Tactical optimization for DA

Antilochus

There is a similar topic in the main forum but since we are at a disadvantage compared to the other codexes I thought it would be interesting to discuss the best use of tactical squads in DA armies.

Whats the best way to kit them out? How do you deploy them and what are their main uses during the game?

P.S I'm not wondering wether to use them or not, we all know the DW and RW are better already. Basically I'm asking IF you had to use them, how would you play them?

I am by no means a good general but here goes.

I tend take two squads and combat squad them. I tend to take Flamer and Heavy Bolter when I play (I would prefer the plasma but I seem to love rolling ones). Mainly for the number of hits they can generate. The sergeant has a power fist as it will be the only thing that could really hurt a tough opponent. Depending on points, I would get both squads a Razorback to lug one half of the squad to a further objective or quarter. The heavy and four bolters stick near objectives close to my deployment zone. I support the two near squads with Devastators and the rest of the army is responsible for watching over the other half unless there is scoring units there as well (DW for me as I don't have Sammy and I'm waiting to try my hand at him when he comes in Finecast).

When my DW are scoring, I have left both combat squads stick on an objective so that it is two squads instead of one sitting on the objective. It helped in the shooting phase since a squad can only fire at one unit in a turn. It gives me more time on an objective. But like I said, I am not the best general and usually gets roundly beaten somehow. I just can't keep up with the changes in the metagame with each new Codex.

If I'm a few points short of enough to buy another squad of deathwing, and I have land raiders in the list, I'll take a ten man tactical squad with a powerfist to ride in a 'raider and make it scoring...five does it cheaper, but has ZERO ability to absorb punishment if the tank is destroyed, and the fist is self-explanatory...at the end of the listbuilding process, if I have five points left over, one thing I might spend them on (lower priority than a heavy flamer on a dread, but higher priority than a pintle-mounted stormbolter on a vehicle, for example) is a flamer for the unit. As has been mentioned, five deathwing is only a few points more, and DRAMATICALLY a better choice...but when you're up against the points limit, ten tacs with a fist will serve as that "one more scoring unit."

When I bring Tac squads to assist with my Deathwing I typically equip them as follow: 10man squad w/ meltagun, ML, and power weapon riding in a razorback. Leave the ML and friends back on my objective / in cover while the razorback with melta and power weapon ride up behind my LRC getting cover from the larger tank.

I don't have the access to a lot of models with plasma guns / cannons. If I did I would make a more old school list with a 10man squad riding around in a rhino spitting plasma death.

Best use currently for points is to get a las cannon and either plasma/melta/ or flamer ( Flamers are less useful ive found prefer heavy flamer)

Split ya 5 Man with Lascannon providing long range support.

Other 5 man squad has the special weapons and sarge can have additional weapons or Rhino to move them up

You can use a Razor back - recommend heavy bolter only for support. Lascannons are too expensive for Razor Back.

I generally roll with 3 10 manTac squads base in every army list - with 3 Lascannons, 1 melta who advances with Sarge with Power fist ( Tank busters) and Rhino and the rest are equiped with plasma guns and other sarges has plasma pistol.

Use these 5 man squads for guarding rear for deep striking termies etc as plasma does them in fast and or advancing and skirmishing / objective grabbing.

New codex early next year may have different points costs - well see.

I was thinking that it could be interesting to try some tac squad support to my DW. Something like 3 DW squads, one of them commadn squad with belial in LRC. And then add 2 full tac squads in rhinos. Give them some meltas probably and use one to hold my base when the second one will support DW in assault. And if I have enough point then add speeder and dread.

But unfortunately i haven't time lately to test my idea.

Tactical optimization will have a lot to do with the points value of the game.

At 1000 and less I use pure Greenwing;

Chappi w/JP

Two Squads of Tacs w/ one ML/Flmr one PC/PG add a Rzrbk w/TLLC, PMSB, HKM

One full Dev Sqd w/ 2xHB, 2x PC

LS Tornado

Combat Sqd everyone leaving the TAC HW's to augment the Devs

Send the Chappi, Rzrbk and a foot slogging Combat Sqd forward to secure obj's.

I have not lost a small game with this list yet, nor have I gotten into much HtH. This is a good shootie list that tears up the opponent at range.

Moving up to 1800 points I'll add alternate HQ's DW/RW and more fire power, over that I usually go solid DW, LR's and Dreads.

The thing to keep in mind is that you only have two objectives in any game: 1) Protect your own objective. and 2) Secure the others.

I have found that playing as a shootie army wins more games that a CC army.

Archived