Your Judgement Has Been Passed; The Executioners Are Coming

So I've wanted to do an Executioner army ever since the Badab War imperial armour books came out and this week I finally got around to starting it.

Originally I wasn't going to weather the armour but after looking at Khargan's Contemptor, and having a few chats, I decided that weathering really does suit the Executioners.

That and it gives me a chance to try different types of weathering.

Here's my test model, well, test leg:

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/kanithon/DSC04568.jpg

Comments and Criticism and all that.

Thanks for looking

I think the weathering is a tad to strong, as the gray and is it..blue? look like their melding together. Maybe weathering around the joints, but leave the main armour less weathered?

Not sure what grey bits you're talking about, can't work it out, what bits do you mean?

This was a test for the scheme I wanted to use and also some experiments with weathering, I think I used about 3 different methods whereas I'll probably only use 1 or 2 for my actual models.

Really like it so far, dis regard above comments, what you have here is a 2/3 way point of finish, see the ring highlights of metal medium? ring it just before the weather so its not quite as strong and dot extreme highlight it after weathering, then do your weather (which atm is perfect because all you need to do now is line the edges correctly ((the shape of your damage is awesome, and actually I am jealous)), take a > for instance, the line pointing down to the left you want to line in a grey, not too dark but not too light, just so its noticable, you then want to line the other in pure black, take a grey just off black but noticably off black (this is where your other highlight line needs to be lighter than this) and thin out both lines so they arent thick (this is is easier than painting really thin lines) then finally make really fine trails of metal medium just above the black lines you made. and dot it at the corners where it would be jagged

a lot of text to read there but so far you have a perfect mid step (at least in my mind) and would only take a few minutes to finish it to perfection! :( Keep going, really want to see more! :lol:

heres to hoping not everyone else will pick up executioners like a bandwaggon to join the horde that is carcharodons..

From myself and Chapter Master Kanithon, Executioners are.....****...er...yea... ;)

Yeah, it's based off your scheme Khargan, it was so difficult to relate it too a marine though. Makes sense about the highlights before the weathering too, should have thought of that.

I think I know what you're talking about with the weather, basically, for the chips/weather, highlight the top with a lighter colour and the bottom of the chip with a darker colour then the highlight to add depth and then use metal medium to outline all of that with lines and dots? Does that make sense?

I think I"ll spray one of my tactical marines and try again with that. My test model has about 4 layers of paint on him where I was trying to get it right.

Hopefully not too many people will pick up Executioners, Metalics are a hard colour to paint and adding a colour in with that just makes it worse :lol:

well.. yess but in weathering case top is bottom and bottom is top because you gotta look at it like an overhang the upper layer of paint causes an overhang so it would cause slight shadow, the bottom where the new paint meets the chip would catch the light if you get me, look at the contemptor back of the leg or knee pad for best pic to relate to this. either way you are definitely on the right path!

I think there's maybe a bit too much dark mottling (weathering patches)?

What I would do is have less, a lot less patches (compare that elbow plate to rest of model which by the way is the part I am most drawn to as i can properly split the damage from the actual army colour scheme and not get lost looking at it if you understand what I mean) but use a devlan mud (watered down, applied in streaks then clean the brush and then brush it outward from where painted so it leaves a stain but not a blatant patch, it will make it look more worn and beaten as though about to chip.

Given its on a marine it works slightly differently as you said before, I think maybe the damage should be smaller? (feel almost as though the chips are so large on the marine that they don't look so much like chips but that's just because of scale translation between the dread and a marine) maybe grey chipping on boots, elbows, gauntlets, elbows, and scratches on places that may not come into contact with other armour pieces or landscape in a logical sense? Unsure really until I give painting a marine a go too.. but I think the above is how I am going to give it a go

a final note though, Use a lighter tone as the base colour for your chipping (where it currently looks off black) as it doesnt leave you transition to accentuate them with a black shadow line against the primary armour colour above it.

P.S Glazing with washes with a water dilute and building them up as though you use them like a paint and blending will really bring out that battle damage and weathering and give real tone to your model without suddenly blotching out the base colour :woot:

Cheers Khargan.

Glad you can help, never really done weathering before so its all in the learning, I did think the armour look like camo rather then chipped. I do like the elbow like you pointed out so that's what I'm going to aim for.

Don't really want to paint over the scheme so I'll strip him at some point =]

Thanks for the advice

Tried again, this time I've used 50/50 chaos black and codex grey as the main chipping and then used chaos black as the shadow and metallic medium as the highlight and also to add scratches.

I think it's better then the previous model but not brilliant but I'm getting there.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/kanithon/DSC04585.jpg

Photos not great which doesn't help either - need to find my other camera.

what'cha think?

yea its definitely getting there! just a little less and I think its perfect :lol: (maybe be selective where instead of all over?) looking forward to seeing that shadowing and highlighting on the damage to bring it out, and show up the original chapter colours more from it :)

It doesn't look as much like weathering than it looks like hell blew up around them and they shrugged it of and went on with their day lol

I can't decide if that's bad or not...

On a different note, I've been looking at the weathering tutorials on the painting corps blog. Its been quite helpful and I'm gunna try a different way of painting chips and scratches and see if it makes any difference.

Pictures soon

I'm also working on an army list at the moment, trying to make it as fluffy as possible.

I'm including khan and cassius as my HQ's mainly because cassius is a steal for the amount of points he is. And Khan because of his chapter traits. Just thought it'd make for an interesting try.

Think Sternguard are a must for a fluffy army as they're included in the basic battle company.

Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of my 3rd model on thursday and hopefully you'll like what you see. I think it looks better but then I'm not sure if the chipping is dark enough.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back with a little bit of an update, Managed to finish the 3rd tactical marine.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/kanithon/SAM_1090.jpg

I think the armour could definitely be improved on but I do also thing it's a lot better then it was.

I've also started work on my Death Speaker:

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/kanithon/DSC04571.jpg

what do you all think?

Thanks

i love this weathering work, a bit much in some places but overall a very gritty feel.

one thing i would suggest is work on the little details and bring them out, for example the lenses, skulls and purity seals. that would really make the model pop a bit more.

SB

one thing i would suggest is work on the little details and bring them out, for example the lenses, skulls and purity seals. that would really make the model pop a bit more.

I do agree that the lenses could do with some bright coloration.

Should have probably said that only the armours done, I've spent quite a long time trying to get it right overall for the scheme. Now that I'm happy with it, I'll be moving on to finish all of the fine details

Should have probably said that only the armours done, I've spent quite a long time trying to get it right overall for the scheme. Now that I'm happy with it, I'll be moving on to finish all of the fine details

Looking good so far. ;) Excited to see the details done.

Archived