellent mate, love their poses & the simplicity of them. Sergeant Anaxander is my favourite as he looks real menacing like & totally looks like he is the dude not to be messed with! Shall be following this with great interest matey!

Looking great ser! Color schemes are tough, it is certainly hard to come up with something fresh, but that jives with established chapters. Please DO post the backstory for these characters! These heroes deserve it!

Archived