Alpha Legion

Excessus

I see posts about the Word Bearers and Night Lords everywhere, and the Iron Warriors hang around a lot as well. Those seems to be the most popular undivided legions by far, unlike my little Alpha Legionnaires.

...or is it just that they are good at stealthing! :tu:

Well, there isn't a great way to represent them- basically they lack distiction. Heck, they disguise themselves actively as other chapters. Anyone else want to paint their CSMs as ultramarines? :tu:

As far as the tabletop goes, the only thing in the book that comes close to using the underhanded tactics of the Alpha Legion are chosen, which I find to be rather 'meh.'

Alphas are my second favorite legionaries behind the men in midnight clad.

I have read much on AL. But their ubiquitous ambivalence is unique, and I love the infiltration/coordination thing. To play them, you should better use some Chosen. This unit fits them most.

Btw, don't be fooled. Sabotage, Spies and corruption is not their goal, it's not their way to fight. This is how they prepare battles.

I'd be glad to repaint my few Night Lord painted in green/blue/silver. This is much simplier than the several layers I actually do. Moreover simply looking at fluffy army lists, chosens are more playable than Raptors. They are more also tolerant to Daemons, that means a Daemon Prince is more likely (even if they operate far from Warp heavy zones).

Any one thank about 2 chosen unit : 4 plasmas + AC + Rhino infiltrating/outflanking ? Although expensive, couldn't that help

Is there some good AL novel ?

The Legionnaires in Hunt for Voldorius were mustache-twirling cartoon villains, not true sneaky look-behind-you! Alphas. That book was so much garbage. . . . but I digress.

Yes, Excessus, as Ageis said, we're around. You just have to delve beneath the layers of camouflage and subterfuge we wear like cloaks in order to find us. Not all of us openly proclaim our allegiance. . . . the Primarchs taught us differently from that, you know!

That's an awesome scene you've pictured there.

Do you mind me asking what your colours were for your Alpha Legion?

Do you have any regrets doing them, especially with the lack of rules?

I'd love to see another picture of your Alpha.

I haven't actually read Hunt for Voldorius... I had no idea Alpha Legion were in it!?

Trust me, you don't want to read it. Worst BL book, far, far worse than Battle of the Abyss. For example: It has Khorssaro Khan in it right, White Scars Hunt Master. Who rides a ancient, uber-powerful bike. Well, guess what he consistently does before charging into the enemy? WRONG! He gets OFF his bike, draws his sword, then charges into the enemy. WHY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY DO YOU GET OFF YOUR BIKE WHEN YOUR A CHARGING WHITE SCAR?

Okay, mini-rant over, there are actually worse things in the book, but none so glaring as that. It is terrible.

Prot

It ain't my AL, i don't collect them. But they belong to one person living in Moscow, i know him a little.

The rest of it in PM :D

Yes, Alpha is in this novell, Voldorius is their Daemon Prince. I agree, this book ain't very good, but Alpha can be different :D

There is a 30% chance that any power-armoured army you are facing is actually the Alpha Legion in disguise. True fact. B)

I love the Alpha Legion. They can't really be defined by a Chaos army list in the current environment, with Chosen being the exception. Even though I play Iron Warriors, I am painting my Chosen as Alpha Legion.

Any one thank about 2 chosen unit : 4 plasmas + AC + Rhino infiltrating/outflanking ?

I have a squad like this. If infiltrating: 4 Plasma Guns + AC. If outflanking: I leave the AC at home and give them a Rhino. It's sad that Heavy Weapons on infantry isn't efficient for Chaos Space Marines, because that Autocannon has killed so many speeders, Rhinos, and even a Defiler. Even 5 Chosen with just and AC and IoCG might be worth infiltrating into cover near an objective. They could do some damage before dying.

Concerning Alpha Legion stories...

The Face of Treachery from Age of Darkness is classic AL. Not the best story, but the ending is great.

<-- might be Alpharius... you never know. ;)

I alwyas liked the old fluff about the Alpha Legion, being the 20th chapter and therefore the youngest firts founding chapter they were insecure in their youth and strove to fight with such prowess and confidence in their might as astartes that they would often make things more tactically difficult for themselves, just to make the fight better. The use of cults was merely to gain daemonic support, rather than a tactical advantage. Now that is what made me collect them, I don't quite know where the sneaky sneaky aspect came from.

There is a 30% chance that any power-armoured army you are facing is actually the Alpha Legion in disguise. True fact. ;)

<_< love it.

the book on AL that is GOOD is of course legion. but there is also two short storys in age of darkness. the first is about and oprative and the second....well that one will sneak up on you :o

There is a 30% chance that any power-armoured army you are facing is actually the Alpha Legion in disguise. True fact. ;)

<_< love it.

the book on AL that is GOOD is of course legion. but there is also two short storys in age of darkness. the first is about and oprative and the second....well that one will sneak up on you :o

No, no, that's merely conjecture. Here's how the qoute should go...

There is a 30% chance that any power-armoured army you are facing is actually the Alpha Legion in disguise. True fact. ;) The other 70% just think their Alpha Legion in disguise.

No! It's also wrong <_< The right variant is:

There's always a 99% chance that army you're facing is actually the Alpha Legion in disguise. And there's the same chance that you're army is also an Alpha Legion in disguise. True fact. :o

I alwyas liked the old fluff about the Alpha Legion, being the 20th chapter and therefore the youngest firts founding chapter they were insecure in their youth and strove to fight with such prowess and confidence in their might as astartes that they would often make things more tactically difficult for themselves, just to make the fight better. The use of cults was merely to gain daemonic support, rather than a tactical advantage. Now that is what made me collect them, I don't quite know where the sneaky sneaky aspect came from.

It was about more than making the fight better. They were trying to prove a point. They were the youngest legion, but strove to be the best by making their foes seem almost powerless to stop them. The other Primarchs didn't really get it, except for Horus.

And the sneakiness has always been there, it was just more subtle than it is now.

If you don't mind my making a serious post here...

The only person who knew what Alpharius looked like was Horus. Apparently he didn't even meet the Emperor before the Heresy began, or so the IA said.

Rouboute Guilliman was the one who "slew" Alpharius during some battle- the only source on this being Guilliman himself, who was also the only survivor of said expedition. He also didn't bring Alpharius' severed head out with him for some reason, he merely said "Oh, I killed him." Right, I'm expected to believe that crock of bull?

So here's me theory: Alpharius either got access to a lot of Polymorphine (or an analogue), or had a top-notch plastic surgeon do him up to be Guilliman's twin. Probably the latter. He lures Guilliman into a carefully-engineered fight ALA the Iron Cage, only he shanks him with a poisoned blade instead of publicly humiliating him the way Perturabo did to Rogal Dorn. Alpharius then changes into Guilliman's armor, and then chops up Guilliman's body and stuffs it down a garbage disposal. Alpharius then takes a deep breath, puts on his Guilliman voice, and then goes outside to the waiting Ultras.

Only thing is, he forgot to clue Fulgrim in and got whacked. Maybe. It was probably his body double.

Rouboute Guilliman was the one who "slew" Alpharius during some battle- the only source on this being Guilliman himself, who was also the only survivor of said expedition. He also didn't bring Alpharius' severed head out with him for some reason, he merely said "Oh, I killed him." Right, I'm expected to believe that crock of bull?

Guilliman didn't mention a fight against Alpharius. The only known account is an alleged found report by an Ultramarine who participated in the battle for eskrador. In that account, it is described how Alpharius cut his way through several Ultramarines before facing off against Guilliman. After Alpharius was killed, the Ultramarines routed the rest of the Alpha Legion force in that location and afterwards took the time to construct a pyre and burned Alpharius' body.

There has been doubt from different sources as to the accuracy of that account of the Battle on Eskrador, even from representatives of the Ultramarines. So it is in question whether that entire battle happened at all. However, if the battle happened, then Alpharius is stone dead, no ifs and/or buts about it. The "Alpharius" in the account could not be stopped by regular Ultramarines, Guilliman had met his brother before, having had long debates with him, and the Ultramarines took the time to obtain the body and burn it, so they would have been able to positively identify him. Not to mention that at the time of the Index Astartes article, the concept of Alpharius having others maskerade as him did not exist, so when the Author of that story wrote "Alpharius was killed" he fully intended for that to mean that Alpharius got killed.

If the account is accurate, and the Battle for Eskrador happened, then Alpharius is dead. But maybe that battle did not happen, or at least not as described in that account. I myself am rooting for the latter possibility.

Alpharius is stone dead, no ifs and/or buts about it

when it comes to the alpha legion there are always ifs and/or buts <_<

I'm trying to resist not getting into the same old song and dance and going OT but ah well.

1) the events on eskador have never been proven, they were brought to light by and inquisitor who was found out to be working for the alpha legion. the ultra marines themselves admit to having no record of this event.

2) IF it did happen given how often alpharius was actually "bob the terminator sgt" the arument that rowboat girlyman knew it was alpharius just does not hold any weight. Horus may have been able to work it out but only because of there first meeting on horus's ship.

3) there are many marines in the heresy that where said to be able to best many opponents i.e lucius, abadabadabadon, sigmusind, Khârn etc. so its entierly possible that we had a guy just as awsome. its equally plausable by that stage that we were using the warp to enhance marines also.

4) alpharius was THE best tactitian in the crusade, the chances that he got caught out? pretty slim.

5) and even if it all happened how it reads.........we have a spare so all is good :mellow:

1) the events on eskador have never been proven, they were brought to light by and inquisitor who was found out to be working for the alpha legion. the ultra marines themselves admit to having no record of this event.

The inquisitor was accused of working for the Alpha Legion. Ironically because he kept insisting that the Alpha Legion was still very much active and should be payed more attention to.

2) IF it did happen given how often alpharius was actually "bob the terminator sgt" the arument that rowboat girlyman knew it was alpharius just does not hold any weight. Horus may have been able to work it out but only because of there first meeting on horus's ship.

Guilliman had met with Alpharius and has had lengthy debates about combat doctrine and conduct with him. I doubt that legionnaire stand ins would be able to have such debates with other Primarchs in Alpharius' stead. Plus, as I said, when that Index Astartes had been written, the concept of Alpharius having other legionnaires pose as him did not exist. So whenever the author wrote "Alpharius did X" and "Alpharius was there" then he meant for that to be Alpharius, and not "someone that appeared to be Alpharius".

4) alpharius was THE best tactitian in the crusade, the chances that he got caught out? pretty slim.

Arguable. Different Primarchs had different specialities in terms of tactics. Alpharius' tactics were very good at accomplishing a lot with little man power, and they were good at harrassing the opponent with minimised own risk. They were not so good to make progress, or in reaction to new events as they requuired an imense preparation in advance. Give Alpharius a few months to prepare and he can plant his operatives and scout out and trap every corner of the battlefield. Throw him into a surprise fight and he can use none of those tricks he is famous for.

Guilliman didn't mention a fight against Alpharius. The only known account is an alleged found report by an Ultramarine who participated in the battle for eskrador. In that account, it is described how Alpharius cut his way through several Ultramarines before facing off against Guilliman. After Alpharius was killed, the Ultramarines routed the rest of the Alpha Legion force in that location and afterwards took the time to construct a pyre and burned Alpharius' body.

There has been doubt from different sources as to the accuracy of that account of the Battle on Eskrador, even from representatives of the Ultramarines. So it is in question whether that entire battle happened at all. However, if the battle happened, then Alpharius is stone dead, no ifs and/or buts about it. The "Alpharius" in the account could not be stopped by regular Ultramarines, Guilliman had met his brother before, having had long debates with him, and the Ultramarines took the time to obtain the body and burn it, so they would have been able to positively identify him. Not to mention that at the time of the Index Astartes article, the concept of Alpharius having others maskerade as him did not exist, so when the Author of that story wrote "Alpharius was killed" he fully intended for that to mean that Alpharius got killed.

If the account is accurate, and the Battle for Eskrador happened, then Alpharius is dead. But maybe that battle did not happen, or at least not as described in that account. I myself am rooting for the latter possibility.

Alpharius is also "one soul in two bodies" as it happens, so while one body may die, the other might live <_< Also, Alpharius is known to be the smallest of the Primarchs (a head shorter than his brothers, as seen in the extract from Aurelian in H&B 10) so it is possible that one of his sons was impersonating him. Or, the battle never happened at all. Who knows?

Guilliman had met with Alpharius and has had lengthy debates about combat doctrine and conduct with him. I doubt that legionnaire stand ins would be able to have such debates with other Primarchs in Alpharius' stead. Plus, as I said, when that Index Astartes had been written, the concept of Alpharius having other legionnaires pose as him did not exist. So whenever the author wrote "Alpharius did X" and "Alpharius was there" then he meant for that to be Alpharius, and not "someone that appeared to be Alpharius".

but since legion we know that this is what happened. the old author may have said "alpharius did x while he was at y" but thanks to newer fluff we now know that x = x,q or z.

but since legion we know that this is what happened. the old author may have said "alpharius did x while he was at y" but thanks to newer fluff we now know that x = x,q or z.

Huzzah for retcons! I personally prefer Legatus' pure reading of the fluff, but the retcon idea isn't invalid by any stretch- GW does it all the time.

Archived