What load out should I build

Evil eyeball

Hi All, Just started a DA force and was given some "Devastator's" (Basically all heavy weapons men.

I've put together 2 plasma gun guys (well ones half made)

But I want to know what else i should biuild. I have 2 Heavy Bolters, a Multi Melta and 2 Las cannons, I don't know if this will form a devistator squad or not (Rules wise no it can't) Or just be some heavy weapons troopers for my tac squads etc etc.

As i have fewer legs than weapons I can build IIRC 6 marines (as i gave 4 marines with Missiles from what i was given to my GF for her long fangs.

What reccommend you for DA HW's

I've used two plasma cannons and two heavy bolters in a ten man squad before with C:SM, it worked quite well, slaughtered infantry and heavy infantry alike, and wasn't too expensive.

If you're using only 6 Marines though then I'd stick to two heavy weapons, three at most. Reason being you want a few bodies to take wounds to prevent you from losing your weapons too early. So 2 plasma cannons in a 6 man squad would work well, maybe add a third if you can.

Likewise three missile launchers, two lascannons, three heavy bolters etc would work well. I wouldn't take MMs though, they lack the range a Dev squad wants.

If going for 10 man squads then consider either 2 PC/ 2 HB, 1 LC/ 3 ML, 4 ML or 4 HB. I've used all of them and they work well. The first can combat squad to PCs and HBs and can counter all infantry. The second is anti-tank with an added punch and can also deal with infantry, being able to combat squad the LC to one squad and the MLs to another is handy. The third is similar to the second but more flexible and less punchy against tanks, while the fourth murders infantry, hurts MEQ, but sucks against vehicles. Just play around and see what you like.

Plasma weaponry is great choice for DA both fluff-wise and for gameplay. Gameplay-wise using a small squad with two plasma cannons gives you a good chance of hitting units with some STR 7 AP2 death while also having enough extra wounds to soak up a few hits without losing the squad's main source of firepower. This squad can be especially good if you play frequently against MEQ armies which may include TEQ, all for 140 points.

If you plan on eventually building a full 10-man squad with the models you have I'd agree with DarkGuard and say 2 PC and 2 HB as they are both tuned to bringing down infantry and have the same range, but can also threaten AV10-11 in an emergency.

should I assemble any of the marines with Las Cannons? or will they not be usefull on any infantry models in my army?

or moreover If i have las cannons, where are they best put, Tac, Dev, Vet, etc.

Also I'm not using C:SM folks here This is a DA army using C:DA+Faq and nothing you can say or do to tell me about how much better off i could have it under C:SM would change my mind.

No one's told you to take C:SM. I was simply commenting that my experience with Devs is in C:SM, which is significant because at least one of my builds makes use of the signum (1xLC/3xMLs), which I'm pretty sure you don't get in C:DA. However, as you can combat squad a lot of the same combos in C:SM will work just as well with C:DA.

With lascannons, I think they're generally too expensive in C:DA IIRC. They're about 5pts more than C:SM ones on Tactical squads, and are the same price on Devs as C:SM, so I suppose one or two wouldn't be too bad. However, MLs do roughly the same thing, the attraction for a LC on a Dev squad for me is the signum. And don't talk about LCs on Vet squads, you're scaring me! :lol:

I plan to build more devs later, its just that for now I only have six guys, I'm just curious if theres really any good place for infantry Las..... and No I didn't assume you were telling me to use C:SM.... Question though what does a signum do again? C:DA don't have them on their devs

Edit: Looked at Signum, Looked at Las Costs. Da Pay 10 more for it in a Tac 20 vs 10 and same in a dev, only dev item da pay more for is Missiles we pay 5 more

Specials cost the same in CDA for tac squads but don't require 10 men

and All the heavies cost 10 more points (10 15 and 20 as apposed to free 5 and 10) and yes still do require 10 men.

FYI the las costs 5 more points for CDA vets than it does for sternguard not that you I or anyone would put one in a vet squad.

I have 3 devastator squads for my Star Phantoms, and usually run two to remain fluffy.

All 10-man:

1) 4x Heavy Bolters

2) 4x Plasma Cannons

3) 2x Lascannons 2x Multimeltas

I tend to include the 4x Heavy Bolters as a default. They have been fantastic plenty of times, and are one of my original squads for the force--so my heart is with them.

The others I find to both be useful. Depending on the other components of my army, or what opponent I may be playing, I get choosy between those two.

I don't mind the multi-meltas in the devastator squads, as their AP 1 tends to make up for the shorter range (and the turns spend outside of +2d6).

Cheers.

Archived