Army Painter Red Spray Paint

gogmagog

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry for this threadnomancy, I just didn't want to start a new topic for the same question again.

So you say Pure Red is closest to Blood Red, but how do the spray primers from AP work? Are they a substitute for a primer when it comes to opacity?

And while we are at it, are they used similarly to GW sprays when it comes to spraying distance, is it better to spray in short blows or rather continuous fire all the way?

Well, I guess that's it. A bunch of questions for sure, but I hope you guys can answer them for me. :)

Snorri

I'm sorry for this threadnomancy, I just didn't want to start a new topic for the same question again.

So you say Pure Red is closest to Blood Red, but how do the spray primers from AP work? Are they a substitute for a primer when it comes to opacity?

And while we are at it, are they used similarly to GW sprays when it comes to spraying distance, is it better to spray in short blows or rather continuous fire all the way?

Well, I guess that's it. A bunch of questions for sure, but I hope you guys can answer them for me. :lol:

Snorri

Yo Snorri, I have Limited experience with the stuff but have tried it out. I used dragon red, which was pretty close to mechrite. In answer to primer question... YES! It's an actual primer. Not paint in a spray can, a proper primer, so it's a bit thicker than GW sprays.

Distance, you need to be a bit closer, i don;t know why but the can recommends about 20cm distance, but you do the same short bursts across the model. I did a baal pred and a tactical marine to try it out and its pretty nice stuff. I did them over a black base though so I am not all that familiar with them on bare plastic.

However, Jawaballs is!

I have just tried to find the vid of him spraying a tank on youtube but cant put my finger on it. Take a gander, it's out there somewhere!

Yo Snorri, I have Limited experience with the stuff but have tried it out. I used dragon red, which was pretty close to mechrite. In answer to primer question... YES! It's an actual primer. Not paint in a spray can, a proper primer, so it's a bit thicker than GW sprays.

Distance, you need to be a bit closer, i don;t know why but the can recommends about 20cm distance, but you do the same short bursts across the model. I did a baal pred and a tactical marine to try it out and its pretty nice stuff. I did them over a black base though so I am not all that familiar with them on bare plastic.

However, Jawaballs is!

I have just tried to find the vid of him spraying a tank on youtube but cant put my finger on it. Take a gander, it's out there somewhere!

Ah that's cool thanks! I've been really unsatisfied with my brushwork on large, flat surfaces(Stormraven and other vehicles) so I'd thought to finish my tanks in a proper timeframe I should give those sprays a shot.

Going to use this stuff on my second Baal as well, and probably all of my new miniatures in the future.

The Army Painter has their own website which has some tutorials etc on it.

http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=2

Thanks, those vids are really helpful!

Snorri

Archived