Assault Terminators left lightning claws.

calgaryBA

I just now noticed that the terminators in the codex have their left claw black, while the right remains red. Have i missed a reason for this, sort of like how helmets are different colors depending on squads? Or was this just pure aesthetics?

Terminators have had their left arm painted black, from the elbow down, since at least 2nd edition. This includes claws, fists/chainfists, the old sergeants power sword arm, and the arm that holds the storm shield. As I recall, there is a bit of lore behind it tied to the First Company and a Space Hulk. Perhaps someone more beardy than myself can remember it fully.

Terminators have had their left arm painted black, from the elbow down, since at least 2nd edition. This includes claws, fists/chainfists, the old sergeants power sword arm, and the arm that holds the storm shield. As I recall, there is a bit of lore behind it tied to the First Company and a Space Hulk. Perhaps someone more beardy than myself can remember it fully.

It happened somewhere around second edition. Before the release of the AoD codex. Can't for the life of me remember the reason.

It happened somewhere around second edition. Before the release of the AoD codex. Can't for the life of me remember the reason.

Yeah, I couldn't find that scheme in any of my RT books, but it is certainly there in AoD. RT era PF's and such had hazard stripes. AoD, everything went black (thank goodness). I'm still remembering someone telling me it was in memoriam of the 1st Company brothers that fell on a Space Hulk (as in Space Hulk 1st ed.).

Whatever the reason is, i just painted the left claws black and right ones red, and it's really starting to grow on me.

Glad to hear it. :) The current Codex BA paint scheme has way too much red, tbh. Adding black here and there really helps give them contrast. Frankly, I've painted all my fists (even on dreads) black for years. Only one fist though, and the left one where possible.

Whatever the reason is, i just painted the left claws black and right ones red, and it's really starting to grow on me.

Glad to hear it. :) The current Codex BA paint scheme has way too much red, tbh. Adding black here and there really helps give them contrast. Frankly, I've painted all my fists (even on dreads) black for years. Only one fist though, and the left one where possible.

The newer paint scheme definitely over-does the amount of red, which is why i still do the shoulder trims in black, among other things, because I'm one of the few people who actually likes a brighter base red to work with.

I've painted both LC's black on my older terminator assault squads simply because of this. I only looked at the codex ones now because I'm doing the finishing touches on a new squad that have the FW shoulders and i just wanted to see if they did anything that i didn't think of.

BTW, the black templar FW storm shields are incredible for TH/SS termies! I'm quite happy with them. I always thought the dinky ones that come with the kit looked a little too small for a 3++ save, and was never a fan of their design anyways.

I always thought the dinky ones that come with the kit looked a little too small for a 3++ save, and was never a fan of their design anyways.

It's supposed to be both a sturdy physical shield and a power field generator. How huge does it have to be?

It's supposed to be both a sturdy physical shield and a power field generator. How huge does it have to be?

Exactly the size that the black templar storm shields are. Or about the size of the sergeant's shield from the standard kit, that one's pretty good.

Archived