Diorama for my girlfriends birthday.

Evening brothers.

I'm going to be working on a diorama for my girlfriends birthday for the 25th, I'll be heading to town to pick up some more parts in the morning.

Going to do a Death Company Dreadnought being attacked by and fending off a squad of Dark Eldar Scourges. - two of her favourite models.

The Death Company Dread is undercoated and assembled in parts (arms, torso, legs etc).

A problem I can see me having however is keeping the two squads looking different. Because the Dread is black and Dark Eldar are predominantley black too. How would you fine ladies and gentlemen resolve this problem? And also, how should I base it? I was thinking a frosty scene might look rather tasty or even a dry and cracked desert.

Let me know asap, my hour grows late haha.

Motorbike Mike.

Honestly, I have seen very few dark eldar models actually colored black. The majority that are around here anyway tend to very dark shades of purple, green, red or other very dark, understated colors. Black is used as an accent at times, but I can't think of anyone (locally, mind you.) that has Black for their dark eldar. If you want yours to be in black, try highlighting the edges of their armor and clothing in one of the above colors, this makes the armor look to be an extremely dark color that is fading towards black.

I would paint the scourges' wings in lighter colours than whatever you paint the armour, to bring a contrast. But the eyes also need to stand out, so make them light as well. Also, I agree with Astrum, the Dread can have details on it to break up the colour, I would pay extra attention to any lights which may be on it.

Aye, I've had a little chance to think about it and I'm most certainly going to weather the Dread big time.

Plenty of dirt, snow, blood... you know, the general effect you could imagine 20 tonnes of unstoppable killing machinary on the battlefield to to have.

I've also had the chance to write up a colour scheme for the Dark Eldar, which is as follows;

1. Undercoat Black.

2. Bascoat Hawk Turquoise.

3. Wash Asurmen Blue.

4. Blend Hawk Turquoise.

5. Blend 75/25 HT/Ice Blue.

6. Blend 50/50 HT/IB.

7. Blend 25/75 HT/IB.

8. Blend IB.

9. Extreme edge highlight Space Wolves Grey.

10. Wash twice with 25/75 Asurmen Blue/H2O.

What do you think?

Motorbike Mike.

Archived