A More Versatile List

Babel_Triumphant

I've been playing some games with a DoA assault army, and I feel like I'm pretty good with it and like the close combat. However, I also have a spare tactical squad that I've been using to fill in extra points for objective holding and fire support. I've found I also like the idea of shooting at the enemy and having some units capable of holding important points. My question is, is there a decent build which would take advantage of jumpy assault troops as well as some slower, shootier objective holding men? And what are the units I'd be using for this?

I supplement my DoA troops with missile Devs and one sniper/missile scout squad (for scoring). They also have a bare priest with them, and are normally hard to dig out of cover. I reckon that a Tac would fit in just fine with that, supplanting the scouts. And oddly enough, I'd probably opt for the 10 point lascannon in that situation.

It wouldn't be using a lot of jump troops, but I had toyed around with the idea of a list that was something like this:

Librarian (Shield, Lance)

Furioso (Grapple, Drop Pod)

Furioso (Grapple, Drop Pod)

10 Tacticals (Missile, Melta, Combi-Melta; HF Razor)

10 Tacticals (Missile, Melta, Combi-Melta, HF Razor)

5 Scouts (Sniper, HB)

5 Scouts (Sniper, HB)

5 ASM (Melta, Infernus)

5 ASM (Melta, Infernus)

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

1 Land Speeder (MM/HF)

10 Devs (4 Missile)

1 Predator (AutoLas)

1 Predator (AutoLas)

Should be a few under 2K; you can shrink it down to 1850 or 1750 with some careful trimming. You have eight scoring squads, lots of infantry on the board, lots of vehicles on the board, heavy shooting, lots of deployment options, and just generally a million of everything to overwhelm your opponent. I think you could squeeze in a Priest if you were careful, to help with melee capability. Everything that can Combat Squad does, with Missiles split between the two halves of the Dev squads so you can split fire and have more ablative bodies.

My most recent list has diluted my previously JP army. I was in the same spot as you - kill anything in combat but, apart from my Stormraven, lacking any range. The aggressive army also always left me back tracking for the home objective. Not good.

I've gone with exactly what Volcatus said - a Dev squad (Las/Plas-cannons), 5 sniper/ml Scouts (chose these over the Tacticals as can have the ML in a 5 man squad and a little more range from the rifles) with a naked Priest to provide the FNP which is also useful for any plasma Gets Hot.

The Dev's have been excellent in my last two games though the scouts are as yet untested.

Archived