Combat Patrol

Evil eyeball

Arguably i have to talk to my group first and formost but i wanted the concensus of the DA players at large.

Combat Patroll as my group plays it does not forbid unique characters (Some groups do) Yet Sammael costs just over half your points total.

My question is It seems quite fluffy for a Ravenwing Assault Squadron to be out doing patrolls.

Would you thus have any problem with someone allowing one to count as Troops for combat patroll without the presence of Sammael as patroll needs a troops choice.

I could see 6 bikes an attack bike and a speeder being quite effective at 400 points but combat patroll requires 1 compulsory troops selection.

Ravenwing are Sometimes troops (With Sammy under normal circumstances)

The rule set makes an example of this using IG Armoured fist squads which require Infantry platoons normally but should be fluffy to take so thus don't need IP's in CP

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't have a problem with using the Ravenwing as troops for combat patrol. It's a game format that works well for trialling new units, so they should certainly be used in that format.

Why not fight douche bags with douche bags?

I made the same argument to the TO for a local combat patrol tournament about using a RW attack squadron.

I also mention the exception part of the rules where it talks about the Kroot squad and just not including the Shaper because it is only that model that breaks the rules.

Finally I gave the fluff reason that it didn't make sense for the leader of the second company to go out on every patrol.

That more than likely, Sammie would be back at a central base camp monitoring and coordinating the patrols, and reporting back to the DW command back on the ship as to the progress of their hunt.

I was told they would not allow it.

And with a scheduling conflict I was not able to go to the tournament with a different list either.

So someone else showed up with this list.

3 HB/AC speeders, 5 scouts w/ HB and a TLHB razorback... and I think he still had some points left over.

He table everyone with that list.

Mostly it ended up being Academy kids in that tournament, so it was kinda like clubbing baby seals.

No one really had any fun that day... even that guy said he knew it was a douche bag list, but he just wanted to win the money.

The TO apologized to me personally the next week, saying that he barred the wrong list.

But really what 400 pt army can stand up to 15 HB shots every turn... and the 12 AC shots are just adding insult to injury.

So if they don't allow you to take a RW attack squadron... just make them regret that decision, and take that C:SM list instead.

When they complain about your new list... just tell them "hey I was trying to be nice, but no you wouldn't let me take RW".

Im 99% Sure my friends would allow it I just have to nail the job interview i have on thursday so i can get hired, have work again and afford to buy the Ravenwing battle force that the local store has in stock.

Its not as bad as the C:SM list you mention in any way, but Yeah I've seen some very bad bad combat patrolls lists.

My friend who played Daemon Hunters used to run a mean list for Patroll with a couple squads of INQ storm troopers in Chimeras with an Imperaial Armour rule we let him try for having an auto cannon instead of a heavy bolter. Combine that with an Eversor assasin and yeah, Not so friendly.

Archived