Sisters of Battle - 17Jan Retributors & Avenger update

the area you will be placing the yellow looks good.   I still think you should add some black, even if you only limit it to around the cockpit, and maybe a really thin line on the outer edge of the wing stripes and tail wing stripes.   You could also run a thin black line down the side of the long yellow stripe on the body of the plain, like pinstriping.  It would be a slow and tedious task but would look good.  The metal would look better toned down, but then again, they are sisters so i can see what you mean about the shiny.   If they swoop in on their target just right, that shine can blind them with the emperor's light before the emperor's wrath is brought down on them.  

Well, Sister Biggles' ride is looking very nice either way. Glad there's at least some shine protection in the form of the yellow in front of the cockpit. I'd imagine it would be pretty embarrassing if Sister Biggles' ride crashed into something because she was blinded by her own shine. :D

Yup, that looks like the right amount of yellow!

See how you go with the black cockpit surround, start small and make it bigger if you feel it needs it, but I reckon it will look pretty slick as is. One thing I would suggest is to outline the yellow with a thin black stripe which will really help lift the yellow from the silver.

See how you go with the black cockpit surround, start small and make it bigger if you feel it needs it, but I reckon it will look pretty slick as is. One thing I would suggest is to outline the yellow with a thin black stripe which will really help lift the yellow from the silver.

Love what you are doing! Sisters were my primary army a few editions ago, before I tried to get out of the hobby (....but they pulled me back in.wacko.png ) Not 100% sure if this is what Nighthunters is talking about, but.... it makes for great reference...

http://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2008/8138.jpg

Cheers, all!

the area you will be placing the yellow looks good. I still think you should add some black, even if you only limit it to around the cockpit, and maybe a really thin line on the outer edge of the wing stripes and tail wing stripes.

The more I think about it, the more I'm positive I'm going to attempt exactly this.

Well, Sister Biggles' ride is looking very nice either way. Glad there's at least some shine protection in the form of the yellow in front of the cockpit. I'd imagine it would be pretty embarrassing if Sister Biggles' ride crashed into something because she was blinded by her own shine. biggrin.png

I will bring the light of the Emperor to the lost and the damned. I will bring it right to their eyes, Emperor willing, so they don't just throw up a curtain of lead and hit that 10/10 side and rear armour...

Love what you are doing! Sisters were my primary army a few editions ago, before I tried to get out of the hobby (....but they pulled me back in.wacko.png ) Not 100% sure if this is what Nighthunters is talking about, but.... it makes for great reference...

http://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2008/8138.jpg

Yes and yes cool.png That same Sabre scheme is my primary inspiration for this project!

My goal is to do the white and then yellow this Saturday evening, and the black stripes if my hand is feeling steady enough. After that I'll be moving on to the cockpit, but I still haven't ordered those googles yet. At $2.50 there's no reason I couldn't have done it already, except I'm incredibly lazy. I get nervous before doing details like the black stripe, because my hands have started doing this weird thing where they suddenly twitch, and usually pretty wide. I have to fix an errant dab of paint at least once on every project, which isn't usually a problem for my Chaos Marines as they're pretty dirty looking, but with my loyalist armies I'm trying to keep them bright and clean looking.

If I might suggest, if you are trying to keep straight clean lines, pick up some blue painter's tape and see if you can't get it applied as straight and parallel as possible. Might not get it perfect, but may help keep the errant dabs minimized and more easily corrected.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't actually wandered away from this project. I recently started filling in the Bleached Bone to work the "distinctive markings" up to the bright yellow that I want. Instead of doing all the Skull White first, I went ahead and did the wing markings to get an idea if this is going where I want it to or not.

16. Still working on the yellow markings:
gallery_53134_7133_10865.jpg

I did find some appropriately sized pinstriping tape, although I'm not sure if it will work on the fuselage. I need to practice with it to see if I want to risk having a go on the model after I've done so much painting on it. If it doesn't work I'm now fairly convinced that I can freehand in the black lines without it looking terrible.

I'm going to spend the rest of tonight working on my Call of Chaos stuff, but I reckon I'll get the rest of the yellow on this coming week.

On a side note, this model is a pain in the ass to get on and off the flying stem. It's already wearing paint off the landing hook housing...

• 2 months later...

Coming off the Call of Chaos, I need to get away from the fancy quartered paint scheme and back to something simple for a while. So this evening, after getting frustrated with a couple of Aspiring Champions I had been messing about with, I decided to pick the yellow back up and do something with my girls instead.

So I'm working on a squad of Heavy Bolter Retributors:

gallery_53134_7133_141039.jpg

I would like to get them done this weekend, just as a thing to do. You know, that whole "progress" thing...

I haven't forgotten my Avenger, either. Since I last posted on it I've coloured in the rest of the yellow markings. I still haven't ordered Sister Biggle's aviator googles, so I haven't started on the cockpit yet, but that's going to happen in the near future, I guess. No picture of the yellow markings right now, but I'll probably upload one with my next Retributor update.

-Thanks for reading-

It is indeed good to be working on them again!

Here is what I've been up to for the last couple of hours:

gallery_53134_7133_101497.jpg

Bleached Bone for the robes, shaded with Agrax Earth (will go back over with thinned out white). Leadbelcher for the metal bits shaded with Nuln Oil. Evil Scarz Red on bolter and purity seals, shaded with Agrax. The hair was also shaded with Nuln Oil (will probably dry-brush white later), and the faces had Elf Flesh shaded with Ogryn Flesh put on them.

gallery_53134_7133_4655.jpg

The heavy bolters more or less done, but I've got some more stuff to do to the figures before gluing them on. I need to colour in the bolter shells. I should have picked up some copper coloured paint for that, but I didn't so that will wait until tomorrow.

17. Avenger with the yellow markings coloured in - oblique:

gallery_53134_7133_62169.jpg

18. Avenger with the yellow markings coloured in - top view:

gallery_53134_7133_77731.jpg

My ingenious new photography area:

gallery_53134_7133_15268.jpg

I've been using a cardboard trifold presentation thing, like what kids use to show off school fair projects and whatnot. This is a new set-up, more convenient. It's just a sheet of poster paper that I hang on the side of the refrigerator when not in use, and stick in place with magnets on the stove top to take advantage of the lighting in the kitchen when taking photographs. Now I don't have to modify the image to get rid of the shadows in the corners or the open spaces between cardboard pieces anymore (my trifold thing fell apart)

So there is that. I don't think I'll do any more tonight, as I'm pretty sure the house is no longer heating and I need to find out why... down.gif

Exactly, GW do a new orangey yellow wash which i am loving at the moment, you can paint it on quite thin and it really gives yellows some muscle!

Then a sepia wash on the rivets, bit of silver around the edges to simulate a bit of paint flake, christ even i am excited!

Archived