Venerable Dreadnought

Ashdown

Ran out of DullCote so it's a bit glossier than I would like, but that is an easy fix. I also havent decided what I am going

to write in the scrolls on the chest, so those are blank at the moment. But I hope you enjoy and as always; critiques,

comments, and haters are always welcomed.

Ash

103_0871.JPG

103_0874.JPG

103_0873.JPG

103_0875.JPG

How did you achieve the fantastic weathering?

For the white, I looked at some real life weathered vehicles and saw lots of brown and sepia colors. So I took a spounge and used Charadon Granite. I then go over that with Panzer Aces Rust. Not to much though, once you get started youll see what you like etc... I then take my airbrush with a Sepia Ink slightly watered down with Pledge with Future and highlight with that. My biggest challange was getting the black to pop. I think it is the hardest color to show detail without looking to grey. Any ways I hope that helps and thanks for the positive comments.

Ash

How did you achieve the fantastic weathering?

For the white, I looked at some real life weathered vehicles and saw lots of brown and sepia colors. So I took a spounge and used Charadon Granite. I then go over that with Panzer Aces Rust. Not to much though, once you get started youll see what you like etc... I then take my airbrush with a Sepia Ink slightly watered down with Pledge with Future and highlight with that. My biggest challange was getting the black to pop. I think it is the hardest color to show detail without looking to grey. Any ways I hope that helps and thanks for the positive comments.

Ash

I'll bite -- how did you do the black? Also, why the Pledge future?

Excellent looking dread brother. I love weathered models and yours is very well done. Have you considered adding some sort of "soot" or discoloration to the tops of the exhausts? They look a little too clean compared to the other weathered areas.

I'll bite -- how did you do the black? Also, why the Pledge future?

First the Pledge with Future is an acrylic based varnish. So I use that to clear coat for applying inks etc... You can get 32oz for 3$ and will last you forever.

Onto the black... I use the following colors:

Testors flat black primer.

Createx Black (Airbrush)

Vallejo Panzer Grey

Createx Transparent Grey

Sepia Ink

Base it in black, then re-base it in the createx black. This color is really shinny and lends well for applying highlights. I then lightly airbrush the panzer grey where I want my highlights. I usually just do a 90 degree zenthial lighting approach. I do the 90 degrees to keep everything consistent with my army. I dont want to field multiple pieces with multiple light sources. I then go over it again with the transparent, using it a bit more liberally in its application. Almost gives it a glazing effect. I then hit all the joints with the Sepia Ink. But keep this in mind I am using an airbrush which makes painting larger models a breeze.

Archived