Thousand Sons WIP

culix

Is anyone allowed to start a WIP thread for their army? Am I blindly missing a sticky thread?

I thought it would encourage me to paint if I published some images of my progress, so here goes. I'm building my first ever 40k army - 500 points worth of Thousand Sons, which gives me 2 squads of 5 and 1 Chaos Lord HQ. So far I've managed to prep and assemble 9/10 of the squads (one tson shoulder doesn't fit, so I think I'll have to build part of an arm with greenstuff).

The squads:

gallery_61979_6345_26236.jpg

gallery_61979_6345_275194.jpg

It is encouraging to see them assembled!

Originally I thought they would look better if all Thousand Sons in the same squad had their heads posed in the same way, but I forgot to do so when gluing. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to take their heads off and reposition or if I should just soldier on.

Hopefully I'll have more pics soon!

Update: I finished gluing the models and got them all basecoated!

Question: How many of you do your base coats by hand vs spray can vs airbrush? (vs dipping? are there other methods?). I painted mine by hand but had a hard time getting the water/paint ratio right. Several of the faces got clumpy :D I'm thinking of buying a pipette or something so I can better track the amount of water I use with the paint.

Here are some pics:

gallery_61979_6345_95575.jpg

The left basecoat worked pretty well. The right basecoat, not so much :-/

gallery_61979_6345_160124.jpg

Basecoated sorcerers still look pretty badass

You will grow to hate painting the heads, but you will love the results

Ha ha, thanks. Have you painted a lot of tsons heads? Got any pics or advice?

Update: I finished gluing the models and got them all basecoated!

Question: How many of you do your base coats by hand vs spray can vs airbrush? (vs dipping? are there other methods?). I painted mine by hand but had a hard time getting the water/paint ratio right. Several of the faces got clumpy <_< I'm thinking of buying a pipette or something so I can better track the amount of water I use with the paint.

I usually just spray either black or white, although the old white was really chalky and didn't stay on well compared to the black. I hope they fixed it, because I don't want my Word Bearers having that problem. I haven't hand primed in years, nor do I want to ever again. The hand primers I used to use were incredibly runny and just wouldn't provide any coverage.

Basecoated sorcerers still look pretty badass
Basecoating tends to make details pop, especially ones that you might have missed. It also tends to make any modelling mistakes really pop.

Lets see, Have I Painted lots, 9x4 is 36 x 2 sides 72 sides of a head ov er the course of 3 9 man squads, and a squad of 9 terminators.

My tip is Tiny brushes or other small objects. Apply one colour first then apply the opposite colour in between

Yikes, that is a lot of heads! Yes, I am starting out with only a 500 point army, which means 2 squads of 5 tsons. Hopefully that will make it easier to finish :)

I also have some ideas on different paint schemes so that I don't have to paint the alternating bands of color. We'll see how they turn out

Thanks for the tips!

No Problem Dude

In my army i have 3 squads of 9, 1 squad of 9 termies, A prince, a Foot Sorcerer (Ahriman Counts as), Ahriman (Model), A Disc Lord, 5 Chosen with "Spells" (Counts as Plasma guns Used DA robed dudes for them) A Dreadnaught, 2 oblits and a Defiler.

Update: I painted all of the Power Armor with Regal Blue. So much blue! I can't imagine painting larger squads or armies like orcs :D Maybe next time I will to try basecoat in Regal Blue instead, or ask my friend if I can use his airgun.

At any rate, I think the results look good; the blue makes details visible.

gallery_61979_6345_421783.jpg

Partway through I got so tired of painting blue I took a break and used some Boltgun metal. I basecoated a free test Marine in Boltgun to use as my HQ until I get my Chaos Lord model built.

gallery_61979_6345_147884.jpg

Now I can move on to the gold detailing:

gallery_61979_6345_13599.jpg

Did you go straight to gold from that blue? It looks alright, but I can see through some of it. I have had a lot of luck getting very vibrant golds and bronzes by putting one coat of Iyanden Darksun under it. I look forward to seeing more of these cowardly psykers! (Just kidding, sorta. :( )

Hey guys, thanks for the tips and honest feedback. That pic is just the first coat of blue, as I am trying my best to emulate iamfanboy's article "Painting for Quantity and Quality" . I was planning to paint the gold and then come back and do more blue afterwards. But since I'm supposed to be painting inside to out and large to small, maybe you are right: I should finish painting the blue first and do the gold afterwards :D

The plan is to do three layers of blue: Regal Blue (now done), 50/50 Regal Blue and Enchanted Blue, and then one layer of Enchanted Blue by itself. I think Enchanted Blue looks a lot better matched with gold than Regal Blue anyway. So it seems like you are right and it's time to bite the bullet and do those other two coats now :P

Rats, I was so excited to get the gold on :)

How many layers/coats do you usually do on a given model or color? My friend told me to water the paint down a lot for second layers so it's the consistency of milk - is that what you do? I'll have to have another read through the Librarium...

I have had a lot of luck getting very vibrant golds and bronzes by putting one coat of Iyanden Darksun under it.

I will try to pick up a bottle on my next trip to GW and see how it goes. Thanks!

Okay, well, I still really appreciate your advice and feedback, but I was *so* tired of painting blue, I gave in and painted details in other colors rather than adding layers :HQ: My first 40k game is coming up this week and I wanted to make the squads distinguishable.

Here is what they look like now:

gallery_61979_6345_147632.jpg

gallery_61979_6345_260260.jpg

Next I will add more layers of blue, then finish the gold highlights on their armor.

Archived