My Sternguard

-JK-

Not made much in a while, so with this being my first squad in a long while, I thought I may as well share. Nothing too fancy; just a five-man Sternguard made from a tactical squad box with some minor kitbash converting. Like I said, nothing fancy but just looking to see what people thought ^_^

Marine with combi-melta and Marine with storm bolter

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Works%20in%20Progress/13.jpg

Marine with bolter + laser sight and Marine with the expected high cap mag + scope

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Works%20in%20Progress/23.jpg

Marine with scoped bolter and Marine from previous photo.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Works%20in%20Progress/3.jpg

They're for a new chapter I'm starting (Dark Angels successor) that thus far has no name. Colour scheme for these guys will be:

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae75/kennedyjr754/W40K/Space%20Marine%20Chapter%20Schemes/spacemarine2.jpg

C&C much appreciated, share your thoughts with me!

JK

I really like the sutble conversions, one thing in terms of gaming wise, a storm bolter on a Sterngaurd is a waste of a Sterngaurds special ammo rule, but as we all know and say, this is your army so you do what you want when you want with it.

Also how did you achieve the left handed shooting pose? I tried once and failed and can never find anything to help me out with it.

Rob

Also how did you achieve the left handed shooting pose? I tried once and failed and can never find anything to help me out with it.

I actually based my left handers off a guide from here a long, long time ago; maybe 4-5 years ago. No idea if it still exists. You could try doing a search here on the forums, there are probably various guides about, but I have a spare moment, so may as well explain :)

Basically, you will need:

- Some arms

- Some wire

- A pin drill

- Some green stuff/epoxy

- Usual tools/glues

Method:

1. Take your selected arms (I find that the rocket launcher bracing arm (left hand) and the standard tactical arm with the 3 parallel lines on (right hand) work quite well together).

2. Remove the hands and soft wrist armour on both arms so that you're left with just the solid wrist ridge at the end of each arm.

3. Use your pin drill to drill a hole in the centre of each arm (where the hands will go).

4. Glue some metal wire into each hole (resonable length that can be trimmed down later).

5. Carefully cut the hand from a LEFT-hand arm holding a weapon (usually being a bolt or plasma pistol) and trim off the weapon and soft armour from it.

6 . Attach this hand to the weapon of your choice, i.e. a bolter.

7. When glue is dry, drill out the centre of the hand to fit the wire protruding from the wrist.

8. Clip the wire to fit into the hand a reasonable and realistic distance away (leaving space for soft armour) and carefully bend it to suit the angle you want.

9. Glue the hand onto the wire and attach your new aiming left arm onto a marine (using blu-tac or something similar), to check the angles.

10. Cut the gripping hand off of a normal tactical left hand.

11. Remove the thumb, and carefully trim the hand to place the thumb the other way around - making the left hand a right one (don't fuss too much over the thumb, it can't be seen that clearly).

12. Drill out the right hand and right wrist and pin together to fit the bolter. If you are struggling with the angle, try pinning the shoulder to the torso as well, to leave a gap and make a better angle.

13. Glue it all together and sculpt soft armour in green stuff to fill in the gaps in the wrists and armpit (if you pinned the shoulder).

14. You have a left-handed marine!

Hope that wasn't too long winded!

May I ask, where is the square-magazine drum from on the scoped bolter? I'm gonna order some!

That drum mag was actually cut down from a spare Rhino pintle-mounted storm bolter I had knocking around. But that's not the only option; in the past I've used the mags from terminator storm bolters or cut down assault cannon ammo boxes. There's plenty of bits that with a bit of modification can be used quite happily as high capacity magazines.

Where did you get the laser sight, mounted on the side of the bolter?

That 'laser sight' was originally the binoculars from the sniper scouts box! It has since been cut in half, had the eyepiece removed and then been glued to the side of a bolter...

Archived