Relic blade definition

I was thinking about this when I was modeling my Captain with a thunder hammer. I read that relic blades are axes or swords, but I was curious to see why it couldn't be a hammer as well? I ask because I modeled my thunder hammer with golden wings and a beak to look as an eagle hammer (or you fable 3 players will know the hammer I picture). I was wondering what would be the rules set for this, could I run it as a relic blade legally, just a thunder hammer bit, or would I have to stand by the rules in the codex saying it only applying to axes and blades?

I am pretty sure what the majority will say, I just wanted to get clarification on perhaps someone who has ran a similar question.

I understand the house rules exception, but what about tournament wise? Would this be viable exception? or held as WYSIWYG?

It would follow WYSIWYG and tournaments because its a weapon. You can use a Sword to make the Chaplain power weapon. And I have seen Axes for the Thunder Hammers. Really from what I have seen. If its a CCW it can be anything that hits in CCW other than a fist weapon like Powerfist, Lightening Claws, and Chainfists.

Is it the only hammer model you have, or easily distinguishable from other guys carrying thunder hammers? If so, it shouldn't be a problem.

(Emphasis mine.) That's the crux of it, right there. I'd make the relic weapon/hammer two handed, gold, with a lot of decorations so it really, really pops. Then it might fly.

Trouble is, hammer weapons are virtually all Thunder Hammers. I'd make it almost anything else, personally...spear, lance, halberd, polearm of some kind...anything other than a hammer...as it avoids all possible confusion. <3

Is it the only hammer model you have, or easily distinguishable from other guys carrying thunder hammers? If so, it shouldn't be a problem.

(Emphasis mine.) That's the crux of it, right there. I'd make the relic weapon/hammer two handed, gold, with a lot of decorations so it really, really pops. Then it might fly.

Trouble is, hammer weapons are virtually all Thunder Hammers. I'd make it almost anything else, personally...spear, lance, halberd, polearm of some kind...anything other than a hammer...as it avoids all possible confusion. <3

@JamesI - Other than my old terminator sgt with a thunder hammer (he never sees the light of day) it is, and like I mentioned it has wings and a beak on it. So I figured since it depicts something different than a hammer unless I want it to be, that I could use it as a relic blade outside of house rules, but I guess it still would fall under contacting the TO of the event I am going to and get permission to run it and perhaps print two lists in case it is declined.

@Thade - That's the thing, I don't want it to be a blade, axe, or spear style, but I guess for personal preference it will have to do.

I have one PA captain built with a bionic arm holding a hammer. For a while I used it as a relic blade (apparently the bionic arm was very fast, but not all that strong). That was, sadly, during a period of my life when I had no other models with hammers. Since then I have added hammers in all kinds of fun places, so I opted to build a new captain with a big sword. Now the hammer captain just stands on my shelf, probably thinking, "Well I had my hammer before they were cool."

@JamesI - Other than my old terminator sgt with a thunder hammer (he never sees the light of day) it is, and like I mentioned it has wings and a beak on it. So I figured since it depicts something different than a hammer unless I want it to be, that I could use it as a relic blade outside of house rules, but I guess it still would fall under contacting the TO of the event I am going to and get permission to run it and perhaps print two lists in case it is declined.

@Thade - That's the thing, I don't want it to be a blade, axe, or spear style, but I guess for personal preference it will have to do.

From what you describe it, it would to seem a pickhammer to me which does look alot different from a hammer.

Click the link and it will load my FB album and the model I am refering to is all the way at the bottom and to the right.

Picture's not very clear, but from what I can make out...long handled, has a decorated head with a beak/pick on it? Kind of reminiscent of a lucerne hammer.

And, I agree with JamesI.

when combined with the counts as rule, WYSIWYG simply means any upgrade must be represented and easily distinguishable. As always ask your tournament coordinator, in general so long as the enemy is properly informed beforehand, and the model is apropriatly distinctive so as not to be confused with a diferent upgrade, then wysiwyg will be satisfied.

Archived