Assault Terminator Tactics?

UltraSpartan

So I just bought my first squad of Assault Terminatos, but I'm not sure what the best tactics for them are. The majority of oppenents I fight are orks, nids (not nidzilla), and imperial guard (heavy mech). What is your favorite way of deploying/ using your terminators?

Welcome to the B&C UltraSpartan :lol:

I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

Don't be too put off by Nelly Naysayers telling you how to run a unit, and that it is boring or ineffective.

Hammernators are fun and effective.

+++

IMO TH/SS terminators are the orks in the C:SM codex.. they think tactics are little mints

Real life will tell you that putting all your eggs in one basket is not competitive or tactically sound, and that running Hammernators in a Raider is very boring. If you must use Assault Terminators I beg you to be creative with them and come up with new ideas on how to use them.

Real life will tell you that putting all your eggs in one basket is not competitive or tactically sound, and that running Hammernators in a Raider is very boring. If you must use Assault Terminators I beg you to be creative with them and come up with new ideas on how to use them.

I'm with DG here. Personally I'd field ten, combat squad and DS them, then use each unit to bully-shepherd enemy models out of cover and off of their objectives. They soak a stupid amount of fire.

How many posts has this guy made, and you are getting down on him for using a solid unit? Naughty!

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad29/Marshall_Wilhelm/Avatar%20stuff/1299503036109-1.jpg

To be honest I never look at post counts anymore, so I completely skipped the fact that UltraSpartan was new, sorry mate!

I hope I didn't come across badly in my post, but to tell the truth in the last two or three games I've played I've come across Hammernators in a LRR. You can guarantee that at least one person will bring it down at any given day. You see it all the times on these forums and others, and it seems to be the Holy Grail of C:SM.

It's a solid, valid and viable tactic, but also an easy and effective unit to use, which is why it's so popular. However, it is a lot of eggs in one basket, which doesn't suit some people. I myself prefer playing with multiple units spreading my power out, so that killing one thing doesn't impact greatly on my killing power. For example, my main attacking force is a dual flamer Tactical squad, a Sternguard squad with combi-meltas and Libby, and an Honour Guard unit with Chapter Master. The way it's built means that while I can deal with anything with them together, if one dies there's something else nasty to hit back. IMO learning to play in that sort of style is rewarding, and it's a style I wouldn't have learnt had I gone Hammernators.

But that's just me. If you want to use Hammernators go right ahead, they're a good unit. But they are overused which is why you might get some flack for using them.

Sorry again, and I hope your stay at the B+C is enjoyable :woot:.

Pretty sure I've been supportive of Hammernators in this thread, but given my track record I can see myself being misconstrued. :woot:

On the one hand, their viability cannot be denied. They are the most durable Space Marine infantry unit and easily one of the most durable infantry units in all of 40k; also there is virtually nothing in the game that they cannot kill on the charge. They are terrifying.

On the other hand, I feel they are "over played"; Hammernators are the Britney Spears songs of 40k. Because they are so good, people have gotten both used to them and tired of them, so they are no longer invincible as people have learned how to deal with them to a degree.

That's not to say that they are really any less effective. They are durable and able to soak a lot of fire; that is half of their power. It takes a lot of shooting to put them down, and your opponent has to take them down lest they rock his universe. While he focuses on the Hammernators, you can move your other units into better positions to control the table.

DON'T DON'T DON'T use a dremel.

Eh? My Dremel has an adjustable rotation speed. What have I successfully dremelled and magnetized recently...?

• A terminator heavy weapon arm and psycannon (both plastic, new GK kit)
  • Metal terminator captain body; plastic terminator arm.
  • Several plastic assault marine bodies and their jump packs; a few standard back packs as well.

Here is my dremel, right here. I picked up a drill bit set as well as grommits to fit them...so I can drill holes for either my 1/8" wide magnets as well as paper clips. A pin vice works fine for pinning plastic (just takes patience), but a dremel will quickly put a good hole into even pewter.

Don't be afraid to Dremel plastic, but definitely don't rush it. Setting 1 (the bottom) is just fine. It takes very little pressure and you'll want to do it for only a few seconds at a time, clearing the drill bit and checking the depth each time. Typically I'll drill the hole and once the center point is deep enough for the magnet I'll use the grinding/carving bits to chew out enough for the magnet to fit, not drilling any deeper. (A drill bit won't give you a flat surface at the bottom of the hole, after all.)

It's not scary, I promise. I do it constantly. Just be patient and don't rush it. I love my Dremel. I'd be lost without it insofar as magnets are concerned.

Thade thank you for posting your Dremel and giving me the idea. I bought one last week and spent this weekend magnetizing stuff. It works amazingly well. I magnetized 5 powerarmored minis and one chaos lord with LCs all without drilling through the arm or causing too much damage. I love this Dremel.

Thade thank you for posting your Dremel and giving me the idea. I bought one last week and spent this weekend magnetizing stuff. It works amazingly well. I magnetized 5 powerarmored minis and one chaos lord with LCs all without drilling through the arm or causing too much damage. I love this Dremel.

Happy to help. :D I've been drilling holes in Paladin arms for the past two days now; the things cost like $12 a pop and I want to get my money's worth. Maybe I want all halberds sometime...or all hammers. Or to change what the Psycannon guys are wielding for melee. I like having that option!

I've actually started using the 1/16" diameter by 1/8" thick (or "tall" really) cylinder magnets from K & J Magnetics for magnetizing my terminator weapons. I've actually found that, if I don't drill too deep, I can cram that little cylinder magnet in the slot in such a way that the other cylinders (which aren't as strong as the discs, but are strong enough to hold the weapons up if not in too deep) that they stick and don't require glue. This is nice, as glue also occupies space and can make it hard to gauge how deep you need to drill to get that magnet sufficiently in there.

Also, may I recommend picking up a pin vice (the GW one is the one I use): I've found that pre-drilling a small hole with it helps aim and guide the Dremel. ;)

I drill in short, slow bursts, cleaning the area and checking depth very, very frequently. Easier to take stuff out than put stuff back. That said, if you do punch clean through, all is not lost. Green stuff and some patience can patch that hole.

Pretty sure I've been supportive of Hammernators in this thread, but given my track record I can see myself being misconstrued. :)

On the one hand, their viability cannot be denied. They are the most durable Space Marine infantry unit and easily one of the most durable infantry units in all of 40k; also there is virtually nothing in the game that they cannot kill on the charge. They are terrifying.

On the other hand, I feel they are "over played"; Hammernators are the Britney Spears songs of 40k. Because they are so good, people have gotten both used to them and tired of them, so they are no longer invincible as people have learned how to deal with them to a degree.

That's not to say that they are really any less effective. They are durable and able to soak a lot of fire; that is half of their power. It takes a lot of shooting to put them down, and your opponent has to take them down lest they rock his universe. While he focuses on the Hammernators, you can move your other units into better positions to control the table.

agreed although id never use them becuase everyone else already does.. i find that in trying to be more competative people lose all originality and armies start to look all too similar.. id rather take an army that i like and have personalised and work out how to make it more competative.

also this whole interwebz meta/net list thing really gets up my nose

however that being said, i never realised ultraspartan was a new member either, so perhaps i should save my "elitist" views until hes more familiar with the place

I have 2 different landraiders and 10 assault terminators in my collection - 5 TH/SS and 5 clawed ones. In larger games (like Ard Boyz) I will take everything - and mix up the terminators to creat 2/3 and 3/2 squads. Remember I'm also rolling with a librarian and Kantor nearby, so these bad boyz get extra attacks on the charge, and the opponent is also likely impacted by null zone.

In a game last night its went rock-paper till the opponent ran out of rocks -

He charged my landraider with eldar jetbikes (and whiffed)

I charged his bikers with assault terminators, killing the bikers

He brought forth his harlies, and with support killed the terminators

I brought forth a sternguard squad, which with support wiped out the harlies

He brought forth a eldar melta squad and tank which killed the sternguard

I brough forth other support which killed his squad and wrecked the skimmer tank...

• 2 weeks later...

i feel that i agree with everyone who says that they are overused but to be perfectly honest i feel that they are almost a necessity. c:sm has alot going for it but imo compared with the other books they are the least flavourful.

ive been playing c:sm for 6 years now and have over 3000 points worth of models and out of that one of the most useful and reliable units is my hammernators and their redeemer.

i usually (if i can afford him) roll lysander in the squad, because i feel he is the absolute best character in the book, or a termie libby casting nullzone. this is my choise unit if i have to battle abaddon. lysanders eternal warrior and the libby forcing him to re roll invuls.

i usually have my sergeant with LC and the rest TT/SS config. the only real problem with a unit this small is horde units, orks and nids to a lesser degree but lesser deamons are the real threat. they are fearless and will keep chipping away at the unit till there is nothing left.

Archived