"this is gonna leave a mark..."

So every once in a while you come across a project that you've begun working on before putting aside due to distraction by other projects, lack of inspiration or one of the many other reasons that miniatures get put to one side. Eventually we usually come back to them, or in my case sometimes I come back to them....

I've had the miniature for this project blu-tacked together for quite a while now in various configurations, at one point it was even posted up in this forum, however I have now finally gotten around to doing something with it and starting to paint it :lol:.

So without further rambling may I present one of Vulkan's finest about to inflict some Tactical Dreanought Armoured pain on some unfortunate xenos/traitor scum:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Salamander-1.jpg

It's not entirely obvious from the photo but he's actually leaning into the punch rather than just waving his gauntlet in a mildly hazardous manner. He's still very WIP but I hope to make more progress over the next couple of weeks or so. As always, any comments or criticism are welcomed,

thanks

James

++ Edit: Larger photo uploaded ++

rather than just waving his gauntlet in a mildly hazardous manner.

I actually like that idea, an absent minded back hand into an Orks face...

Anyway, model looks great, what colours you using for the green?

The bigger picture looks much nicer. I really like your model! I think it would look cool and impressive on the table.

Do you have him pegged above the base because he is flying or floating? Is that still a WIP and you plan to attach him to a different base later?

thanks for the comments guys;

@ culix: :o he's actually pinned to a cork just now for painting (I have sausage fingers so I find it easier to hold and paint mini when it's like this) he'll be based upon completion.

@ Mr.Malevolent: thank's. I've never actually painted a Salamnder before but I like the way that Snot and Scorpion green work together so that's what I've gone with, I think it's fairly close to the colour scheme that Sallies have been shown wearing in the current C:SM.

@ Olisredan: thankyou ;) Sadly on this occasion, I'm only painting up one terminator in Salamanders colours though.

@ keith: the green has been done as follows; Basecoat of Knarloc Green, washed with Badab Black then painted with Snot Green and highlighted with Scorpion Green.

@ Bigger-than-Jesus: thanks mate, I'll have some more colours on him soon but I think the neon look is more down to my lighting conditions than the actual mini :)

cheers

James

I love how you show up from time to time to show us all up with your gnarly painting skills, then fade back into the shadows, snickering as we all stare dumbfounded at your beautiful mini's :o . Joking aside, he's looking pretty good so far, looking forward to seeing the completed product!

@ 1000heathens: Thanks mate, although every time I come on here I'm awed by everyone elses work, the sheer creativity that is exhibited on here daily amazing :)

A little progress has been made this week:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3054-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3055-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3056-1.jpg

Normally what I'd do when painting a mini is work on one are at a time, say the armour until it was complete. This time I've decided to try something a little different. As you can see from the photos I'm kind of working from right to left on the mini, filling in details as I go. This is actually allowing me to see how well the various colours are working together. I've also started noting down my layers so I can replicate them without over taxing myself :tu:

please feel free to leave c&c,

thanks

James

some people may find the green a bit neon but honestly I love it, would love to see this scheme with battle scarring and weathering!

Normally what I'd do when painting a mini is work on one are at a time, say the armour until it was complete. This time I've decided to try something a little different. As you can see from the photos I'm kind of working from right to left on the mini, filling in details as I go. This is actually allowing me to see how well the various colours are working together. I've also started noting down my layers so I can replicate them without over taxing myself

I usually do the same but oddly ive been working from all angles on the contemptor.. right leg then groin then hip then left shoulder and now abdomen.. very odd painting path..

thanks Khargan ;) if I was fully comfortable with weathering PA then I'd give it a go, for this mini I think I'll just stick to the clawmarks he already has.

Quick Update with mildly better photos:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3060.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3059-1.jpg

His eyes need a wee bit more work and the 'hose' below his snout needs finishing up but overall I'm quite happy with how he's progressing. Looking at these photos, I need to finish up the highlights on the back of his right leg too.

I've toned down the crux terminatus on his pauldron because it seemed to be over-powering the highlights on the armour itself. Now a question, do you think that the left greave would look best painted black with the winged skull in 'stone' to match the crux terminatus, or done green with the the winged skull done in gold?

thanks

James

Hi everyone, I haven't been on in a while as I've travelled out of the highlands to visit my Mum because she's had a heart attack and has been hospitalised for the last couple of weeks. I have managed to find some time between visits to get some painting done so when I get home some more photos will be posted up. I'm resolved to complete this project so with a little luck completed photos will grace the Hall of Honour soon as well.

thanks

James

Real sorry to hear about your mum and hope she makes a quick and healthy recovery.

The model is great, the green is really nice, any chance of the recipe?

Keep it up a beat as your situation allows you to.

Rob

Sorry about your mom, hope she's okay.

And about the model, I think you should add some blacklining between the fingers of the powerfist.

The neonish green looks really nice.

edit: Saw your question, and gold is the way to go.

Best wishes and prayers for your mother James.

I agree that some shading is needed between the fingers on the power fist. I am tempted to tell you to paint the leg in yellow for the armor and stone for the honor marking. Some fluff has Salamanders with yellow armor pieces as honor markings. Just something to think about. On an unrelated note , I've hit a bit of a snag painting something and would like your advice on getting it done. Hit me up with a pm when you have the time if you are interested in helping me out. Best wishes as always.

Thankyou to everyone for your thoughts. I'm back home now, my Mum's out of hospital, without going too much off topic she's on the mend but things are still a bit up in the air.

Without wishing to trivialise the above, here as promised are some updated photos of 'mr green'.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3063.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3062.jpg

@ Dorn's Fist: the green recipe is as follows:

Knarloc Green, Badab Black wash, Snot Green, Scorpion Green.

@ Verpine and Master Toddius: Ok so I didn't see your comments until after I'd painted the greave as it appears in the pictures. So what do you reckon? Stick with it as is, repaint it in green and gold or perhaps look at Mikhail's suggestion of tossing some yellow into the mix?

@ Mikhail: thanks mate, PM is on it's way :(

Once again thanks everyone :D

James

Glad to hear your mum is on the mend.

I've been following the progress on this mini with much interest. Your Salamander recipe is similar to mine, so the end result looks to be about the same. I like that you have painted part of the leg armour black (It breaks the green up a bit), so I think I might borrow that idea.

Are you going to paint any flames on him?

@ Dorn's Fist: the green recipe is as follows:

Knarloc Green, Badab Black wash, Snot Green, Scorpion Green.

Sorry for my ignorance, but was this recipe confuses me slightly. I'm assuming it's a solid base of knarloc green and a black wash but do you drybrush the snot green on and highlight with scorpion green? or do you do just another solid base of snot green? That green looks amazing and seeing as how my Salamanders are back on the rise I was just really curious on exactly how you did that.

**Edit for sucking at grammar.

Archived