Has anyone done this?

Sir Blayse

Interesting question, but on Honor Guard, can I give them melta guns and storm shields together. I was thinking of running my HG with the following mix: Blood Champion (WS 5 reason), TH, 2 Melta's w/SS, and the Novitiate. According to the wording for HG I would be swapping Boltgun/pistol for Melta and Chainsword for the SS. The idea being that my unit would be a counter charge unit, with the option to pop vehicles if needed. In my last game I had to deal with popping an Ork truck, then deal with their charge into the HG. The HG only suffered about 3 or 4 power hits in this, a few shields would of helped them survive an continue to tie up the Nobz. I have some ideas for modeling these up, does anyone do this? Thanks.

I don't need full on anti-mech guard setup either, only have 3 opponents with guard and only one is mech guard. Most opponents are bugs, orkz, and other marines. I like my HG to be more multi-purpose, since I combat squad my RAS for dedicated roles. Thanks.

In terms of whether or not you're allowed to to this, yes, you can. Absolutely. Nothing to stop you.

In terms of whether or not I've done it, no, I haven't. I use my Honour Guard as highly-mobile fire platforms and they hop around the battlefield like crazy men toting loads of plasma guns or meltaguns. If I want something to charge into an enemy unit that costs 275 points, I'd be tempted to pop a jump pack on a Sanguinary Priest and run him with a unit of Sanguinary Guard. But, I'm thoroughly well-aware that everyone will have their own approach. I'm not arguing with you - just giving you an alternative.

And, before we get there, I appreciate we're talking about two different squads with two different purposes and I also appreciate that my Sanguinary Guard not only couldn't pop open that Ork Truck, but also wouldn't provide any improvement against power weapon attacks. Dang. My brain's not working properly. Too much coffee!

Thanks. I don't have any experience with the Sang. Guard, but without a 5+ invulnerable save and fewer attacks probably not going to fit the bill. I figure that once the squad has fired at the target the melta are no longer the most important priority and should be ok to throw powerklaw attacks on to them. I tends to be my luck that the enemies escape blown up vehicles rather easily. ( I did realize something else a little while ago also. My opponent did not use the ranshackle rule when he truck became wrecked. He just dumped them out in front of the truck... It is possible this was on purpose because had he rolled on the chart the truck could of scattered and moved away from my squad. Of course it is just as possible that he simply forgot. I will remember that next time.)

I've also thought about just running the HG with TH, Melta, and 2 Storm Shields. It's not as expensive but can do two roles and still combine well together. Melta shot would be good for putting a wound on big baddies and for getting vehicles ( though curse my rolling "1's", good for red thirst and for scatter though), TH would also be able to do that and still be scary enough to ward off the warriors and vehicles alike. 245 is still expensive, but gives me some flexability. I will have VV for CC dedication and RAS with dual melta for anti-armor. Priest with the other half of RAS with PF for CC as well.

Also, as for the Sang. Guard, I've had similiar experiences with my DC and find they are just too much for a unit that goes poof under a single blast template. DoA and then get hit with one lucky plasma cannon, demo charge, or other of the type. Libby helps out some to those, but against the Nobz running 2 PK's plus a Warboss with PK that would be just more stuff killed.

I've been tempted to run Sang. Guard with infernus pistols, but that's probably a bad idea. Tempting price tag, but much shorter range. As for Dante, probably not going to happen. He is way to expensive and I have to keep my psychic hood to deal with the few random eldar and fellow marine players. Plus, against the bugs it can be a lifesaver as well.

Thanks. I don't have any experience with the Sang. Guard, but without a 5+ invulnerable save and fewer attacks probably not going to fit the bill. I figure that once the squad has fired at the target the melta are no longer the most important priority and should be ok to throw powerklaw attacks on to them. I tends to be my luck that the enemies escape blown up vehicles rather easily. ( I did realize something else a little while ago also. My opponent did not use the ranshackle rule when he truck became wrecked. He just dumped them out in front of the truck... It is possible this was on purpose because had he rolled on the chart the truck could of scattered and moved away from my squad. Of course it is just as possible that he simply forgot. I will remember that next time.)

I very much hope you're remembering that a unit which has shot at and destroyed an enemy vehicle in its shooting phase can then charge the disembarked troops that were inside. If your opponent has stopped you from doing that or if you've forgotten or not realised yourself, you'll find the whole transport issue significantly less worrying.

So, to clarify: your Unit A is shooting at your enemy's transport B, which is transporting his unit C. A destroys B in the shooting phase, forcing C to disembark. A is then allowed to charge C in the assault phase.

This is a variation on units being forced to charge the unit they pooped at during their shooting phase.

I've also thought about just running the HG with TH, Melta, and 2 Storm Shields. It's not as expensive but can do two roles and still combine well together. Melta shot would be good for putting a wound on big baddies and for getting vehicles ( though curse my rolling "1's", good for red thirst and for scatter though), TH would also be able to do that and still be scary enough to ward off the warriors and vehicles alike. 245 is still expensive, but gives me some flexability. I will have VV for CC dedication and RAS with dual melta for anti-armor. Priest with the other half of RAS with PF for CC as well.

Sounds viable, sure. There are plenty of different load-outs for the Honour Guard and very few of them are game-breakingly bad. If it works for you, excellent. Post and tell us why. If it doesn't, then while I'm sorry for you that's even more excellent for us! But - and this is crucial! - only if you post and tell us why!

Also, as for the Sang. Guard, I've had similiar experiences with my DC and find they are just too much for a unit that goes poof under a single blast template. DoA and then get hit with one lucky plasma cannon, demo charge, or other of the type. Libby helps out some to those, but against the Nobz running 2 PK's plus a Warboss with PK that would be just more stuff killed.

For what it's worth, I never use Descent of Angels and I run an all-jump infantry list. Not for Sanguinary Guard and not for Death Company in particular. These units absolutely lack in shooting power from Descent of Angels. They must start on the board and hop their way across the table. The exceptionally rare occasion I do use it is if I have Dante, a Librarian, a Sanguinary Priest and a Sanguinary Guard in the army who can combine into one mega-unit of death and the opponent has a suitably juicy target sitting relatively open or kept behind the rest of his army. I have the destruction to kill anything I aim at and I have the survivability from the 2+ armour save, 4+ Feel No Pain and 5+ cover save that you're not going to wipe out my unit before I get to hurt you that little bit more.

I've been tempted to run Sang. Guard with infernus pistols, but that's probably a bad idea. Tempting price tag, but much shorter range. As for Dante, probably not going to happen. He is way to expensive and I have to keep my psychic hood to deal with the few random eldar and fellow marine players. Plus, against the bugs it can be a lifesaver as well.

Mhm. Dante is expensive. Sanguinary Guard with infernus pistols are an absolutely superb unit for popping tanks and destroying whatever was inside. Sure, you only have a 3" effective range with the guns (or 6" against light transports), but then you're only able to charge 6" anyway, so a gun which fires further than that is pretty much a waste of time. Your Honour Guard at 245 points has a single melta to try and pierce the enemy's transport; my 250-point Sanguinary Guard has two infernus pistols, which is twice the chance of popping the armour. You then have no power weapons except your thunder hammer to try and put a dent in the contents of the transport - I have twenty power weapon attacks on the charge with five rerolls. It's doubtful that I would need the thunder hammer or power fist with the amount of hurt I can put out in my initial close-combat attack.

Do agree that Librarians are absolutely excellent HQ choices, though. And very, very cheap!

I've got an HG with x2 meltagun/SS and x2 pair of LC and they have their moments. I stick a libby with blood lance in with them and toss them in a razorback. The idea is to pop tanks and charge in, but if they end up having to run around a bunch on foot they have a bit of ranged ability and can (hopefully) take some hits while they get into melee. It doesn't always work well but it is a fun squad to play.

I very much hope you're remembering that a unit which has shot at and destroyed an enemy vehicle in its shooting phase can then charge the disembarked troops that were inside. If your opponent has stopped you from doing that or if you've forgotten or not realised yourself, you'll find the whole transport issue significantly less worrying.

So, to clarify: your Unit A is shooting at your enemy's transport B, which is transporting his unit C. A destroys B in the shooting phase, forcing C to disembark. A is then allowed to charge C in the assault phase.

Unit had arrived via DoA and was in range to shoot at the truckk.

Played another game Monday and started on the board with all units. Wiped out all but one unit of the opponents by turn 4, they then conceded.

Archived