Step aside, Marneus!

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. Updates on the sculpt have been a little slow, i've been putting a bit more time to pumping out some more troops/bikes painting-wise.

@Nurglez:

I'm glad you remember the Stormwing! They've been built but not yet painted! I always thought i'd paint them all in one go, given that there are less than 20 models in the list. With Jubal being the last; but whilst this would be the most efficient way of doing it, i've been tempted to just start painting anyway to use with my bikes list. Not that I dont like painting bikes, but a termie or land raider would be nice after working on nothing but bikes for a year hahaha...

@ Ludovic:

Gotta admit, the poles are a bit awkward at this stage but i'm confident it'll look cooler once i put banners on!

As for the head, the Brittonian helmet is exactly where i got the idea from!

There have been some comments about the head. It will fit... a bit tight, but it will all fit; despite his huge braided topknot. As far as him being too 'pointy chinned', yes he is a little, but he'll get some facial hair to cover that up. Also, being inspired by Asian aesthetics, the existing GW White Scars models tend to have thinner faces, pointier chins and narrower eyes (no, that's not racist; I'M asian. Just putting it like it is.)

I do have a matter of indecision i'd like some opinion on. Facial hair.... Long thin beard (like in the early sketches) or Fu Man Chu?

Anyway, an minor update... I've started building the next weapon (magnetising was a great decision). The storm bolter took a bit more brain power since the ancient mongols didn't exactly use guns and a terminator armoured chapter master using a bow and arrow really isn't right. So i drew inspiration from the a mans man, Jeff Bridges character in True Grit; as well as from the aliens we love to hate, Orks. My reasoning was that there needed to have some savage element in the whole thing, and Natanael put it best as "Feral yet majestic", thank you for that because that's exactly what i'm going for ;) Of course, i'm not going to just glue an ork slugga on there, it will be refined a bit more to look like an Imperial weapon.

Also, before I glue the head on, a part of the braid which would NOT be touching the armour needed to be sculpted first so i did that. It's the first time i've done a 3 dimensional braid and it took a fair bit of patience. This is actually version two! Anway, enough talk. Enjoy and C&C!

gallery_47037_6355_270711.jpg

Just amazing. Do you do commissions? Chk it out, this thread is bad ass to the nth degree. I think that the reason it isnt 4 or 5 pages long is there are probably a lot of smurf huggers here that dont like your title, hehehe.

But that greenstuff work, bro is just fantastic. Not as elaborate as FreakForge, but his name comes to mind when I see your work. Very nice bro.

My reasoning was that there needed to have some savage element in the whole thing, and Natanael put it best as "Feral yet majestic", thank you for that because that's exactly what i'm going for :)

Yay! =)

I like the gun so far. It looks a little bent in the 2nd pic, but that might just be the picture. Overall fantastic work, I have to say. GS skills are amazing.

- Nat

Well i DO like Freakforges stuff, so thanks for comparing me :tu:

Small update, but i've finally put on some banners and attached his head to the body. The banners do add that command presence and more of an oriental sense to him so i'm happy with that. I'll probably add something more to the edges but we'll see.

I've also made his base which is a combination of an old metal bosspole, a shoota, some cork, putty and pumice (this stuff is great! much quicker than pva glue). And i've developed the Storm Bolter a little bit more.

gallery_47037_6355_711498.jpg

The head took a little more effort and handling than i would've liked and one of his piercings and the gem on his headpiece fell off. I've added new onece since taking the photo as well as filling out the collar a little bit. I have two ideas for facial hair but havn't decided yet. What do you guys think? Fu Man Chu or long beard?

gallery_47037_6355_258337.jpg

The banners have got wrapping around bits now mind you, though they do look a bit wierd just stuck on the pole in the photos.

I'm very happy with the way he's coming along though... This guy is big. Still to scale, but you get the feeling he can throw a motorbike at somebody.

• 4 months later...

Wow, five months since an update!

Got caught up in life and other projects, but it's with a lot of joy and pride that i (finally!) present the completed Jubal Khan. He was pretty much done a while back but the "thunder hammer and storm shield" set of arms were yet to come.

As a teaser, i'm also maybe 80% of the way through my build for my 2nd Brotherhood Khan on a bike! Progress pictures will be posted up soon in a thread in the next week or so. The good news is, since i've listed him under my LPC Vow, he'll be done much quicker than his big brother Jubal! As i paint Jubal, i think i'll be putting him in either my general White Scars thread or my Stormwing (1st brotherhood) thread.

Check it out;

gallery_47037_6355_99437.jpg

Storm shield

gallery_47037_6355_575590.jpg

Guan Dao-style "thunder hammer"

gallery_47037_6355_413544.jpg

A close of up his face. Went with the Fu Man Chu; thanks for the opinions!

And magnetized with different weapon combos!

gallery_47037_6355_173370.jpg

gallery_47037_6355_401530.jpg

The new arms, to count as Thunderhammer + Stormshield

gallery_47037_6355_407054.jpg

'Storm Bolter + Power Sword'

gallery_47037_6355_298862.jpg

And the combo i'll probably use more often than not, count-as Twin Lightning Claws!

Thanks again so much everyone for your patience and supportive comments. It's been my most intensive scratch build to date and I hope you've enjoyed seeing me get through this sculpt!

Truly outstanding work! Your GS sculpting skills are amazing. I was a little unsure of his face at first but it looks great now. I think the full Fu-Manchu was definitely the best choice. And the weapons!! So characterful.

Will be watching!

Archived