Kitbashed Thousand Sons Defiler

Jsmarriner

Hey folks. I just got done putting a custom defiler together for a Thousand Sons army I am building. I used of course a defile model and bashed it with a Fantasy Tomb Kings War Sphinx.

For this model I am saying that the stinger on the tail is the main battle cannon. I have it outfitted with the Reaper Auto Cannon and an Extra Close combat weapon. The arm that has the Reaper also has a blade on it in case i feel like just going all the way with two extra close combat weapons.

Im not real good at the green stuff yet but I thin kit turned out well. At least for me.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/300009_274401915909970_100000204906834_1285236_5205626_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297568_274401809243314_100000204906834_1285235_4614271_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298018_274403895909772_100000204906834_1285242_4072858_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/299293_274404212576407_100000204906834_1285243_7864349_n.jpg

I am saying that the Stinger on the tail is what fires the equivalent to the Main Battle Cannon since The THousand Sons are heavy magic. However for range measurement purposes it will be measure from his Abdomen like it would be on a standard model.

I am saying that the Stinger on the tail is what fires the equivalent to the Main Battle Cannon since The THousand Sons are heavy magic. However for range measurement purposes it will be measure from his Abdomen like it would be on a standard model.

Seeing as its Chaos, I'd allow that.

I am saying that the Stinger on the tail is what fires the equivalent to the Main Battle Cannon since The THousand Sons are heavy magic.

Frankly, I think you could just say that the demon can use psychic power.

But, it looks very nice! A very nice compromise between the two kits!

I opened this and said to myself, "Ooooh, I don't know why I didn't think of that!" My next thought was that maybe a Soul Grinder would have been a better base, but this is an excellent idea and kitbash. So if the tail is the Battle Cannon, is the blade on his left arm the TL Heavy Flamer?

My only criticism would be that I would have put the Reaper on the back of the wrist instead of the inside of the wrist. I think it looks kind of awkward where it is, but it's kind of hard to tell in the pictures.

At the moment I dont plan on using the flamer even though the TS are more of a stand back and shoot army. If I do decide to use a flamer then yeah the blade on the left arm will unleash a torrent of warp magic/fire. The Reaper on the right arm is on the inside because there is a blade from the Warsphinx kit on the outside and I wanted that to be seen more than the Reaper. The blades have some awesome detail that help it look Thousand Sons/Egyptian.

As far as which would have been better, a soul grinder or a defiler. Looking at the online images of the sould grinder you are probably right, it would have been an easier conversion since it is set up similar to what I wanted. I didnt think about it though when i bought the models. I honestly didnt get the sould grinder because its for a demon army. But thinking about it I could have done it and been just fine. Oh well. I am happy with the way it turned out.

Also, @Zincite, I like the idea of a psychic/magic power instead of the tail being the source of the Main Battle canon. Still will be measured from the Abdomen of the model though for range purposes.

Thanks for all the possitve feedback and support. I am really happy with it and I am glad that others think its as cool as I do. I have a lot of real life stuff planned for this weekend so it will be Monday at the earliest before I start painting.

Ok so Im bored at work and have been thinking about the army this is going to be in. I was inspired by this model and have decided to name the army the Scorpions of Horus. For those who done know your Egyptian mythology, Horus is porteyed as a man having a bird head, just like a Lord of Change for Tzeentch. The Army is still going to be Thousand Sons based.

EDIT

ok after doing about 2 seconds of CSM research I see that Horus was already used in Cannon and not as an Egyptian God. Therfore I will be changing (Tzeentch pun) the name to Scopions of Hedetet.

Hededet or Hedjedjet (ḥdd.t) is a scorpion goddess of the ancient Egyptian religion. She resembles Serket in many ways, but was in later periods merged into Isis. She was depicted with the head of a scorpion, nursing a baby. She is mentioned in the Book of the Dead.

Well buying two models to make one is a rather expensive way to build an army. But thankfully the bigger boxes give quite a bit of Bitz. I dont think every piece is going to have Tomb Kings incorperated into it. The more important ones, Aspiring Champions/Sorcerors, Terminators and higher most likely. I will be trying hard to keep the army theme throughout though. So Squads will likely have some Hiroglyphs on them or somthing. Im not 100% sure yet.

I will take some pics of the tail tonight and load them up. But honestly, I didnt do much, I just filed the scorp tail down to a flat end and made a flat section on the end of the Defiler Chasis. I glued them together and once the glue had set up, I added the green suff and tried to make it look natural. When I paint it I am going to have to make it look like Metal changing into flesh somehow. Probably going from a dark grey/black into a metal color like aluminum and then into the color of the tail, which is going to be a dark orange.

That's quite cool! :( You've amanged to integrate the parts from the two different models quite well; my initial impression was that the clunkiness of the Defiler wouldn't match with the refined look of the sphinx, but with a bit of sculpting you've pulled it off. Well done! :)

I believe I have seen a company that has Egyptian themed heads that other Tzeentch players have used occasionally. I can't for the life of me find them, though. Maybe someone else reading this would remember where they're from...

Might be chapter house studios at least one set and some cool shoulder pads not sure if these are the ones your thinking of.

Archived