Carcharodon Astra Paint Test

Hi Everyone, I wonder if I might ask you for your opinions on a paint test I've done. I've finally given into temptation and ordered a Contemptor pattern dreadnought from Forge World. At risk of being a bandwagoner I'm considering painting him up in Carcharodons colours. Inspired by Machinepriest's painting style and knowing that it's best to try out a technique on something that doesn't cost 50 odd quid this is what I've come up with:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/DSCN3053.jpg

I think I've probably over-done some of the weathering, I think a 'less is more' attitude would have worked better but aside from that, what do y'all think?

Any and all opinions will be appreciated

thanks

James

Aside from the overly-fierce rust streak down the central rivet, this looks very very good, understated enough to not be overpowering, but enough so that you can see its had some action. Lovely.

Machinepriest did a great job (kinda love the glossy black lenses) and his work is a good inspirationnal source.

Talking about space sharks and as I see the browney "rust", i'd say that considering the fact red and black will be the aditionnal colors, perhaps should you try adding some very cold grey tone (after all, sharks bring some kind of coldness with them, don't they 8) ), maybe adding a very small amount of green/blue/black as a shade or in the way you did it with brown and pushing the highlights to pure white. I'm always talking about contrasts but this would bring a lot of it when red and black will be added. And why not a good old orange to black rust effect on some parts too... Contrasts !!!

Just my point...

This will be a great topic !

DS

it looks fine to me ;)

If you are unsure about weathering and rust effects it may be worthwhile investing in some Mig or even FW weathering powders as these can be faded and even removed if the effect doesn't work correctly so long as you don't fix them with white spirit or Migs pigment fixer. I'd advise a coat of Klear or Quick Shine before you start the weathring process as this will protect the paint underneath from the weathering process. You will need to matt/satin varnish when you finish weathering which will get you back to a normal finish instead of high gloss.

Here is one of my attempts:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/paulj1965/GW%2040K/BA011Baalcrop.jpg

It's not a help for your colour scheme but it gives an idea for how much is too much I wanted to go with a well worn finish here but grey is not quite as easy to work with as red for weathering in my experience. I think it's down to the contrast between the dirt/weathering and grey being quite low unlike red.

Here is a grey example of mine and I don't think it's as strong as the Baal.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/paulj1965/GW%2040K/P1262661crop.jpg

It looks like a very good grey for the sharks. I also followed Machinepriest's formula for painting my sharks and like it very much. I'll try to get some new WIP pics up tonight and update my thread. Looking good so far.

Looking mighty fine Pig of Sparta :HQ:

I'm really happy that I can inspire people with my work :)

When I finally get around to some vehicles I will go for paint chips in dark grey as well instead of the dark black/brown mix I use for my Marines.

As for your Contemptor.

While your grey looks awesome, I would love to see one on Sons of Medusa colours, or even as a Howling Griffon!

Especially that mostly black colour scheme they sport in Imperial Armour 10.

Carcharodons are starting to get mainstream :P

The weathering looks great mate, not over done apart from perhaps that central rust/oil streak being a bit bigger than the others. But who isn't to say it just rusted/leaked faster than elsewhere? But others have already said this :eek

Thanks to everyone who replied. As soon as my contemptor show's up (I'm still waiting for it to be dispatched according to FW's website) I'll get to work on it.

@ Machinepriest: you're right we latecomers are kinda stealing the alternate-ness of the Sharks from the pioneers like you, that said, apparently imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :tu:. I quite like the Howling Griffons scheme in the IA book, but I don't really like painting stuff that's all black. Now you've suggested it though I think I might try and find something I can try the scheme out on....well, maybe.

@ PJ1933: thanks for posting some examples of your work with weathering. To be honest I've only recently begun to start exploring weathering my models. I greatly admire the results that people get with weathering powders and in time I fully intended to invest in them. However the process of using them appears to be very time consuming and messy which is what's putting me off just now since I don't have the time or a suitable place to work with them. In future though once I get some stuff sorted out, well fingers crossed I can add another aspect of the hobby to my skill set :)

thanks

James

Hi James,

weathering powders don't have to be any dirtier to work with than paint so long as you pre-mix them with water. I dip an old brush into the weathering powder than have use and old blister pack lid as a container and add a little water and mix it up as paste you can then paint it onto the model, allow it to dry. Hold the model over a sheet of newspaper to gather any loose powder and use an old drybrush to remove the excess and tune the effect to taste.

Archived