potential work log

It's no secret I like big toys. And you just don't get much bigger then Titans. While the Emperor class titan is about as big as they can get (unless you want to start Castigator and STC titans but I'd rather not) there is a point you have to look at what you can realistically make use of. Transporting something that would probably wind up being larger then I am would be nightmare while I can easily see someone showing up for an Apoc game to see me assembling a 40k Emperor class titan and very quickly remembering they need to pick up there sister from the airport. So I've decided to limit myself and go a wee-bit more tactical in my approach to building something bit. A warlord! Now, here's the challenging part.

I'm NOT going to build a 40K version of this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/m1252004_99110307002_EpicWarlordMain_873x627.jpg

Nor am I going to base my efforts off of this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/chaplainhires2.jpg

Rather, I am going to build something that is inspired, yes I said inspired not based, by this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/reference.jpg

Presently I am only in the very early conceptualizing stages of this, but I have some thoughts I want to put down on pape... er... memory.

First thing: Weapons. I want to make them modular so I can swap them out.

The Vulcan Mega-bolter: I don't want to build a giant assault cannon like in the illustration. I rather like the Ubber-bad assery that is the Mega Bolters from Forge World and the Stormlord. So I'm going to build a pair of Shoulder mounted Vulcan bolters patterned off of those designs.

Second thing: The head. This is something that's been on my mind for a long time. I think the more human appearing imperial Titans should have some resemblance to space marines. Not nessicarially take a Tac marine and scale it up, but enough of a resemblense so that when you look at a Space marine and then look at a Warlord you can say to yourself "Yeah, I can understand them answering to the same guy". Plus the Space Marines are "The Angels of Death" and the Titans are "God Machines". I think it would help to connect the two a bit more visually.

So with those thoughts in mind, Here's my first concept for my Maverike Pattern Warlord (Further Advancements will occur):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/planning01.jpg

So I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm posting this. Well for feed back. For suggestions. For Ideas. I've done 3 work logs on here and have gotten really great feed back through all of them. This will be the single largest Warhammer Project I have undertaken to date and I'm sure many of you have you own ideas and concepts about titans. I would like to have those ideas on the table.

Have a suggestion for what you think the Quake Cannon should look like that differs from the illustration? Lets have it. Right now I'm thinking of it has basically a Giant up-scaled Earthshaker cannon, complete with dropping spent shells the size of Land raiders out of the it's breach.

Some time in the next couple weeks I'm going to start a development build on one leg based on the following measurements:

The lower leg will be 6" tall, the middle knee portion will measure 3" in length while the upper leg will measure 5" tall.

Now, here's my first request for help: The legs. More specifically the hydraulics. I don't want to just stick 1/4" pipping inside of 5/16" tubing and call it hydralics. That reminds me too much of the knees on this dino:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/donthavethis.jpg

So can anyone point me something different besides just giant over sized pistons for this guy? Pics would be great, but just suggestions of something to look up would be fine too.

This is going to be impressive judging by the concept pics. Have you thought about intricate cogs and other clockwork looking parts for the wormy bitz? It would probably be a massive undertaking and incredibly complex but it sure would be an interesting take on a walking avatar of the Machine God.

This is going to be impressive judging by the concept pics. Have you thought about intricate cogs and other clockwork looking parts for the wormy bitz? It would probably be a massive undertaking and incredibly complex but it sure would be an interesting take on a walking avatar of the Machine God.

not sure what you're referring to. Can you elaborate or post a pic?

I don't have a picture but I was thinking something along the lines of the Golden Army from the Hellboy movie. They looked like the were powered by clockwork with gears attached to linkages that moved the body parts around. I guess the best way to describe it would be like the old steam powered locomotives with the offset wheel driven by an arm.

I don't have a picture but I was thinking something along the lines of the Golden Army from the Hellboy movie. They looked like the were powered by clockwork with gears attached to linkages that moved the body parts around. I guess the best way to describe it would be like the old steam powered locomotives with the offset wheel driven by an arm.

Ah, I believe the word you are looking would be "Steam Punk Mechanical". Okay that gives me a better idea of what you're talking about now. I'll into it and see what I come up with.

I built a paper warhound titan and then started to paper Mache it. I know you are against the whole tubes in smaller tubes for hydraulics but it actually looks very good especially if you GS some more detail into it.

It's not so much that I'm against that approach for Hydraulics, I'm against making them that simple. Like the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking about doing groups of 3 smaller hydralics versus the single larger hydraulics in the illustration.

As an aside I'm debating about adding Side shields to my design, mainly to further the resemblence to a space marine.

Like so (Ignore the Eldar Rune. it's the first Icon path I ran across)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/planning02.jpg

I also edited in the triple hydraulic pistons I'm talking about as well.

I made some basic toes today, mainly for sizing work. I think I went too big. For scale purposes I put a Land Raider next to the toes with a bucket to approximate how large the foot would need to be for these toes. Can't decide if this is TOO big or just about right for a Warlord. Thoughts?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/081511225001.jpg

It's all relative when it comes to the sizing. There is a fair amount out there which states what size a warlord should be. If you then work then work that up from the size of FW reaver titan you then have the height of your warlord.

Then it's just a case of adding that scale to your drawing. I would have thought that would be the first thing you'd do. If you just make a random series of components they could all end up out of proportion from one another.

I started plans for a 40k warlord based off the epic version, it has been sidelined in the drawings stage but when I get home later I can dig out the initial numbers and tell you what height I was going for, how big feet are etc. that might help give you some perspective.

Out of interest, how are you doing your drawings? Are they just paper based scribbles or on a PC.

It's all relative when it comes to the sizing. There is a fair amount out there which states what size a warlord should be. If you then work then work that up from the size of FW reaver titan you then have the height of your warlord.

Then it's just a case of adding that scale to your drawing. I would have thought that would be the first thing you'd do. If you just make a random series of components they could all end up out of proportion from one another.

See, you're assuming I actually know what I'm doing. I don't. I have no training in design, or technical drawing, or scale work, or anything like that. I'm in the process of refining my Hell Screamer fighter design, have been having fun with that and decided to start the prelim work on a titan to really push myself. No design training here what so ever. That's what makes this kind of project so much fun.

I started plans for a 40k warlord based off the epic version, it has been sidelined in the drawings stage but when I get home later I can dig out the initial numbers and tell you what height I was going for, how big feet are etc. that might help give you some perspective.

Out of interest, how are you doing your drawings? Are they just paper based scribbles or on a PC.

Thanks. I'll take all the info I can get. Whether or not I'll be able to figure out how to use it... that'll be the bigger question.

I took the image of the Warlord from the Apoc books, dropped it into Photoshop and have been progressing adding layers on top of it.

Speaking of which, kinda revamped the shoulder armor some more to be more reminiscent of Space marine armor:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/planning03.jpg

Here's a photo of what I sketched up as a foot.

gallery_60109_6402_439929.jpg

The dimensions are that of the epic model. I was going to upscale this by a ratio of 8.

I actually changed the design from a central core section to an octagonal section as it is easier to cut a straight line in foamboard, but it shows the general gist. This was put onto solid works. I realised after a couple of sleepless weekends that it wasn't for me so now all drawings go onto Visio. They then get printed off and spray mounted to foamboard. More low tech but very simple and easy for rapid prototyping the templates.

Once I get the drawings sorted I will pick a more durable material.

Hope that helps.

Yup 1" becomes 8". However my vernier only works in mm (as it's cheap) though I find inches confusing and most stuff these days comes in metric and not imperial.

whether it's being done in Imperial messurement or Metric doesn't matter, just so long as I make sure to start with one and end with the same one. I just wanted to make sure I understood your scaling process. Like I said, I have 0 training in design or architecture or anything like that.

I have pretty much gone from scratch on this sort of thing. Since december last year I have desinged and built this:

gallery_60109_5815_211512.jpg

and this:

gallery_60109_5815_301095.jpg

Both were desinged and then built in a similar manner to that I previously described. I have 0 training in architecture etc. too, I'm just a poor lowly biologist. They might look complicated but aren't. I only used the computer to have designs that I could modify and replicate at will. Basically I didn't want to make just a one off model as it would waste the time I spent on it by not keeping the design.

okay, I have to put this project on hold probably for the indefinite future. As psyched as I was about building a titan the more I thought it through and figured out sizes and such the more I realized I have not the space for such a project. So if I have any more thoughts about this project I'll post them, but for the time being I simply do not have the space to construct something that's going to be on the order of 5 feet tall.

Archived