Shokk Attack Gun

Brother Valerius

So, my friend who plays orks has gleefully told me about his latest addition to his army... a shokk attack gun. First of all, I don't really know the codex, so I'm not even positive on what it does. He said it's a large blast ap2 weapon that is str 2d6, so that clears it up some. What I'm wondering is... should I be afraid? AP2 fire, let alone a large blast template, can really hurt a Marine army (especially GK, which is what I'd be playing him with). Is it really as big of a threat as it seems, and if so how would you recommend preparing for it?

The weapon also has a table of special effects if things like a pair of 6's or doubles are rolled. IIRC, on the double 6 anything touched by the template is removed from the board with no saves allowed. I believe there is also a result that places the template on the firing model, but I can't remember for sure.

It really is a threat; anything that ignores our armor is deadly. Essentially, its a Vindicator template that can't be stopped by inflicting one "wound," but it can be tied up in close combat. You may also get lucky and one of his rolls causes something Orky to happen to him... Or he may get lucky and the shot really hurts.

one of my opponent's uses a shokk attack gun, and as it is so random, it is rather hard to predict what it will do. it may get a "normal" str roll, from 2-10 and then scatter, or be low str and hit, or totally wipe out anything hit if he rolls double 6s, as orks have low BS, spread out and it shouldn't hit much. also consider that if he is bringing a shokk attack gun thats one of his hq's, so one less warboss/big mech with force field for you to deal with.

I'd love to say I've faced down these things a lot, but I really haven't. I can only remember one occasion when facing one and on the player's first turn he rolled a double and killed the Mek with the Gun, so it didn't do much.

I'd suggest staying in Rhinos if you can, or spreading out if you can't. As the strength is 2D6 then your averaging about S7, so against Rhinos they stand a good chance of surviving. Spreading out speaks for itself.

The best thing to bring is a sense of humour! It is still only BS2, so happily drifts quite often; the 2D6 strength makes it nice and unreliable.

If it rolls a double for its strength, it does something strange as according to its chart: double 1 and it blows itself up, double 2 and the opponent chooses the target instead, double 4 reduces to small template and AP6 etc.

Have a read of the relevant page, it is fun and funny. In fact, the whole Ork codex is worth every penny, a great read even if you don't collect them. Phil Kelly, need I say no more?!

Don't forget it's a heavy, and ordnance, for the other rules.

Also remember that the Ork player must choose his or her target FIRST, then roll for Strength. No rolling for Strength, and picking an appropriate target afterward.

You'll often see SAGs stuck in with a unit of Lootas with Deffgunz for ablative wounds, and the whole unit jammed in a ruin or forest for cover saves. It's a crazy large fistful of dice rolled every turn from the Deffguns, and then the big blast from the SAG. It can torrent almost any unit down in a turn or two.

the other thing to remember is that a roll of 11 (5,6) will also set off a special effect.

I used to use two quite abit. Its a decent weapon, a touch on the expensive side but it does provide a few things that Ork Players dont get much of (Low AP high strength and Long ranged weapons)

It can be great some games and just useless others.

Also remember a 6,6 will only cause an automatic (no cover save) hit on an enemy vehicle.|

Edit: Its also Ordnance so rolls 2 pen dice and picks the highest Vs. tanks.

I have a buddy who plays one every time he doesn't use Ghaz. I never had a problem taking it out, as one krak missile wound would cause instant death. Then I gave him the idea to attach him to a unit of grots, for cheap wounds. THis made him more effective, and he could usually land a shot or two before I killed him, but my whirlwinds still made short work of the grots, so he still isn't amazing.

My advice, take him out at the first opportunity, but don't sacrifice any units for it, you probably have greater mobility than I do as a vanilla player so you may even have less of a problem than me.

Archived