Custodes Army

crandall87

I've wanted to do an army of Custodes ever since I saw Dave Taylor's army a few years ago and with the Grey Knights book we've seen a few people starting their own so I'm jumping on the bandwagon myself. I plan to add some Sisters of Silence to the army as well as The Emperor and Malcador as my HQ choices.

The first thing I plan to paint for the army is a dreadknight. Okay so the Custodes didn't have them in the fluff but the model is just too nice not to have one. I decided to convert this one up with a halberd style weapon to match the Custodes theme.

http://www.leagueofextraordinarygamers.co....eadknight-1.JPG

He got it from scibor and I can say without any doubt as I have 20 of them that while lovely, they are way to big for any GW produced spacemarine model and look utterly rediculous on them.

Sad but true...

Rergards,

Crynn

They are indeed Scibor helms. Too big for regular marines. A good size for terminators but no way they would fit onto the body without hacking the back off which is what I did here, however you can't see the terminators back on this model. For my regular guys I'll be using the Scibor torsos.

• 3 weeks later...

Another addition to this army is a dreadnought based of this artwork:

http://leagueofextraordinarygamers.co.uk/i...Dreadnought.jpg

After seeing the awesome Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought from Forgeworld I knew it would make a great addition to my army. The artwork above is of a Custodes Dreadnought and I wanted to make my dreadnought also holding an unfortunate Chaos victim.

I found this set quite interesting to put together. It's nice how easy it is change the pose although there are a lot of fiddly little pieces. I didn't like the assault cannon so much, the barrels come in pairs which have to be glued on to the main gun which was really awkward. Overall the Dreadnought was easy to put together considering there were no instructions. I do think I could have done more with this model to make it look more like it was running instead of walking but I am quite happy with the finished result.

http://leagueofextraordinarygamers.co.uk/i...des_dread_1.JPG

I've wanted to do an army of Custodes ever since I saw Dave Taylor's army a few years ago and with the Grey Knights book we've seen a few people starting their own so I'm jumping on the bandwagon myself. I plan to add some Sisters of Silence to the army as well as The Emperor and Malcador as my HQ choices.

The first thing I plan to paint for the army is a dreadknight. Okay so the Custodes didn't have them in the fluff but the model is just too nice not to have one. I decided to convert this one up with a halberd style weapon to match the Custodes theme.

http://www.leagueofextraordinarygamers.co....eadknight-1.JPG

Very nice output! I'll be looking forward on more creative works! :)

• 2 months later...

Have to say i love the dreadknight conversion and the contemp dread's looking good, more depth is needed though, concerning the traitor marine in his hand, you are going for the 'pre heresy'/battle of terra feel? if so the black legion wasn't formed till after the battle for terra cause Abaddon saw Horus as a failiure and so re named the legion, just something to consider that people will say if you obviously say "this army are pre heresy"

rob

That's uhh interesting so far. What's next? Some washes or layering or highlights I hope?

A better camera if I'm honest. Both models have been washed and highlighted but the camera doesn't pick them out very well.

@Dorns_Fist - That's a very good point. I never even thought of that. However this dreadnought is based off a piece of artwork from the HH series in which he is holding a Sons of Horus who is in black armour.

ah my apologees, on first glance i thought they were iron warriors. my bad lol

Also keep in mind that the Sons of Horus veterans also wore black armor prior to the renaming of the Legion, so he's in the clear.

Very true I forgot about that, I thought that was just for their terminators.

Archived