Bray'arth Ashmantle

turelhim vampire

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has tested out the rules for the new Salamanders venerable ironclad character?

I found his rules somewhat odd.

He is a midpoint between venerable dreadnought and ironclad, and I actually found him quite useful. My only real concern with him is that he cannot take a drop pod as far as I can see.

On a related note, has anyone seen that his unit entry reads 'Infantry' instead of 'Walker' - surely that's a miss print?

If you have tested him out, what did you think of him - maybe we can get a tactica going for him?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has tested out the rules for the new Salamanders venerable ironclad character?

I found his rules somewhat odd.

He is a midpoint between venerable dreadnought and ironclad, and I actually found him quite useful. My only real concern with him is that he cannot take a drop pod as far as I can see.

On a related note, has anyone seen that his unit entry reads 'Infantry' instead of 'Walker' - surely that's a miss print?

If you have tested him out, what did you think of him - maybe we can get a tactica going for him?

where are the rules for him?

I used him once, but wasn't too sure on him. Very expensive and no way to get him forward quick enough. If your oppnanant is clever enough he won't have too much trouble avoiding him. In the end, in my game he got into contact with a rhino on turn 5 and then killed it's squad on turn 6. No where near his full points back.

If you could take a drop pod for him, he'd be so much better.

What you can do is take a drop pod for another unit like a stock dread to walk up the field, and put brayarth in it's pod. I think it's legal, at least I haven't been told otherwise, AND if your FLGS is kosher with you using brayarth, ask if you can use FW's dreadnought drop pod rules, aka costs twice a normal pod but a dread can assault out of it. Pretty good.

What you can do is take a drop pod for another unit like a stock dread to walk up the field, and put brayarth in it's pod. I think it's legal, at least I haven't been told otherwise

Units can board Dedicated Transports purchased for other units, but only after the start of the game. (EG, buy a Rhino for a Devastator squad that's going to sit in cover and not move and on your first turn embark some other unit in it.) What you cannot do is give one unit's Dedicated Transport to another unit prior to the game starting.

What you can do is take a drop pod for another unit like a stock dread to walk up the field, and put brayarth in it's pod. I think it's legal, at least I haven't been told otherwise

Units can board Dedicated Transports purchased for other units, but only after the start of the game. (EG, buy a Rhino for a Devastator squad that's going to sit in cover and not move and on your first turn embark some other unit in it.) What you cannot do is give one unit's Dedicated Transport to another unit prior to the game starting.

Fair enough, I hadn't done a deeper check into that but it seems I'm wrong. Yeah, aside from FW's dreadnought drop pod rules, I'm not sure how to get him up the field in one piece before turn 3-4 :/

• 3 months later...
i just got this model today and i'm annoyed that he can't take a drop pod but in my test game i had using the rules for him on an iron clad i killed 40 odd orks and an ork trukk so he did alright without a drop pod but against sm it would have been a different story

correct me if I am wrong but the lucius pattern drop pod says its available for all space marine and the chapter specific marine codexs. soooo could you stick him in a lucius pattern drop pod?

I think this is correct. Although I used some lucius drop pods for my BA list and only later found out they can't use them ><

The updated Lucius drop pod rules are in the IAA 2nd Edition book.

correct me if I am wrong but the lucius pattern drop pod says its available for all space marine and the chapter specific marine codexs. soooo could you stick him in a lucius pattern drop pod?

no because it doesn't say that he can take any dedicated transport but at the same time it doesn't say he can't either so i don't know

no because it doesn't say that he can take any dedicated transport but at the same time it doesn't say he can't either so i don't know

Normally when a unit can take a dedicated transport it says what transport they can take, any not listed can't be taken. If no dedicated transport is taken, they can't take said transport.

However, I'm not familiar with the Lucius Drop Pod rules so I couldn't say if Ashmantle can take one or not. The rules may be worded to give an extra option to any Dreadnought that can currently take a Pod, in which case he's ruled out. Or if it says available to all he'd be included in that. Has someone actually got a quote from the most recent Lucius Drop Pod rules?

The Lucius Drop Pod's rules state:

"A Dreadnought Drop Pod is a dedicated transport choice for any type of Space Marine Dreadnought in Space Marine, Dark Angel, Black

Templar, Space Wolf and Blood Angels Armies, please refer to the appropriate codex."

(it's a freely available PDF download from Forgeworld, so no copyright infringed upon here).

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Prod...update28AUG.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

let's cut through the useless garbage about drop pods; he cant take one, so deal with it; the OP asked how does the ashmantle perform in the games you've played.

i've used him in about 3 battles so far, and he's a beast. this guy loves walking into infantry units. you take one of his 4 attacks and declare it as his special AoE flamer so everything in base2base gets autohit. and then use the rest of his attacks as the Str10 I4 powerfists. surprisingly, this was devastating against thousand sons infantry. in one game, he personally wiped 3 squads of infantry off the table.

yes, he cant deep strike via pods. but if your smart, walking him across the board can still net you alot of killpoints

let's cut through the useless garbage about drop pods; he cant take one, so deal with it; the OP asked how does the ashmantle perform in the games you've played.

i've used him in about 3 battles so far, and he's a beast. this guy loves walking into infantry units. you take one of his 4 attacks and declare it as his special AoE flamer so everything in base2base gets autohit. and then use the rest of his attacks as the Str10 I4 powerfists. surprisingly, this was devastating against thousand sons infantry. in one game, he personally wiped 3 squads of infantry off the table.

yes, he cant deep strike via pods. but if your smart, walking him across the board can still net you alot of killpoints

The rules for the Lucius Drop Pod would allow him to take it as a transport so he would be able to deep strike and charge the turn he gets out of it.

Archived