Robes?

Evening all,

I've always liked the look of the Dark Angels and have never properly done a space marine army so I thought of doing a small 750 point army to play with. The main thing I want to know is are the robes status symbols or are they like just becuase. I dont own a DA codex and just wanted to know before I spend my monies. :D

Many thanks

CVD-

Evening all,

I've always liked the look of the Dark Angels and have never properly done a space marine army so I thought of doing a small 750 point army to play with. The main thing I want to know is are the robes status symbols or are they like just becuase. I dont own a DA codex and just wanted to know before I spend my monies. :D

Many thanks

CVD-

Welcome to the Rock Cmdr,

Any and All DA can wear robes, there are no hard and fast restrictions.

Many of us do however use robed models to help differenciate ICs, Sgts and Vets from the rest.

You can feel free to have an entire robed force if you like the look.

S

To me, the robes mean that the battle brother has a little more knowledge of our dark secret than the rest of the the chapter, so I use them exclusively on veterans and sergeants. However, you can use the robes for whoever you want, one of our successors does and they look very cool when done properly.

I guess you can say it is a status symbol... The Codex mentions that (if I recall correctly - don't have it with me now) that they are usually worn by veterans, sergeants and such. Which implies that, in the end of the day, every one is eligible. But as Stobz said above the inclination is to give robes to denote some sort of non-descript status...

Myself I use three robed figures in each 10-strong squad. One of the is always the sergeant (all Veterans in a DA army anyway) and as for the rest, I guess one is the "leader" of the demi-squad (I remember in the old days he was denoted by another back-banner no less) and the third is someone to keep an eye on the other two :HQ:.

I'd say it depends on your outlook and what time setting you're going for.

I'm currently putting together a Heresy-era army, so the majority, if not all, of the marines will be robed in form or another. Some fully, others with a singlet and cloak I think.

There are nod's to them only being worn by veterans, memebrs ofthe Inner Circle or by any and all battle brothers on some occassions.

You need to ask yourself two things:

1. Can I paint the robes fairly decently?

2. Do I want to have lots of robed or lots of non-robed marines?

At the end of the day, it's YOUR army and no-one can tell YOU that YOU are right or wrong. It really is whatever you think is best.

As an aside, for my contemporary 40k era army, I have fewer robed giys in there, but tha's mainly due to the army being built before they came out in plastic :)

Hope that helps ;)

Oh and welcome to the Dark side!!

Archived