Terminators vs. Honor Guard

rpnightsend

a little off topic now.. hopefully the OP doesnt mind too much.

yeah tual is an amazing chap, really helped me out when i restarted in the hobby, i owe a great part of my tactical awareness to him

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/003-5.jpg

edit: hes tilting back a bit too much, there are some problems with overseas shipping, i didnt pin him back in place correctly, need to readdress that.

anyhoo i made an army list here. that uses khan

getting back on topic, i suppose HQ choices play a big role in the choice between honour guard and termies.. if your normally accustomed to using a chapter master for the OB, then HG are a no brainer, however if like me you favour a certain SC, then your far more likely to go with termies.

i guess my point is, sometimes is not a direct choice between uints, the FOC often forces our hand when we take a turn towards a certain army build

Very nice ;)

He does look like he is hit-&-run'ing :lol:

+++

Hmmm.

So I've been thinking. It might be a lemon but I'll let you decide....

Remember Lash and Oblitz? Dragging your Marines from cover, then clumping them for some plasma cannon goodness? :D

Maybe H&R could be used in a simulation of Lash....?

You leave the departed from group in that horrid clump. Plasma cannons have taken a hit in this edition, imo, due to cover being so easy and so effective in 5th.

This jilted unit has nothing to hide behind, and the blasts are ready for maximum coverage....

An Oblit is not a cheap thing. Now I know they are super ubiquitous, but to use their Mgs, they are getting exposed to small arms fire....

Plasma Devs. These are not something I have been that keen on in 5th. but with this faux-Lash idea, they could be a merciless one-two with H&R. Given the number of 2+ and/or FNP units getting around, this is starting to get better mileage.

Deathwing is loaded up with 3++, which makes ap2 less powerful. But the command unit with Belial will have FNP. So you have cut their save from 2+ with FNP _8.3%_ to 3++ _33%_ failure....

Add in Nullzone, on normal and the command unit, and that failure rate goes to 55%

BA are often very heavy users of FNP.

Grey Knights have much TEq saves, but their invulnerable is often 'only' 4 or 5++

A Plasma cannon, plus two Marines, is 18 points less than an Oblit. Sure the Oblit has much more in its toolkit, but you don't always get a chance to use everything to its maximum value with such swiss army knives.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

its a good tactic, one i have in my little book using thunderfires instead of plasma cannons, although the latter would work better (i just dont use them with scouts)

hit and run works just like necron teleporting out of combat, alhtough its done at the end of the combat (teleporting happens in movement phase) its done after resolution therefore the enemy cannot consolidate.

there used to be a dual monolith trick using one to teleport the unit and using the other to AP1 blast the enemy unit into the next world.. so the tactic is viable and has been used fo some time by many different armies.

ill see if i can pull it off later tonight, ill write a batrep for you.. it will be in the ultramarines sub-forum

edit@ lash nowadays just doesnt spark much fear, so many people use libbies as a result of the new GK, BA and SW powers

Archived