Space Marine Shotguns

-JK-

I've always thought that the Space Marine shotguns looked a bit lacklustre when compared to the rest of the Imperial armoury, so I decided to make a new one with more... 'heft'.

It's a kitbash of a scout shotgun, an Imperial grenade launcher, a lasgun and a SM flamer.

Just looking to find out what people think, so all comments are welcome.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Works%20in%20Progress/AutoShotgunscaled.jpg

That actually looks really good - was it easy enough to put together?

Yeah dead easy:

> Cut the hands off a scout shotgun.

> Trim off and file flat the grip and trigger.

> Stick the grenade launcher drum in its place (cut a small notch in the top of the drum so it slots on nicely).

> Cut the back end of the shotgun to be flush with the back end of the drum.

> Stick on the back of a flamer (cut off the flamer just in front of the trigger).

> Remove the twin shotgun barrels and replace with lasgun muzzle.

> Done.

Quick mock-up marine to show scale:

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Works%20in%20Progress/DSCN1583.jpg

What the hell does that thing fire? Small grenades? Pineapples? Plasma cores? Whatever it is that looks like one big boomstick.
Given that size, I wouldn't be too surprised if it used juvenile woodchucks.

Looks like a good piece, sillyness aside.

I like that design a lot. A magazine adds the idea that they come loaded with enough ammo to do the job. It reminds me of an AK family shotgun (Saiga) variant that fires shotgun shells.

The only problem I have is the muzzle. In 40k, different weapons types have a very specific look to them. That particular design as it pertains to 40k is THE Lasgun, IMO. That downward angle on the tip is carried on all las weapons in the game.

Only thing I would do really is chop the muzzle off and drill the barrel in, leaving it stubby like the regular shotgun, or if you still prefer a muzzle, perhaps take a look online at various shotgun muzzles and scratchbuild one from plastic rod or even round sprue.

Overall....I like it a lot. Consider the idea stolen for my chapter.

The only problem I have is the muzzle. In 40k, different weapons types have a very specific look to them. That particular design as it pertains to 40k is THE Lasgun, IMO. That downward angle on the tip is carried on all las weapons in the game.

Only thing I would do really is chop the muzzle off and drill the barrel in, leaving it stubby like the regular shotgun, or if you still prefer a muzzle, perhaps take a look online at various shotgun muzzles and scratchbuild one from plastic rod or even round sprue.

I must admit, the same thought crossed my mind. I went with it in the end because I was partially basing its appearance on the Jackhammer combat shotgun:

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Misc/Jackhammer-shotgun.jpg

Still, now that you've said it as well... It's pressing on my mind! I'll think about maybe just cutting the las muzzle flat, so that I don't have to completely re-model a new muzzle! Thanks for the input :angry:

Jackhammers are too sexy for their own good - a shotgun that can use its magazine as an Anti-personel mine, the joys!

As for the shotgun conversion, excellent stuff, it looks great!

The barrel looks way too high. Otherwise, I quite like it.

It isn't that the barrel is too high, it is that the trigger section is too low. The top slope of the trigger section should be the same height as the top slope of the magazine section. At the moment there is three drops (rail/barrel slope, magazine section slope, trigger section slope), when there should only be two (rail/barrel slope. trigger section slope).

I like that design a lot. A magazine adds the idea that they come loaded with enough ammo to do the job. It reminds me of an AK family shotgun (Saiga) variant that fires shotgun shells.

Overall....I like it a lot. Consider the idea stolen for my chapter.

I agree with this entire post. The gun itself looks great, The barrel/muzzle looks like a lasgun. I'd remove it and add a large bore piece of tubing and call it a masterpiece. The drum mag is especially nice. sep up the excellent work.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and recommendations! I think I've finally nailed the muzzle issue! Take a look below. I also tweaked the trigger section slightly to make it ever so slightly more in alignment with the rest of the weapon as it was the tiniest bit wonky. I will update this thread when I get around to arming one very dangerous marine with it!

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Works%20in%20Progress/DSCN1589.jpg

Archived