Ave Dominus Nox

So while I was away the other week I picked up Soul Hunter by A D-B and thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I downloaded Throne of Lies and ordered Blood Reaver. Anyway, I'm digressing slightly... I enjoyed Soul Hunter so much that I wanted to have another shot at painting a Night Lord. One of the things that inspired and appealed to me in the book was the state that the remains of the VIII legion are in compared to other traitor legions. In particular they scavenge and loot a lot of their wargear, even going as far strip the bodies of their enemies and former bretheren of their arms and armour upon the battlefield. This, for me anyway, removed a lot of restrictions from the 'modelling' of this miniature as I don't have much in the way of Chaos Marine bits knocking about. So with this in mind I selected bits that in my opinion reflect as many of the ( some newly revealed) aspects of the Night Lords as possible:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/NightLord1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/NightLord2.jpg

Many of you will probably wonder why he's wearing purity seals, well he's either wearing them for the irony amd insult or, and this is my preferred explanation, they are oathes of moment. I think the blue might be slightly too bright just now but I'm thinking that once everything's highlighted up some controlled glazing on the armour will darken it nicely and leave him in midnight clad. All of the other colours are still being blocked in just now although the blue armour has had a comple of layers now.

Any thoughts, comments or criticism is as always greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks

James

I understand the newer NL's fluff has them scavenging wargear, but I still feel he's not recognizably from the Chaos spectrum of things. It's mainly lacking the grim and gritty ornamentations that are hallmarks within the XIII Legion. The blue armor looks far too bright, and ATM he's easily mistaken for an Ultramarines Chaplain with all those purity seals. I like your justifications, so maybe there's a way of conveying it to the viewer? Maybe if you could pull off a flesh tone for the parchment?

There's still tons of work till the finished product though, so I look forward to seeing how you pull this one out. You're a Loyalist at heart Pig, just face it! ;)

I think you're off to a great start - unfortunately, I do think Darth Potato is right that this needs something more to mark him out as a traitor marine.

Some (relatively) easy changes:

* Add a chaos back pack - at worst, this will make the armor look more dated or cobbled together.

*Nightlords Iconography - add the winged skull on one pauldron, and the stylized lightning. I imagine this is coming anyway. You might also think of some way to mark him as a member of a Claw on the other pauldron.

*Battle damage - one other relatively easy tie-in to the Soul Hunter series is that most members of the warband are not gentle with their armor, so some weathering to show the effects of their tenuous plight could make a lot of sense.

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing the completed model - enjoy the reading as well!

*Nightlords Iconography - add the winged skull on one pauldron, and the stylized lightning. I imagine this is coming anyway. You might also think of some way to mark him as a member of a Claw on the other pauldron.

These two are probably the best ideas of all, use a winged skull decal and paint some lightning bolts on him. The Night Lords give out lightning bolt honor marks like halloween candy anyway.

Looking really good and sinister so far :devil:

As mentioned by others, some lightning would really bring the model to life. I know the mini isn't finished yet and i'm sure it will be excellent judging by your other pieces.

Thanks for all your comments:

@ darth_giles: nope, no batwinged helms will be used in the painting of this miniature :P

@ kizzdougs: thanks mate. Lightning is on the cards for this guy although I need to finish up his armour first. I'm gonna use if fairly sparingly though as I think the mini is fairly 'busy' as it is if that makes any sense.

@ Sgt. Blank: Thank you for your ideas. The back pack is actually a Chaos one although I did cut out the 'wings' as I don't really like the look of them. THe iconography is coming (his right pauldron has a skull moulded on it so I'm going to try freehanding in the crimson wings on either side of it) as is lightning. As for battle damage, I might give this a try but it's not one of my strong points...

@ Darth Potato: His oathes of moment will be writ on the flesh of his victims once I've finished painting them :) You're right though I am a loyalist at heart but I think there's a certain something about the VIII legion that appeals to me. Sure I've dabbled with painting Traitor Astartes before but the element of faded glory, of grand ideals shattered and of being reduced to almost nothing with little chance of return but continuing regardless has really struck a chord with me :D

cheers

James

Just a quick suggestion for the dark blue armour:

1) Regal Blue basecoat

2) thin Badab Black wash

3) Enchanted Blue highlight

4) same as 2)

5) Ice Blue edge highlight

6) Asurmen Blue, then thin Badab Black wash

Works quite well and gives a nice dark blue. Don't go crazy with the washes though, as it gets a bit too dark and shabby afterwards.

As for what the others have said, I agree that a bit more Chaos-y bits would look better :D

Hope it helps somewhat :P

Ludovic

Many of you will probably wonder why he's wearing purity seals, well he's either wearing them for the irony amd insult or, and this is my preferred explanation, they are oathes of moment.

So I got to re-reading your post, and it reminded me of the old Impurity Seals that the Word Bearers used. I think they were used to hold religious tracts in place, because the ones I remember seeing had lots of tiny writing on them and were painted to look like flayed skin. Either way, they don't look too out of place.

Im thinking once the lightning has been painted on and the other details are finished this will work a lot better. Looks great so far though and from seeing your previous work I know we wont be disappointed with the outcome.

*edit*

I notice you are in Aviemore. Im sure things are going to be rather loud this weekend with the ol Thunder in the Glens. Im heading up tomorrow. :P

Again, thankyou for your comments:

@ Battle Brother Ludovic: Hi mate, thanks for the recipe. I've taken a couple of steps for it for this mini to tone down the blue armour slightly I've given it a watered down wash of Badab Black after highlighting it and glazing it with Asurmen Blue. As for the Chaosy-ness of the mini, I'm going with my interpretation of A D-B's 'version' of the VIII legion, hence the lack of spiky bits and eight pointed stars :).

@ darth_giles: Cool, hopefully the way I've painted them on this mini will look 'fleshy' enough to pass off as impure oaths of moment :).

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: thanks :) I wanted to show a Night Lord doing what they do best; stalking prey. I never really liked the bat-winged helms of the old metal Night Lords marines and I'm quite glad that they seem to have been consigned to the pages of history. For a legion that is supposed to terrify their enemies they seemed a bit to 'novelty hat'-ish.

@ Biohazard: Thanks, I'm glad I'm getting reasonably good feedback about this mini, to be honest when I first posted it up I half expected a lot of "that's a damned legionnaire painted blue" type things ;).

So I've done a bit more work on the mini since my last post. As I mentioned above I've toned the blue down a little and I've begun filling in some details. I've also painted some wings around the skull on his right pauldron so he's rocking his legion marking now:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/NightLord3.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/NightLord4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/NightLord5.jpg

thanks

James

James, this model looks excellent for where the nightlords are going in adb's novels. with some lightning I think he'll look close to finished. glad he left his cerimonal<sp?> helmet back on the ship. keep up the good work cant wait to see it finished

@ Battle Brother Ludovic: Hi mate, thanks for the recipe. I've taken a couple of steps for it for this mini to tone down the blue armour slightly I've given it a watered down wash of Badab Black after highlighting it and glazing it with Asurmen Blue. As for the Chaosy-ness of the mini, I'm going with my interpretation of A D-B's 'version' of the VIII legion, hence the lack of spiky bits and eight pointed stars :P.

Glad it helped :) He just needs a splash of lightning and I'd say he's pretty much done. Oh, and is that a skull on his left-hand side? Doesn't look finished if it's supposed to be an non-charred skull ;)

Ludovic

For his backpack I would take a spike off a Termie trophy and pin in the middle like a banner.

I wish I saw this thread before I sold off my LoD.

I think the molded shoulder icon is a must,great job

What parts did you use for this? The right arm looks like it's from the Sternguard box, the left from the Death Company sprue... but the rest?

Backpack is a Chaos Backpack with the vent "arms" removed. Left arm, is it from the BA Death Company box.

TDA

Thanks for all the comments regarding this mini. I've done some more work on him this week and I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow. The parts list for this Legionaire is as follows:

Legion of the Damned Seargent body

Chaos Marine Shoulder Pads

Chaos Marine Back Pack (with 'wings' trimmed out of the exhaust vents)

Death Company Left Arm

Sternguard Veteran Right Arm

all of them were in my bits box and seemed to 'fit' together :devil:

thanks

James

Archived