What's the point in drop-pods?

CuddlesHeretics

I've been playing 12 years (give or take) and I remember when they were only available on forge world, and were expensive, now they're available through games workshop, but aside from letting people deep strike, I don't understand what the uses for them are?

(I've also been away from 40k for a while, I left just after apocalypse...)

It allows troops, dreads, and thunderfire cannons to come in where you want (if you don't scatter off the table) and unleash the Emperor's fury. More of a tactical insertion and alpha striking if you can pull it off to annihilate opponents. You can also despense in waves if you have an all drop pod army. OR you can just use them as short range artillery with the deathwind missles or a added few rounds from a storm bolter attachment. It also can be deployed with locator beacon to help your other reserves not scatter on inbound turn.

It allows troops, dreads, and thunderfire cannons to come in where you want (if you don't scatter off the table) and unleash the Emperor's fury. More of a tactical insertion and alpha striking if you can pull it off to annihilate opponents. You can also despense in waves if you have an all drop pod army. OR you can just use them as short range artillery with the deathwind missles or a added few rounds from a storm bolter attachment. It also can be deployed with locator beacon to help your other reserves not scatter on inbound turn.

Thanks man, they worth buying, or should I just stick with my rhinos?

Also, terminators, assault marines and dreadnoughts don't need drop-pods to deep strike do they?

Terminators have the ability teleport, allowing deep strike. Models with Jump Packs can drop in from low flying thunderhawk, also allowing deepstrike. Dreadnaughts cant fly (normally) or teleport so require a drop pod to deep strike.

Claws

Thanks man, they worth buying, or should I just stick with my rhinos?

Also, terminators, assault marines and dreadnoughts don't need drop-pods to deep strike do they?

As mentioned above, the dreads will need a drop pod to come in or walk them on. I use a mix between mobile and drop pod insertion. It just depends on your style and flavor of play you want to run with. My drop pods are bring in my elites that usually go in behind the enemy or on the flanks and cause enough havok to allow my main force to arrive in style of rhinos and razorbacks.

For me personally, in most situations, they are not worth it compared to a rhino, unless you wish to get a dreadnought into your opponents backfield quickly.

I hope that at some point (fingers crossed for 6th) they fix the deep strike rules so that deep striking (even if only via drop pod) counts only as having moved and the DP'd unit may carry out actions normally thereafter.

This would really open things up for viable DP lists :HQ:

I hope that at some point they fix the deep strike rules so that deep striking (even if only via drop pod) counts only as having moved and may carry out actions normally thereafter.

This would really open things up for viable DP lists :)

It would basically make everybody Super Vanguard...not only would you be able to assault immediately after DSing, but you could shoot before and your scatter would be basically immune to mishaps. The risk is nil, the benefit is huge. It's broken. <3 We do not want this.

Drop Pods open up a different play style entirely as they change your deployment strategies...opening up new ones and closing off others. Half of your pods (rounded up) drop on in your first turn (after both players have deployed non-reserve units) due to the Drop Pod Assault rule. What does this let us do?

Well, if you win your roll-off and choose to go first, your advantage is that you go first; the balance is that your opponent sees where you deploy and can deploy to counter it. With Drop Pods, you can now both go first and deploy a unit or two to counter your opponent's deployment. Consider a force with three drop pods in it...two with Dreads and one with a tactical squad. The two dreads come in after your opponent has deployed, so you can put them where they will either bolster your force or behind his lines to pincer him/divert his fire from your main lines. Later on the tac squad will come in on a normal Reserve roll and can either bolster your forces somewhere or drop on your back field objective.

Drop Pods are a cool way to do your reserves as it gives you more control over which of your reserves come in when. The draw back is that once they've landed, they're on foot...so unless you have transports to whiz around and shuttle them places, you'll want to know where you want them when you deploy them. :P

And what happens if they land on say... a 'gaunt..?

^_^

In game terms, nothing. <3 You can't (sadly) crush anything with a Drop Pod. The Guidance system will steer it clear of landing on units (be they yours or your opponent's) and any impassable terrain by shifting its landing the minimum distance necessary to not hit it and be 1" away from enemy models. It will gleefully crash into dangerous or difficult terrain (where it may Immobilize itself...as it's already Immobilized upon impact, this will destroy it's storm bolter) or off of the table (which is one of the few ways a DP can mishap).

Don't bet on it. In many cases the rules forgo what makes thematic sense (or what seems to make sense) in favor of better-balancing the game. If a Drop Pod destroyed things it landed on it would be AWESOME. Too awesome. It'd either cost too much, be restricted in number, or be banned in tournaments. None of those things are fluffy in that Space Marines always use Drop Pods. <_<

I'll tell you what the point is. The point is hardcore.

What's more hardcore that zooming into battle in a metal bawks? Being fired like a bullet from a ship in orbit and screaming to the surface of the planet.

The only thing more hardcore than that would be if they just straight fired the Rhino out of a gun and directly onto the battle field.

Actually, the Angry Marine drop pod is a Rhino that did just that. Just model it so the front of the rhino is sticking up out of the crater where it dug into the dirt and it'll have roughtly the same footprint as a Drop Pod.

I think in the novel "Warrior Brood" drop pods landed in the middle of a tyranid swarm. I think they were the unmanned

missle varients. But I can't see why they can't land on something sqishy..

Perhaps they don't want to land on it? Think of it this way: this is 40k. You never know if that little thing you're going to land on has some annoying invulnerable save that will blow you up as you land on it...or if it's Death Or Glory will blow you up as you land on it, making him look way more awesome than you. You don't want to risk your most-awesome thing (Drop Pods) looking super not-awesome, and the Machine Spirits agree: they steer clear of landing on unknowns.

Drop Pods are made to safely and quickly deploy Marines where they need to be, not to be giant bullets. If they need to kill something the Marines can do it when they get out or the can use an orbital bombardment ahead of time.

Drop Pods don't slam into the ground anyways (that would kill the passengers), so they COULDN'T squish anything. Drop Pods rapidly decelerate as they near the ground.

Realistically, everything within 3" of a landing Drop Pod should suffer a Flamestorm Cannon attack from the huge burst of jet flames that billow out under the landing Pod, but no squish.

Drop Pods are great because they're Deep Striking that can't go wrong.

Drop Pods are awesome for Sternguard. Land, exit the Pod, and unleash a storm of bullets. A LOT of stuff in the surrounding area should suddenly find itself very dead.

Realistically, everything within 3" of a landing Drop Pod should suffer a Flamestorm Cannon attack from the huge burst of jet flames that billow out under the landing Pod, but no squish.

S6, AP3? Nah...I'd guess it was more like S3 AP-. Let's face it...it's a small-scale propulsion system. It's not squirting burning hot Promethium everywhere. ;)

So what weapons options are available for drop-pods?

In the core books they can take a Deathwind Missile Launcher...which isn't much to write home about. They come with storm bolters that are mounted within and can fire after deployment. Drop Pods aren't about the weapons, really: they're about delivering your marines, which have weapons of their own.

And can grey knights use them..?

No, they cannot. GK are all about teleporting, so they just psychic-poof themselves to the field. This does mean that the only delivery systems you have for Dreads are Storm Ravens (and, of course, foot-slogging them).

Archived