[Commission] Finecast Black Templars Emperor's Champion

winterdyne

Starting to feel this is done.

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/michie/emp_champ_gd_done1.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/michie/emp_champ_gd_done2.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/michie/emp_champ_gd_done3.jpg

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/michie/emp_champ_gd_done4.jpg

Extraordinarily well done, which seems to be your norm, sir! :tu:

I have a question though- there seems to be a lot of blank space, a lot of unbroken black. I know this is probably what the client wants but it seems there's a lack of the freehand that seems so important to Golden Daemon judges, as evidenced by this thread:

Pipped buy the sword winner. Personally, I think the judges like Orks because from what I see in the pics, there's not much in it between yours and his quality wise.

I was told it was very close, and the main thing that set him apart was the freehand on the back of the leather jacket, because you could barely see any of it in the final model.

So... I'll try to achieve that level of insanity next year, now that I know that it matters. ^_^

What do you think? Might you need to add more "insanity" to bring home the Gold? :)

Possibly. I'm just tweaking now. I don't think I'll add any more design work, but I'll be pushing the shade / highlights some more.

I've got other entries lined up with a fair bit of freehand (The Mordheim Freelancer). Given the dreadnought I put through last year as well, I felt like doing something really very clean. You'll also notice there's no dirt or battle damage on the figure. :-)

The black is based on a VMC Black-Grey, Codex grey, Blend back to Black technique. Then very subtle glazes of blue to shade and yellow on the highlights to put some temperature contrast on.

• 2 weeks later...
I would really love to know how you got the Crackle effect. Was it a special paint or just a technique. I am getting ready to re paint an army and that is exactly what I want to do except the crackle off white is the main color instead of the black.

this i would love to see, plus a tutorial or description on how to do the cracked effect nicely would be most appreciated from the OP

Sure:

Start with a neatly blended 'white' surface (here it was just darker than fortress grey up to about 50-50 fortress grey / white).

Over that paint extremely thin lines with thin codex grey for the cracking effect. You may want to use a slightly darker grey lower down, over the greyer area (I used VMC black grey added to the codex grey). These are then individually highlighted underneath with thin white (I use VMA white).

Once this is done, colour glazes can be applied; I've added yellowish / sepia to the higher areas, and a touch of shadow grey to the lower area. This helps blend in the cracking work, and make the whole white area less stark.

They were added after the OP here, once the client agreed to push it for GD. If you compare the two images (non-plinth vs plinth) you'll notice them, though they are quite subtle to keep it looking black and white.

@JsMariner: I'd strongly suggest using an airbrushed basecoat followed by a coat of crackle medium on your armour panels, then do a grey wash, possibly with oils. It'll be a hell of a lot faster than freehanding the lot. Less controlled, but a lot faster. Go look on the CMON forums for giganticdark's ultramarine WIPS, he uses the technique on the white there, should be the info you're looking for.

Archived