Greetings Battle Brothers

Bolt Thrower

Hi there, there seems to be no introduction section but it's rude to post stuff without a proper introduction.

I got into the 40k universe way back in the age of strife (late 80s/early 90s) via Space crusade and Space Hulk then later through Necromunda. I always wanted to get into 40k but none of my mates did and there were no GW stores withing a 100 mile radius way back then and as I was only 12 I couldn't exactly jump in the car like I can now.

I was always a fan of the Dark Angels even before their first codex came out so now that I have the time and the means of playing I'm building the army that I would have loved all those years ago. I've only played the game a few times and that was a long time ago so I'm as green as they come and I'll be relying on my local store ( I now have three GW stores in a 20 mile radius + half a dozen independents!) and club to initiate me into the game of 40k.

So, so far I have the Assault on Black Reach box set. I've got them undercoated ready to paint. I have the DA veteran Serageant box and a few random bikes and very old metal miniatures which I may or may not be able to use.

I haven't painted a mini since Necromunda came out so I'm a bit rusty but pleased with my results when I painted to completion one of my squad.

I'll be looking to you guys to help me set up my army over the next few months as I'm a bit clueless as to the best loadout for things like my vet squad (still on the sprues!)

Keep true to the Lions teachings brother and Victory shall be yours. You may be green (perfect armor color as a side note) but you have experiance on your side. You'll do the Lion proud.

Dremen, Master of the 4th Company.

Welcome to the Rock!

I got into the hobby through a similar route, getting Space Crusade one Christmas and then opting for Epic and then 40K.

Feel free to ask questions; there are lots of helpful and experienced gamers, painters and converters here.

Enjoy!

I undercoated with a spray that was a little too matt and the wash layer didn't pool very well. Not a major biggy I'm just worried about losing some detail if I undercoat again. The colour I'm looking for is whiter than bleached bone, I fing it a little too wheaten these days. I'll probably just go bleached bone, heavy white highlights and sepia wash I think. I haven't painted for years so I'm still finding my feet.

Welcome on board Brother!

Personally, I'm a mini-spoiler, brush-waster... but as said above, some people around here are masters!

As for the white armour pattern... don't worry if you have too much ink pooling. I suggest you get a test mini and give it some white (with a spot of brown) dry-brush to bring out the detail.

It'll be easier for the eye to recognize the volumes :)

Now that you have introduced yourself... we demand pictures! :P

For your bone color, my suggestion would be 2:1 ratio of bleached bone and graveyard earth. I give them a sepia wash afterwards, but if you just highlight them they should look fine. A dheneb stone highlight should work with the bleached bone.

Archived