Scout Snipers

Ryguy105

http://i.imgur.com/SI0KQ.jpg

This is my first near-complete work (been painting for almost a month now).

A few things, I am not good with the white (I like undercoating in black). So it's tough to get good coverage it seems. I haven't done the base yet. I'm not good with painting faces. And I can't figure out how to get these symbol cutouts to stick to the shoulderpads after soaking them in water. Any advice on these things?

I have more shots if anyone is interested. I took a break from these and have started on a Death Company squad with jump packs.

They're looking good mate.

White is always a pain in the neck to do I find. I use the Citadel foundation paints starting with either some sort of grey (adepts battle grey springs to mind) or tallarn flesh (I find the flesh gives a slight off-white look to it which I like). The foundations go well over anything so only 1 or 2 coats are needed :o

Personally, on my own scouts I went with an urban theme and did their cloth parts in greys and browns rather than white.

Those seem like cool ideas. It was suggested to me to possibly go over the white with a gray wash of some sort. I may lean toward that. But I really like how the white works with this. Just wish I could make it look better. I use all citadel paints by the way, that was the bleached bone one (I'm at work so I don't know exact name).

The only thing I really changed from the generic Blood Angels scouts that I see is the cloaks. I just don't see how the camo works well with the theme. And I really like red. Here is a few from the back:

http://i.imgur.com/khsXV.jpg

The trickiest thing about white is it needs to be undercoated and use really thinned layers. Gray is your best bet. Either Adeptus Battlegray from the Citadel Foundation line or Codex Gray. Then layer up to Fortress Gray, and then if you want use Space Wolves Gray. After that just thin your white down with about 2:1 or 3:1 water to paint. Some people use Space Wolves Gray as their final color and simply highlight with white, since SWG comes off as an off-white anyway, or mix it 1:1 with Skull White. As for washes, a watered-down Badab Black wash is your best bet. I use the same thing.

Transfers have always been very tricky. After soaking it for about 30 seconds just use a wet brush to slide the transfer where you want it. Try to keep the surface (in this case, the shoulder pad) wet too, that will let you move it around a little bit, just be careful because if you fiddle with it too much you'll tear the transfer and have to start all over. After you have it where you want it use the brush to push all the excess water and air bubbles out from underneath the transfer. One last tip is to try to cut as close to the transfer as you can, this will prevent unsightly outlines around the image. If you still can't quite get it right look into getting a set of microsol and microset. Both of these things are used for the express purpose of making transfers easier to apply. I only have a bottle of microsol but I've had great results with it.

As for the faces, it'll come with practice. Yours are already looking pretty good! One tip that helped me was to paint my eyes before the rest of the face and instead of trying to put a dot exactly where you want, paint a thin black slit where you want the pupils to be, after you clean up the areas around the eyes nobody will know the difference. On that note, use an off-white color for the eyes and teeth (again, space wolves grey is great for this), it will help them seem a bit more "natural" and less "cartooney" than pure white. In any case you're off to a great start!

Archived