[Artwork] Portrait

EDIT(09/09/11):This one was but a stepping stone... check out my newest design! (post #11)

EDIT(09/10/11):Completed a bit more... (post #12)

I'd just like to say I'm not very skillful at Photoshop or great at making pictures. Everyday I am just astounded at what others can do and I hope someday I can reach their level of awesomeness. Sometimes I get a little inspiration and just go from there.

Anyway, here is what my Night Angel's chapter master look[ed] like so far:

med_gallery_52275_4552_266208.png

I'm going mad over trying to get the hair right. For whatever reason my tablet's pixels differ from my desktop's so I always have to touch it up before posting. Well, the hair just isn't coming out right...

Any helpful thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Dude, that looks really nice, but much too fresh.....ahhhhh......un-veteran-like to be a Chapter Master, he needs scars, or stress-lines, something to him believable as a CM. i hope you find these suggestions helpful,

Cheers,

Jono

You need to age him a bit. He's looking waaay too youthful, imho. I also think the hair needs to be given a new style - it's looking a bit, forgive the term, emo. :blink:

And, uh, he looks a bit like Michael Jackson, btw. ;) :P

All in all, the proportions look a bit young. Marines are known to be large, and have oversized facial features for the most part. Pushing the limits of strong chiseled look is always good. Here is a test using liquify, if you don't mind... Changes are:

Larger, stronger jaw

Smaller eyes

More cranium... dun forget that hair sits on top of the head, so you should draw the skull out first before putting the hair on.

http://scuzworks.com/misc/1nt9s2bg.jpg

Ah, yea I see what you guys are saying about him looking too young and lacking the facial structure of an Astartes. Yea, he does look a bit like MJ. You should have seen him before I added the face details. Thriller! But yea, he is supposed to be a young chapter master, but very sharp for his age. Perhaps I could make him look a bit more weathered, though. My chapter is all about nobility, so I was trying to go for a regal look.

Originally, I wanted the bottom of the neck to be turned counter-clockwise so he would be looking to the right with his hair flowing to the viewer's right by a minor wind (very angelic), but this proved beyond my skill level.

All in all, the proportions look a bit young. Marines are known to be large, and have oversized facial features for the most part. Pushing the limits of strong chiseled look is always good. Here is a test using liquify, if you don't mind... Changes are:

Larger, stronger jaw

Smaller eyes

More cranium... dun forget that hair sits on top of the head, so you should draw the skull out first before putting the hair on.

I guess I'm not used to drawing Astartes yet, and perspective has always been somewhat troublesome. I always start with a simple oval for the head and bisect it half way where the eyes should be, but I always seem to get the cranium's proportions wrong. You're definitely right about the eye size, too. Looks like I need to start over and not rush the basics, but at least I have the base look of what I want down. I'll try to get some rough sketches done tonight. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh and, madscuzzy, props for another awesome banner. Someday I'll be just as good!

I thought it said night lords at first too, but these are his/her DIY chapter that just happen to have a similar name. As to the picture I think its looking a little too japanese anime. I understand if thats the style of art you like, but it really doesn't fit very well with the more realistic/classical style used by Karl Kopinski, Clint Langley ect. I would say blend the pink in a little more to make it less obvious(atm it looks a little too much like lipstick) and also just generally make the features more masculine. Its still quite good, but I would work on these parts in particular.

Maybe he was a Night Lord at one point and the warp mutated his eyes... or maybe not... some things are better left untold... <_<

I thought it said night lords at first too, but these are his/her DIY chapter that just happen to have a similar name. As to the picture I think its looking a little too japanese anime. I understand if thats the style of art you like, but it really doesn't fit very well with the more realistic/classical style used by Karl Kopinski, Clint Langley ect. I would say blend the pink in a little more to make it less obvious(atm it looks a little too much like lipstick) and also just generally make the features more masculine. Its still quite good, but I would work on these parts in particular.

Valid points. I actually wasn't trying to go for an animated look (I used to doodle cartoons a lot during school, though); I'm definitely not a professional and this is the closest to realism I've gotten with Photoshop so far. I do wish I was less than half as good as the people you mentioned, though. Maybe I can find some online tutorials on the realistic/classical style instead of winging it like I've been doing for years.

Perhaps I should try to work in black and white before pushing the boundaries of color theory.

Heh, I was just trolling. :D Here's the real one so far:

med_gallery_52275_4552_5954.png

Lol, seriously though, for whatever reason my skill level (or just plain luck... mostly luck...) shot WAY up. I found that having a reference image really helps me with perspective and skin tone. I suck at doing things from scratch so it's nice to have a guideline. Even better that the image had the exact pose I wanted! Is it freaking Christmas?! This is coming out way better than I ever dreamed it would. Seriously, online tutorials and LOTS of patience really payed off.

On a sour note, the whole tablet to desktop pixel thing is really bugging me. My tablet's image always looks much more crisp and clean, so I need to spend more time to clean it up on my desktop before posting... and it still doesn't look as good...

Bonus points for the person who finds what reference image I'm using.

EDIT: I'd also like to state for the record my hand has disintegrated...

I think he needs a wider set jaw. The work so far is good though, I'm wondering what he'd look like when he's finished...

Oh and he also reminds me of someone but this time I can't name them... :P

They look like fragile, feminised and spleeny adolescents IMHO. Astartes must look tough and determined at least. I don't question your talent at all frater, we just do not share the same vision.

DS

Oh believe me, I agree with you. It definitely needs work and more manliness, but my chapter is all about nobility, royalty, and looking angelic. I think I'm finding it tough getting a balance between the down to earth, dirt and blood soaked marine and the high in the sky, regal countenance of a noble leader. When I get to the detail like pores, dirt, scruffiness of battle, it might turn out better. That scar needs to get bigger and deeper, too! What a :P wound!

Hopefully I can widen his features a bit to account for more bone mass, but at this angle of the head I'm not sure if I can accomplish that. This is my first real attempt at tone, so a lot of it is experimentation as of now. We'll see...

In my opinion, those eyes look pretty determined to me. Eyes that say, "Mankind can't lose. Our victories are unrelenting."

His lips are a bit weird... there's something just off about them... I think they need to be more to the left side of his face (talking from his point of view, so in the actual composition, more to the right).

Also it looks like there's some cyborg/transforers sort of stuff going on in his eyes, but I'm guessing it's on purpose.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

edit: also, try adding stubble and see how that looks.

• 6 months later...

I love it, the tones blend very nicely and the sky blue is perfect for a piercing gaze that also smacks of nobility.

One of the main ways to make him more 'Astartes' is to beef up his neck muscles. I mean give that guy a California Redwood diameter neck

I'd also make the jaw broader, and have the chin protude a lilttle more. A deeper cleft also could add masculinity/nobility. I agree with the stubble and definatley after he is a little scarred, perhaps with some delightful studs hammered into his forehead he will look more like the noble warrior your aiming for.

Another cheap and cheerful tactic is nice shiny long hair. apparently all good noble people have that. just make sure its conditioned! :huh:

Archived